Confusion & much needed motivation

LynzeyMcCampinLynzeyMcCampin Posts: 2Registered Users
Last year in September, I cut my hair short. Reeeeeally short lol. My curl type is 3B (Curly spirally) & my curls grow OUT, not DOWN. They sat just a little bit below my shoulders before I cut it. Previous to this, I took a hair journey for 4+ years where I took great care of my hair (I still do & I haven't used heat in like 6 years & still going). My main reason for cutting my hair was because I had big hair all my life & I was ready for change; that & I was tired of everyone thinking I was significantly younger then what I really am. I do not regret cutting my hair, however, I'm just bored with it & I DO NOT believe in putting on some fake hair in order to compensate for what I cut.

I eat not so great, I'll be honest, & I know that can help contribute to better hair growth, but I just want to know what vitamins can help & what foods I should at least try to consume to help me grow out this hair? I have virgin hair now as well 😁👍

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi. Different people seem to have different answers to this question, but my take is that keeping your diet as balanced as possible is best. I don't take a bunch of supplements or anything like that, but I eat a lot of protein and green vegetables, which I feel help a lot. I can detect a difference in the health of my hair during periods when I don't eat these things, and keeping your existing hair as healthy as possible will help you be able to maintain it as it grows out. Foods I find helpful are things like fish, nuts, avocado, spinach, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, things like that. If you do want to take vitamins, or feel your diet could use the extra help, I'd strongly encourage asking your doctor about it and getting their perspective on the amounts.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • LynzeyMcCampinLynzeyMcCampin Posts: 2Registered Users
    That's just my biggest struggle, the motivation to eat those things that I KNOW will help me not only with my hair but my well being. I'm a hairstylist so I'm constantly on the go (as cliché as that sounds), however, I'm proud to say I barely ever eat fast food. Do I eat OUT? Yes lol. I know I can't cut out my bad food out completely because I realize that that only makes me eat worse, I just have to learn to at least incorporate SOME healthier food choices. That's probably the hardest thing for me because I take damn good care of my hair not just with organic products but all the way down to my satin pillow case lol
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to struggle with this as well (eating less healthy and wishing I ate more veggies). What motivated me to eat strictly non processed food and incorporate fresh produce was some health problems. At first it was difficult to adjust but now it's no big deal. There are healthy foods that are ready made and don't require much fuss…. for example, tempeh (pre cooked) which I put in soup (miso soup is good so long as it's organic). I don't mind throwing in some ready to go seaweed (from clean-ish water sources). Coconut oil is great for skin, hair, brain, anti inflammatory…. it melts in the summer and you can throw it in just about anything, oatmeal (which is also a quick healthy food), cook with it, etc. Healthy oils are really key; so many processed foods have veggie or seed oils which are not good. Butter and other saturated fats are stable to cook with. Eggs are also quick if you eat them hard boiled (make a whole big batch at once). Nut butters are great, and sometimes I'll throw in blackstrap molasses (tons of minerals, said to help grey hair) with that, ACV, yogurt, cinnamon, banana, walnuts, and yum! Also one of my favorite things to do is make veggie smoothies. Throw in some fresh produce, and if time is an issue, use frozen fruit (rather than having to wash more fresh). Put in some water and seeds (flax seeds, black seed, etc). Yogurt or oil is good too for the fat soluble nutrients from the veggies. You taste the fruit but get plenty of fresh raw veggie that way. Royal jelly is very healthy, lots of B vitamins for the hair and body, and I have it first thing in the morning mixed with raw honey. Anyway those are some of the things I do for easy healthy raw foods that don't require much (if any) prep time, and all good stuff for the hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh and to answer your question, I've seen anecdotal reports that applying sea kelp bioferment to the scalp resulted in fast hair growth. But those products have preservatives so not strictly health oriented (unless you make your own). I imagine that eating seaweed is highly beneficial to overall health and hair.
    Some people say biosil helped their hair grow; others say FoTi (he shou wu) helps, but that one is an herb and should be used with caution and care. B vitamins are always good. Anything that helps collagen production is also good for the hair, so that would also include Vitamin C.
    Also, black seed oil applied topically to the scalp is said to help hair growth. I take it internally, as it's also a strong anti-inflammatory as well as potent free radical scavenger. It is strong tasting, and can be mixed with something (fruit juice perhaps, but make sure it has no added sugar) if taste is an issue.
    Rosemary applied to the scalp and taken internally is good for health, memory, and hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file