Less gel, more fun?

BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So it's no secret I'm a bit of a gel junkie. I'm sure you guys known by now that I swear by my Ouidad gel.

I've always used gel (well, since I started wearing my hair curly a couple of years ago) and I've always used a lot of it.

On Saturday I washed my hair and was thinking about that product-free picture thread we have going on the boards. I didn't want to go without product because I was going out later that evening and was worried it might look disastrous, but I thought . . . hmm, what about if I used a really tiny amount of gel, instead of my usual bucket-load (LOL).

I have to say: I really like the results. There wasn't a drastic difference in my definition or 'springiness' and my hair looked fuller and thicker at the ends as well as the root. Which was awesome because sometimes my ends can look a little thin.

There was slightly more frizz, but nothing drastic and I'm rocking third day hair today.

It's quite an interesting little 'discovery' for me. I had to use a lot of gel, I think, when I was first starting out, because my hair wasn't very healthy and was really dry/damaged, so little to no gel meant I'd get a huge undefined puff.

Seems now my hair is healthy I'm able to use far less styling stuff than I used to/would've thought.

It's really encouraging to notice differences like that, no matter how small or random!

I'm definitely going to try a 'sans product' day at some point next week :D
3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
DC:
Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Comments

• Maggie86Maggie86 Posts: 83Registered Users
    I am glad u are finding new ways to do your hair...I used to use a lot of mousse before discovering the CGM and once I read that it was better to use a gel than mousse I started to experiment with it...at the beginning I would use a lot!! I mean a lot...once I broke the gel cast it was nice but it looked "heavier" than I liked...I swear now I only use a mini drop of gel just for the ends of the hair and I love it, seriously once the hair is healthy I think that less is more specially when its about products, do you have any pictures?
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I get less shine when I use too much product. Sort of a dulling effect.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i start out with little or no gel, then add as i need it throughout the day, the next day...... less is more!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • thundersweetthundersweet Posts: 35Registered Users
    I'm going to try this. I'm struggling with volume in my thick but fine hair. Im always looking for more volume up too. Maybe this would help!
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maggie86 wrote: »
    I am glad u are finding new ways to do your hair...I used to use a lot of mousse before discovering the CGM and once I read that it was better to use a gel than mousse I started to experiment with it...at the beginning I would use a lot!! I mean a lot...once I broke the gel cast it was nice but it looked "heavier" than I liked...I swear now I only use a mini drop of gel just for the ends of the hair and I love it, seriously once the hair is healthy I think that less is more specially when its about products, do you have any pictures?

Yeah, it's really awesome to see how much my hair has changed with CG! It's not that lots of gel made it look bad, just it was never as thick as I remember it being. Guess that was just a case of me being too heavy-handed haha.

I'm going to do it again next time I wash my hair (tonight) so I'll post pictures tomorrow for sure! It'll be good to do a comparison shot of lots of gel vs a teensy bit

DC:

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm going to try this. I'm struggling with volume in my thick but fine hair. Im always looking for more volume up too. Maybe this would help!

I definitely think it would! For some reason I never thought of gel affecting volume, because in my mind you SOTC and so the gel kind of 'disappears' anyway. Apparently my logic was no logic at all LOL.

DC:

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Every so often I get it into my head to try using a small amount of gel, but perhaps because of my giant wave pattern, I seem to get big hair without much shape or definition. Apparently I need the gel to make the hair dry without expanding. I'm excited for you though, after a couple years of CG it's nice to see your hair's needs changing for the better. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file