cruelty free conditioner for co was? (preferably cheap?)

So I just started co washing and I really love it so far. It's a time saver and a hair saver. However, I also just recently started paying a lot more attention to what I put in my hair as I'm transitioning slowly from vegetarian to vegan. I'm using suave naturals right now, which is tested on animals. I'm looking for a vegan alternative and preferably one that's cheap. One of the things I Loved initially was that co-washing would cut down so much on my hair care budget because of only using a cheap conditioner, Dr. Brommer's soape (which I already always have in the house and use for everything), and a once-in-a-while deep conditioner I make myself (tonight I tried avocado oil and olive oil. I don't think it's going so well haha)

I'm a college kid on a budget so I'd really love to keep that cost down. If someone could recommend a drug store product would be great. I've looked into yes to carrots but read that it can build up. I heard that trader Joe's is great and I'm leaning towards that, but I don't have a Trader Joes where I live so I would have to buy it online, which I'm trying to avoid. Other than that, all of the cruelty-free drug store products I've read about have gotten mixed reviews. Thanks!

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey I'm a college kid and also vegan. I'm working on getting things condensed with my curly hair stuff. I messaged shea moisture and most of my products are vegan. I got rid of my favorite line though-the coconut and hibiscus. :(
    It has silk in it.
    Shea Moisture has a new professional line available at Sally's- I think the cowash is vegan. I love Shea Moisture so I'm biased. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Google vegan hair products/no animal testing hair products.
  • MegancqMegancq Posts: 8Registered Users
    Google vegan hair products/no animal testing hair products.

I have spent hours, probably years of my life doing so. Lists of cruelty free products are almost never 100% sure and backed up by fact and some are flat out wrong. Information conflicts all the time and sometimes things are cruelty-free but aren't listed on certain websites and then are listed on others. Also, as brands change hands their status changes like I'm 90% sure (after hours of research) Vo5 did when it was sold from unilever to High Ridge Brands. When you google Vo5 cruelty-free you get almost an entire page of just articles saying it definitely is NOT cruelty free. And I'm pretty sure after some digging and a few emails to corporate headquarters that they're alllll wrong.

Also companies are super fond of lying about whether they test on animals or not and a lot of people accept those lies at face value. So Herbal Essences is called cruelty free all the time because its label says so, but its parent company Clairol does conduct animal testing. A lot of them say they don't test at all but they sell in China, which legally requires animal testing, so they obviously have to be doing some animal testing. And then it becomes a whole other problem of researching which companies sell in China (sometimes under different names.)

How I really really wish it was as simple as googling it. Ugh that would be so great. But for now I'm going to save myself time and stress and ask people who may have some suggestions off the top of their heads :) (and then research their suggestions afterwards haha)
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I would definitely recommend the As I Am Coconut Co wash. This product is cruelty free. It Is very affordable priced, and you can find it just about anywhere (both online and in drugstores as well as beauty supply stores too).
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • MegancqMegancq Posts: 8Registered Users
    I would definitely recommend the As I Am Coconut Co wash. This product is cruelty free. It Is very affordable priced, and you can find it just about anywhere (both online and in drugstores as well as beauty supply stores too).

Ooh sounds good, I think I'll try it! I've been eyeing some of their stuff in stores but hadn't noticed a co wash.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Megancq wrote: »

Ooh sounds good, I think I'll try it! I've been eyeing some of their stuff in stores but hadn't noticed a co wash.

It's normally placed where the As I Am products are within the drugstores or in the beauty supply stores where it's sold. It comes in a 16 oz jar, so hopefully that should help you with better locating it amongst the rest of the As I Am products. Plus, you can always ask a sales associate within the store to quickly locate it for you if desired. I definitely hope that you will try it, and end up loving it just as much as I do!:toothy4:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • BeBeautyAshleyBeBeautyAshley Posts: 11Registered Users

I also love this co-wash!! Smells awesome, which is a plus!
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 313Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am a veggie, and try to use cruelty free products as well!;) I really used to love love the TJ's nourish condish for co-washing, that is until they added dimethicone, but I believe it's a dupe for Giovanni's 50:50 balanced condish/ or at least it performs a lot like it. I like both of these because they are very moisturizing and have good slip. Both brands also have a tea tree condish, that is less moisturizing but really nice as well. I also would recommend the tub of As I am co-wash, although it is more expensive. I find all the above mentioned products, (except for Trader Joe's of course) at Target.
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Even though I'm not vegan or vegetarian (though I was one for quite a few years and couldn't continue due to health issues): I only use cruelty-free beauty products! It's a lot easier to be cruelty-free today than it was a few years ago, as you probably know.

Some great cruelty free brands that are reasonably priced that I'm using and or have ordered to try out are: Kinky Curly, As I Am, JessiCurl, Paul Mitchell, Camille Rose Naturals, CURLS, Curly Hair Solutions, Shea Moisture, Darcy's Botanicals, Miss Jessie's, Mixed Chicks, Giovanni, Carol's Daughter, Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp and Tamanu, Mop Top and OBIA. I'm sure that there's other brands that I'm unaware of that are also cruelty free. DevaCurl, is also cruelty-free, but is a hit and miss with some people -- myself included. I just wanted to mention that, as well.

I think that CurlMart and Amazon are wonderful because you can select, "Cruelty Free," as an option when searching. Here's the link for the CurlMart one.

Granted, I haven't tried every product that I listed above, I plan to! Most of them can be bought via Target and Walgreen's if you prefer buying in-store versus online. :flower:
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file