Shea moisture smoothie just sits on my hair?

Hi,
I love the definition that the curl enhancing smoothie gives my transitioning hair, but it seems to just sit on top of my hair??? any rec's for a product that gives similiar definiton, but actually absorbs? ty!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is fine/low porosity. The SM Smoothie sits on my hair, and a lot of others, too. But no extra curl definition. As far as other products go, my hair prefers the more natural products that don't have a lot of chemicals, especially polyquats 4, 7 & 10. You may find some of the products in my signature helpful.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried the milk from the same line? I've had better luck with that, the smoothie gave me exactly the results you described. Definition with a weird feeling like it didn't absorb.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    That's why I don't use the Shea Moisture smoothie the way others do. I'm not really sure what people mean by "it sits on my hair" but the smoothie makes my hair feel gross. However, what I have been doing with it very successfully for some time now is using it as a RO conditioner after co-washing. I co-wash with my Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner and rinse that out. Then I put the Shea Moisture in my hair and pin it up while I finish my shower. I then rinse it out and my hair looks fantastic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    My first experience with the SM line, came by way of their CES. I saw it in my local Walgreens one day, while I was cruising their haircare isle, and I had heard a lot of hype about this product, and even though it says for "Thick, Curly Hair", and I happen to have curly hair that is not thick at all, but due to all of the moisturizing ingredients that I saw listed in it, I decided to take a chance and buy it anyways. So, I washed and conditioned my hair, applied this product to my soaking wet hair section by section. I used What I thought was an appropriate amount for my hair and I ended up with white stuff on top my hair that felt like it took forever to fully penetrate my hair entirely. Then after it had finally finished drying in my hair, and the white stuff had all disappeared, I felt that I was left with a film on my hair. I was so upset, after using the CES for the first time, that I actually had swore off using snything from the SM line ever again. I eventually ended up, after an extended period if time, deciding to give the line another try, along with the CES.

Now, I can definitely understand the CES being a product that some people will either love, or some will surely wish that they had never tried in the first place. The CES actually ended up becoming one of my product staples. However, I had to go through a learning curve in order to achieve success with it. On 1st day hair, I still apply it onto freshly cleansed and conditioned, soaking wet hair, section by section. I apply it in just the right amount that works for my hair, making sure to thoroughly smooth it through until I don't see any whiteness on top. My hair takes long to airdry with whatever product I use in it, so with the CES it is certainly no different. For 2nd day hair and beyond, I don't re-apply anymore. I simply use another SM product for reviving my curls with daily in the mornings instead. As, using the CES in my hair daily=buildup city.

Now, I have never had any problems with any of the SM shampoos and conditioners that I have tried thus far. I also happen to get pretty goid results from most of the SM products that I have tried, however, their Curling Gel Souffle is one product that is a total miss for my hair, and it just sits on my hair leaving it looking greasy, feeling tacky, sticky, with poor curl definition, and a real lack of frizz control overall. Truly one of the worst products that I have ever used in my hair.

And, I would definitely like to see SM start doing better when it comes to the scents of some of their products, as some of them definitely are on the strong side, or they happen to have sort of a weird undernote to their scents. As, I actually really like their new JBCO Leave In, but that product smells like vanilla+ some sort of chemical type of scent that I can't even place. Some have even said that it smells like playdough. Thank God, the smell is not overbearing, or I wouldn't be able to even use it.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's why I don't use the Shea Moisture smoothie the way others do. I'm not really sure what people mean by "it sits on my hair" but the smoothie makes my hair feel gross. However, what I have been doing with it very successfully for some time now is using it as a RO conditioner after co-washing. I co-wash with my Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner and rinse that out. Then I put the Shea Moisture in my hair and pin it up while I finish my shower. I then rinse it out and my hair looks fantastic.

By "sitting on my hair," I mean just that. It doesn't absorb by the next morning, if I use it prior the morning when I style my hair--that's 24 hours. I have to "wash" it out, it doesn't rinse out, for me. There are styling products that I've used as a rinse out to get rid of them. I gave this away and never heard how it worked for the people that received it.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curlybee1Curlybee1 Posts: 55Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just started using the smoothie and find I only need a nickel sized dollop or less; I put way too much in the first time and had issues with flat, greasy/buildup hair. I use KCCC and/or OCC over the smoothie and CK mixed with leave-in under the smoothie.

For the milk- I only need a pea-sized amount that I use to SOTC; any more is a disaster! I've been on the same bottle since September.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »

By "sitting on my hair," I mean just that. It doesn't absorb by the next morning, if I use it prior the morning when I style my hair--that's 24 hours. I have to "wash" it out, it doesn't rinse out, for me. There are styling products that I've used as a rinse out to get rid of them. I gave this away and never heard how it worked for the people that received it.

That's pretty much what it does for me, too when I use it the way most people do. I actually have to WASH it out with shampoo; cowashing doesn't do it. But I do like using it as a "rinse out"; I think it makes my hair look fantastic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • fade_to_grey13fade_to_grey13 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I love SM Smoothie in the winter with KCCC - my hair soaked this stuff up really well, and I got up to 3rd day hair with no producty feel and nice defined curls. But around early to mid April, all it did was sit on top of my hair, like you said... left it producty/gunky and stiff. I switched to Giovanni Direct Leave In for the summer. I'd try it again when the temp/dew point falls again. If you'd rather use it up than wait, it makes a great deep conditioner also.
    SC & College Curly!
    2c/3a, low po, med/coarse hair width, low density, APL
    Cleanse: DevaCurl NP*
    Condish: DevaCurl OC (Still searching for HG conditioner!)
    Detangle: KCKT*
    LI: KBB SA Nectar, Giovanni Direct Leave-In*, SM CES
    Stylers: Ecostyler OO Gel*, KCCC
    Clarifier: KC Come Clean*
    DC: mix of SM M&H DT*, SM CES, TJ Tea Tree Condish, ORS OO Condish, olive & coconut oil, and rosemary, lavender, & tea tree EO ( * = HG)
    Favorite hair accessory: Goody's Spin Pins
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe try in the shower with sopping wet hair?

3B, Fine, Med D, Normal P & E

LowP: Giovanni 50/50
    RO: Giovanni 50/50
    LI: DevaOneC/SM Smoothie
    Styler: DevaLight Gel/Ultra Gel
    Refresher: LI
    DC: SM JBCO/Manuka Masque
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file