Jelly Recommendations Please

LeairdLeaird Registered Users Posts: 8
I am on the hunt for a new styling product. Jellies seem to do the best in my hair because the consistency keeps my curls held together in nice clumps until they dry. The jelly needs to be moisturizing and very slippery to work. It absolutely must glue my wet curls together in clumps or my curls look all stringy when dry. Yuck! I like to be able to SOTC and be left with nicely defined spirals with no frizz or crunchiness.

I have found 2 holy grails but can't get either one anymore:
Donna Marie MiraCurl
Curly Kinks Coil Jam (they take your money but don't ship the product angry9:)

I am currently using Mop Top Curly Custard. It's doing pretty good but isn't a holy grail for me. KKCC works great...once or twice. It builds up on my hair and after a couple of uses, looks like garbage. Plus, it makes me itch like crazy.

I always start with a leave-in conditioner and then top my curly styling product with a generous amount of Garnier Fructis PureClean Styling Gel. I LOVE this stuff! It gives me the hold I need (that nothing but MiraCurl ever has) and scrunches out great. However, it makes my hair look awful on its own. I have to have a nice base coat of a curly hair product to encourage my hair to curl properly.

So, what products can you recommend? I haven't explored too many drugstore brands yet but am completely open to them.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    I have listed 3 that I personally know of down below. They are offered at a variety of different retailers, and you can always go to their actual websites to see the complete listings of retailers that actually do currently sell these products at this time.

Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker- the version that U.S. out now is the 3rd reformulations of this product. Consumers had complained about the profuct flaking in their hair, which is what lead to the reformulations. I have never tried any of the previous version, but I can truly say that I absolutely love the current version that's out now and happen to currently own 3 bottles of it! It retails for $22 a bottle. And, it does come with a pump. It doesn't have an overpowering smell to it, it actually has sort of a natural, type of citrus scent to it (in my opinion), it is easy to distribute throughout the hair, it works well for me on soaking wet hair, I am able to use it with or without a leave in underneath and still get great results. It provides my hair with a nice amount of hold, shine, definition and frizz control. It does contain moisturizing ingredients within it, but I honestly don't find it to be really moisturizing to my hair on its own. For greater moisture, using a leave underneath it is your best option. I am only able to use this product in my hair on the 1st day (on my wash day). In order to achieve 2nd day hair, I use one of Camille Rose Natural's hair creams for such, in order to revive my curls each day all through out the week until I end up washing my hair again.however, there is a oroduct called Fresh Curl within the line that is designed to be used as a curl refresher, however I have never tried it, so I am not sure exactly how well it works.

Sweet Soul Magic Curl Stimulator- I have never tried it. This product was developed by one of the original owners of Uncle Funky's Daughter, that is no longer affiliated with Uncle Funky's Daughter at all, due to her and the other co-founder (her husband) divorcing. She started her own company called Hello Curly. She came out with a product that was supposed to be the exact same as the original version of Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic. She named her version within her new line, Hello Curly Curl Stimulator, but then it was later reformulated by the owner of the company of Hello Curly herself, along with the owner doing a company name change as well. Hello Curly is now Sweet Soul Magic, and what was Hello Curly Curl Stimulator is now Sweet Soul Magic Curl Stimulator and the ingredients are not the exact same as the Hello Curly Curl Stimulator. Sweet Soul Magic Curl Stimulator retails for $25, and comes in an 18 oz bottle., with a press down top, while its predecessor Hello Curly Curl Stimulator actually did come with a pump top to it instead. I never tried the Hello Curly Curl Stimulator, and I have yet to actually try Sweet Soul Magic's Curl Stimulator yet at this time.

Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic- I have tried it and did really like it. This product was later reformulated, however, due to popular demand, the current owner(s) of the company now sell the original version again (which a lot of curlies got great results with). And, this product does retail for $25, and it does come in an 18 oz. bottle with a pump top. It has a very aromatic natural citrusy+spicey scent to it, that I do find to be tolerable. I much prefer sweet scents, when it comes to natural fragrances added to products, however, due to the performance of the product, I would gladly buy the original version again. It provides a firm hold, is able to be easily distributed, and provides added shine, definition, and all day frizz control as well. Plus, it provides light moisturization to ones hair only. However, the usage of a moisturizing leave in underneath this product is perfect for providing to greater moisturization as needed. The leave in does not necessarily have to come from the Uncle Funky's Daughter line, as you can choose to use your own leave in of choice instead. For 2nd day hair and beyond with this product, I usually would just scrunch in a little bit more of the product to areas of my curls that needed reviving and that was it. However, Uncle Funky's Daughter does sell a Curl Refresher Spray within their line, that individuals can use towards revitalizing and reviving their curls as needed.

I must say, my hair happens to actually respond to jelly type gels the best. And, my favorite one was actually Donna Marie's MiraCurl Curling Jelly until it became indefinitely out of stock.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • LeairdLeaird Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thank you so much! I will definitely check those out. I am especially hopeful since your hair also liked Miracurl. It was amazing stuff for me. Unfortunately, I didn't find it until the end and only got one bottle before it went out of stock.
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    I too, like what the jellies do for my hair. However, I'm not willing to pay the high prices for the commercial products. So, diy flaxseed gel (which to me is more a jelly) is my answer. Granted, making it yourself isn't fun, and neither is having to keep it in the refrigerator. But the results are sooo worth the effort and customization via oils, proteins, etc, tailor's it to your hair.
  • LeairdLeaird Registered Users Posts: 8
    I have made a batch of flaxseed gel once before. I need to figure out to customize it. The smell of it was too much for me to continue using it. I know I can remedy that with some essential oil. What else do you recommend adding?
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    RE: FSG I currently use a customized version of Sweet Curls Elixirs crazy curly hard hold gel. What you should add to FSG can vary based on your hair; some add salt, or protein; others add things for hold like cornstarch or gelatin; others add things for moisture like aloe. Cinnamon essential oil smells great and covers up bad scents pretty well.

For commercial products I like Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Moisturizing Jelly. Nothing has helped my hair clump like this before. It has lots of aloe which my hair likes. I can use it to slick back flyaway ponytail hairs too.

Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly helps boost my curl.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    I use SpiralSolutions Curl Enhancing Jelly. You can still get that on Etsy.

LOVE that stuff!! It most definitely "enhances" the curl. Works beautifully in my hair.
    I use SpiralSolutions Curl Enhancing Jelly. You can still get that on Etsy.

LOVE that stuff!! It most definitely "enhances" the curl. Works beautifully in my hair.

Sounds like a great product! I have never tried anything from the Spiral Solutions line before, however, I am definitely willing to give this product a try. As, my hair absolutely loves jelly type gels!

Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • MsPMsP Registered Users Posts: 116
    Are jellies similar to Jam and Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste or are they another name for hardening gels containing PVP? I won't try them since I am happy with conditioner only, but just wondering. PVP is a very bad ingredient for me so wondering if they contain them and I need to avoid them too.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    I love Mop Top Curly Custard. Super hydrating!!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
    MsP wrote: »
    Are jellies similar to Jam and Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste or are they another name for hardening gels containing PVP? I won't try them since I am happy with conditioner only, but just wondering. PVP is a very bad ingredient for me so wondering if they contain them and I need to avoid them too.

Jelly type gels don't have the consistency of either Jam or the Curls Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste at all. The curling jellies that I have tried, which happen to be (Donna Marie Miracurl Curling Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, and CRN Curl Maker) are natural based, do not contain PVP in them at all, and happen to have a what I would happen to refer to as a type of slimy or snotty type of texture to them. I find them very easy to distribute throughout the hair. And, they do provide shine, added hold, frizz control, definition, and light moisturization to ones curls as well.

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte

My definition of a jelly product is gelatinous consistency without the chemicals. My hair likes the more natural products, too. After reading this thread, I had to use the DM Curling Jelly yesterday. Great curls! Also like the CK Coil Jam. Botanical Spirits has two jelly product. I really like the UFD Curly Magic by whatever name.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    It comes in a bottle, but it has a jelly consistency as it is sort of "watery". If you don't mind a silicone, Ouidad Climate Control Gel is like the best of the best when it comes to clumps, SOTC, and consistency.

I second the Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly recommendation - but I always need to use something on top of it if it's not summer. Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets is pretty good too, although it can get that product-y feeling like KCCC can give.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    kathymack wrote: »

My definition of a jelly product is gelatinous consistency without the chemicals. My hair likes the more natural products, too. After reading this thread, I had to use the DM Curling Jelly yesterday. Great curls! Also like the CK Coil Jam. Botanical Spirits has two jelly product. I really like the UFD Curly Magic by whatever name.

Isn't is something how we have different curl patterns and properties to our hair, but yet, our curIs such get great results from using natural curling jellies on them. I totally miss DM Miracurl Curling Jelly so much. I only wish that I had stocked up on it, before it went indefinitely out of stock. I have never tried The CK Coil Jam or any of the Botanical Spirits Curling Jellies, but I will certainly put them on my list to try in the future. I absolutely love UFD Curly Magic! I was recently able to get 2 bottles of them of of the UFD website, at a sale price (which I was super excited about since UFD hardly ever has sales), and I actually received my order yesterday. I cowashed and Dc'ed my hair very early this morning, applied only UFD Curly Magic to my hair, since I wanted to see if it really would react to my hair, the way that the original version has always done. I can honestly say that the current version of UFD that's out now, has the same original ingredients, has the same smell and same consistency that the original version always had. After my hair had fully dried, my curls were left nicely defined, shiny, and with no frizz to my curls at all. My curls do have some crunch to them, but I always get that on 1st day hair, whenever I use UFD Curly Magic by itself in my hair. During the week, the crunchiness ends up always going away, so that's really no big deal. So, I can honestly say, that UFD Curly Magic's original version that's out now that they switched to after numerous complaints over the 2nd version version, performs the same in my hair, just like the original version that I had been using before the company ended up being sold to a new owner.

• ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Registered Users Posts: 143
    I tried the As I Am Curling Jelly today, and it's really nice! I need to play around with it a little, but I can tell that this product is going to work as I got decent results my very first time using it. I found it at Walmart, so maybe you can get it there too!

I also prefer jellies as opposed to gels...I can't ever get gels to work how I want them to. Jellies are a bit more forgiving.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file