used to be 2b/c now 2A (heat damage)

LeleyLeley Posts: 41Registered Users
Hi ladies,
I'm pretty sure I used to be 2b/c hair type then I started straighting my hair for years. As a result I have REALLY damaged my hair to the point I have about 8ins of straight ends. My hair is just kinda Wavey now like 2A do you have any advice I'm planning on getting a major haircut! I have cut out heat been doing protective hairstyles my hair is currently up in a huge bun. Anymore advice would be awesome
Love and light L x

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I might actually still have hair that I used to straighten (only cut it once since going CG about a year ago). If anything my ends are curlier so I think it's possible to get curl back even in damaged parts (depending on how bad the damage is). Lots of protein and moisture helped me. I did protein treatments, and deep treatments can be helpful too. I find herbal powder treatments (in the realm of henna/cassia/amla etc) help me with volume and general appearance of healthy hair. Fenugreek too. There are easier deep treatments to do as well. You are off on the right start. The more time goes by the healthier your hair will become. Best of luck!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Leley , I love Curl Junkie Curl Rehab. Also, I got a present from Curl Mart: called "Don't Despair: Repair!" by BrioGeo which I mix with the Rehab - terrific stuff. An excellent Drugstore rich conditioner is Bumble and Bumble Super Rich Conditioner but it has cones, so if you are cg it won't be for you. Otherwise, it's expensive but very, very good.

Also, make sure you are eating healthy and include some very high quality protein. If you are not vegetarian, enjoy some meat, chicken, eggs including the yolks (the general feeling is that an egg a day won't raise cholesterol). Remember that hair is made up of protein so you want to make sure you are getting enough. If you are vegetarian, just make sure you are eating wisely. to get plenty of the good stuff.

Also include some fat and oils in your diet. If you like nuts that's a great idea - they have lots of vitamins and minerals also. The B vitamins are supposed to be essential to hair.

Please post back and let us know how your hair is doing! A great haircut with LAYERS is key also. Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • LeleyLeley Posts: 41Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply's �� those products you suggested sound great however I'm from the UK and I don't think I'll be able buy them. Protein treatment sounds good can you recommend a homemade one? I'm afraid the only way my ends will be repard is a cut but I can't cut atm az I'm getting married in 7weeks and need the length.

L x
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A good homemade protein treatment many use is the gelatin one on Sciency blog:
    Science-y Hair Blog: Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update

I also find saturating my hair in coconut milk for an hour before washing to be the best way I've been able to get protein into my hair.

Once your hair is heat damaged though, you can't really repair it. The only way is to cut it off. Of course, with your wedding, you don't want to do that, so just keep doing weekly deep conditioning treatments and you should be able to stop it from breaking off or anything until you get it cut.

Things like coconut oil treatments are really great as they penetrate the hair shaft and can kind of 'patch' up the cuticle. Not technically repairing it, but definitely helping loads.

What products do you use right now? What's your routine? Are you planning to follow the CG method while/after you transition back to your natural hair?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    I will continue to do coconut oil treatments. They only product I use is a leave in conditioner all natural. I don't really use styleing products as I don't think it will do much too my hair. I'm planning on washing my hair on Friday (day off) I was going to try a twist out and wear my hair out Friday night is this a good idea to try a twist out. I'd love to try the CG method after I get a cut and start with fresh hair.
    L x
    I would really recommend at least trying a styler of some sort. It can honestly do wonders and may be especially useful if you're doing twist-outs.

It doesn't need to be expensive. Boots have their own curl cream that's pretty cheap, or there's the Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends jelly in there for around a fiver.

What shampoo/conditioner do you use? What's your routine when you get out of the shower?

DC:

I would really recommend at least trying a styler of some sort. It can honestly do wonders and may be especially useful if you're doing twist-outs.

It doesn't need to be expensive. Boots have their own curl cream that's pretty cheap, or there's the Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends jelly in there for around a fiver.

What shampoo/conditioner do you use? What's your routine when you get out of the shower?

I shall try a styler.

I use head and shoulder shampoo and a cheep coconut conditioner I was going to buy a new shampoo and conditioner what would you suggest?

My routine when I get out shower is squeezing the water out my hair I don't wrap my hair as I herd this is bad. Or I would use the hubby to be old tee and wrap with that.

Then I'd apply leave in conditioner and just leave my hair to air dry I'm trying to stop combing my hair as I read this is bad too
    L x
    Thought id update this post, I'm now 2weeks in with my new hair cut.
    Today I'm having a good hair day. I've styled with hair gel and its given me some pretty good wavy's and good hold.
    But I want to deep condition as I figured it might help I have coconut oil but no idea where to start.
    Do I wet my hair then put the oil in?
    Or dry hair then oil?
    How long do I leave the oil on for?
    Any info would be great
    L x
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It takes experimenting. My hair will only tolerate coconut oil in small amounts as a pre poo. Others can really coat their hair in it (assuming they will wash it out the next morning). Others find that it leaves their hair hardened or dry or some other weird reaction. It's a matter of trial and error. When you put coconut oil on your hair, it takes about 8 hours for it to truly penetrate the hair shaft, so you may want to wear it overnight (and wrap your hair in a towel or cap so the oil doesn't get on your pillow).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Leley wrote: »
    But I want to deep condition as I figured it might help I have coconut oil but no idea where to start.
    Do I wet my hair then put the oil in?
    Or dry hair then oil? How long do I leave the oil on for?

This is totally subjective and really just depends on your hair. Just to note though, coconut oil isn't a deep conditioner.

I use it as a pre-poo. So basically on dry hair before I wash I'll melt it down and then saturate my hair with it. Some people detangle while doing this, but I don't bother. Then I tie my hair up and slip a plastic baggie on top and, sometimes, blowdry over the baggie for a minute to get some heat (which helps the oil penetrate).

I leave it on for as long as possible - if I do it the day I'm washing, it'll be a few hours, but sometimes I'll do it the night before and so leave it in overnight. It's recommended to leave it in for as long as you can and I'm certain I once read 12hrs was an optimum time (don't quote me on that though!). Anyway, then I just shampoo and condition as normal.

Other people may use it in other ways (maybe even adding some coconut oil to their deep conditioner, or using it as an ingredient for a homemade treatment with honey or something) but pre-pooing is the most popular choice around these parts I think.

Like I said though - whatever works best for you!

DC:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list