Questions from a newbie to the CG routine.

BreebBreeb Posts: 2Registered Users
Can someone point me in the right direction to read more about the CG routine? Firstly I want to read up and try and work out if it is for me or not - I have dry/slightly damaged hair that is wavy. I'm obsessed with washing my hair, I was washing it every day, sometimes twice a day! :oops: I've now cut back to every two days.

I have been using bumble and bumble and I absolutely love the products, are their products (all or selected ones) suitable to use with the CG method? If selected ones are could someone list which products are suitable please? :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KaterinaKaterina Posts: 117Registered Users
    Breeb wrote:
    Can someone point me in the right direction to read more about the CG routine? Firstly I want to read up and try and work out if it is for me or not - I have dry/slightly damaged hair that is wavy. I'm obsessed with washing my hair, I was washing it every day, sometimes twice a day! :oops: I've now cut back to every two days.

I have been using bumble and bumble and I absolutely love the products, are their products (all or selected ones) suitable to use with the CG method? If selected ones are could someone list which products are suitable please? :D

Thanks in advance.

Hi, breeb. Welcome to the no-poo msg. board.

Gretchen, I think it is, has put a sticky note which is an intro to the no-poo routine: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/viewtopic.php?t=98232.

Another thing you'll want to do is obtain a copy of Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl book. It explains a bit more about the no-poo routine, plus has some recipes for natural hair-care concoctions.

You want to avoid using shampoos and conditioners with sulfates, silicones and siloxanes. Siloxanes and their similar sounding names are another way to say silicone. Most silicones are not water soluble. There are a few that are.

I don't have the URL, but investigate this in the search engine: Sweetpeacurli's Silly little web site. If you just put Sweetpeacurli in there, it should come up with her site. On the left side of is a menu, and towards the end of the menu is are 2 links; one's for silicone-free conditioners, the other is one for silicone-free, sulfate-free and protein free products. Start with the one for silicone/sulfate free. Over time you'll be able to determine if protein is also something you'll need to eliminate. I'm just now trying to work on that and see if it's something I need to do.

I don't know what you hair's like when it's not damaged, but I've recently tried Burt's Bees Raspberry and Brazil Nut and Nature's Gate Lemongrass and Clary Sage. Both of these are possible for use on the CG routine; it will be more a matter of if your hair needs those ingredients, or what formulation will work best for you.

I'm very new to this routine and I've only been on it for about 2 months. I am still working on smoothing some kinks, but I hope that info will help. There are some other MUCH wiser women on the boards who will hopefully chime in before too long. They'll give you great advice, I know.
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    Katerina:

Congratulations, look at how much you've learned already! You have given Breeb such great advice there is really nothing I could add except one more vote for her to read the entire "Curly Girl" book as it does a really good job of explaining how and why conditioner can be as good a cleanser - yet much more gentle - as most shampoos as long as the basic principles of the routine which you just mentioned are adhered to.

Breeb:

If any of the products you have is not listed in the website Katrina gave you, just come back and copy the list of ingredients for us and we'll tell you whether they are "CG"-friendly or not. Best wishes in your new hair adventures! :D
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file