Do I really need to use shampoo?

Sooo its been a month I use the CGM and Im in love with my hair again for the first time in years I only cowash with conditioner no shampoo whatsoever for the last month, yesterday I decided to make a hair mask out of honey, coconut oil and conditioner, my hair was so greasy! I washed it as usual (just conditioner) And it was still greasy...today i washed it again and still greasy! Im thinking I may have to use shampoo to take all the mask out of my hair but im afraid I will lose all the progress with my hair (frízz free hair And good hair days every day) what do u think? Should I shampoo?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair can't tolerate coconut oil without being shampoo'd out either (and it takes multiple shampoo'ings usually). I remember I recently clarified my hair and I was worried I'd lose my progress, but my hair was sooooo much better after, stronger curl pattern. Just washing once in awhile is fine. There are people on this board who shampoo every time, some every other, some weekly or monthly etc. And they have beautiful hair. It's a learning curve to figure out what your hair can tolerate with just CO washing, and when you need to clarify. My advice, FWIW, is clarify. You won't regret it. You don't even need to pre poo, because you already have the coconut oil pre poo in your hair. :) Pre poos help negate the drying effects of shampooing.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Maggie86Maggie86 Posts: 83Registered Users
    Thanks naturecat! I think you are right, if I have to shampoo already I better clarify...lets see how it goes I will post tomorrow to let u know :)
    Just to clarify (pun intended), I don't think you need a clarifying shampoo per se, just use anything with surfactants and it should (unless you really went overboard) be able to get the oil out of your hair. Good luck! And I'm glad CG is working out for you.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Thanks naturecat!! I clarified today (I did use a clarifier shampoo) and even though my hair is not better it isn't worse either so I don't think I lost all the progress I've made, thanks for the advice!! no more greasy hair, finally :tongue3:

[IMG]http://[/img]image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Your hair is gorgeous!

3A/f/i
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Maggie86 wrote: »
    image.jpg

Your curls look absolutely beautiful!
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    Thank you girls, you just made my day! :love7::love7::love7:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I keep a very basic sulfate shampoo around, without silicones and with very few ingredients in general, because my hair just needs it from time to time. Using a shampoo occasionally won't set you back to square 1, so don't let it scare you too much. A gentle sulfate free shampoo from time to time is also helpful, and you can always leave your conditioner in for a bit longer than usual afterwords to help your hair recover. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file