ombre hair

UKCurlyGirlieUKCurlyGirlie Registered Users Posts: 23
Hi all,

I want to have my hair subtley ombred (see pic attached) but my hairdresser friend said the only way to apply the dye is if my hair os straightened first. Has anyone else had an experience of this? Or is straightening not necessary? I haven't used heat on my hair for about 3 years, and even then i only used heat sporadically.

I have also attached a recent pic of my hair :)

TIA x
3a/b super short, curly
dry hair :(
co-wash, yes please!
been natural all my life :thumbright:

Comments

• NYCgirlNYCgirl Registered Users Posts: 236 Curl Neophyte
    I've never heard that before but some stylists do things differently. I have ombre and highlights in my curly hair and my stylist never straightened my hair first. She does blow my hair out to trim it but that's pretty much it. In looking at the photo of model Jourdan Dunn maybe your stylist feels the best way to make sure the ombre is consistent leaving the same amount of darkness at the root is to straighten it. Just guessing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • MsPMsP Registered Users Posts: 116
    This really is not a big deal. If you want your hair straight without the heat, just dry it in a top knot bun then take it down and wrap it around your head in a "wrap". Look up videos of how to wrap the hair on youtube. Then go in with straight hair to get your procedure done.
    Best wishes.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Straightening isn't necessary at all.

Lots of curly folks have ombre and don't straighten it first. I don't see why it would need to be straight. When you brush dye on your hair you kind of wet it anyway which drags the curl down. Unless she thinks it'll look crooked if she does it on curly hair? If that's it, then she's probably just not experienced enough with curly hair.

(@MsP wrapping doesn't work for all hair types. I know that would never work on mine – my root curl is too strong.)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • TashiMarieTashiMarie Registered Users Posts: 3
    I have my hair ombre'd and I never had to straighten it. I feel as though some stylists are very particular in how they like to apply the ombre and that may be the way that your stylist is most comfortable doing it, but I certainly don't think it is a must do. If you don't want to use any heat on your hair I would just wash it at night and tie it up in a bun or braid it to straighten your curl pattern out :) Excited to see your results!! I love my ombre. Make sure you Moisturize a TON and prep your hair for the process, and do expect some dryness afterwards
    Blog: curlsnglam
    YouTube: Tashi Marie
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I can't speak for ombre, but I can speak for particular stylists. Some can only see what they are doing when the hair is straight. Others it doesn't matter. If you don't want your hair straightened, either do what MsP suggested or find another stylists who can do it with your hair curly. It's probably easier to see when straightened, but I think this really shows the laziness or lack of education/experience that the stylist has. Or maybe the fact that the ombre might be completely uneven when the hair is straightened after doing it curly - because, you know, everyone wears their hair straight. ..eye roll..
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • freshmintcurlsfreshmintcurls Registered Users Posts: 21
    Honestly, I would not at all be worried about whether or not she straightens your hair.

The chemicals used to give you an ombre will dry you hair out like crazy and most likely wreck shop on your current curl pattern. I know because I did the very same thing last week. Personally I did it with the express intention of growing it all out and going to my natural color, so I accepted that I'll be rocking a beach wave instead of curls for the rest of the summer or however long it takes me to get some semblance of moisture back in my hair.

If you aren't comfortable with the idea of applying a little heat (even though to answer your question, no, it's not necessary. Mine was done without prior straightening, although in the interest of full disclosure she backcombed the bejeezus out of it), you probably will not be happy with the price you pay for bleaching it. And don't let a hairstylist lie to you. Yes, it's bleach, and yes, it will damage your hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file