Flat roots from co-washing

itslisaitslisa Posts: 2Registered Users
I have long, thick, frizzy, 2B/2C hair that's down to my waist. I do not like the co-wash brand I am using right now and right after I get out of the shower my roots look very flat. The next morning I wake up, I see build-up/residue and oiliness in the roots. I think I need something stronger to clean my oily scalp, but a bit more gentle than a shampoo. I shampoo my hair two times a week and would like to be able to co-wash it almost daily. Please help.
The current products I am using are:
L'Oreal
Paris EverCreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo
SheaMoisture
Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
As I Am
Co-Wash
OGX
Extra Strength Moroccan Argan Oil Penetrating Hair Oil

Comments

• chupiechupie Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    itslisa wrote: »
    I have long, thick, frizzy, 2B/2C hair that's down to my waist. I do not like the co-wash brand I am using right now and right after I get out of the shower my roots look very flat. The next morning I wake up, I see build-up/residue and oiliness in the roots. I think I need something stronger to clean my oily scalp, but a bit more gentle than a shampoo. I shampoo my hair two times a week and would like to be able to co-wash it almost daily. Please help.
    The current products I am using are:
    L'Oreal
    Paris EverCreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo
    SheaMoisture
    Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    As I Am
    Co-Wash
    OGX
    Extra Strength Moroccan Argan Oil Penetrating Hair Oil

Some wavies can't co-wash. I can partially. I do fine with the As I Am co-wash. I have a big bottle of Suave Clarifying poo that I dilute and use about every other, every third time, or I'll mix just a little in with the AIA so that the root area does not get as you describe. I still get the conditioning effects that way.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You might get on better using a conditioner as a co-wash, rather than a co-wash product. I'm also thinking your problem could like in the SM smoothie you're using. That made my hair so lank and gross :(
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I first started co-washing, my big problem was technique. You really have to massage the conditioner into your scalp with the pads of your fingers, sometimes adding a bit more water as you go to increase the slip. Then you have to really rinse quite thoroughly. These things sound a bit obvious, but it really did take me a bit of time to get used to doing it properly. Everyone's different, but the L'oreal products you mention really made my hair limp and weird, and I've read about a number of people here having similar problems with them. Just my couple of thoughts.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • bookgirlbookgirl Curl Neophyte Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The "Intense Nourishing" EverCreme products contain mineral oil, which can cause a lot of buildup for many people. I use and love the regular nourishing ones with no mineral oil without problems, but had to throw out the "intense nourishing" conditioner.

Also, the SM Smoothie was WAY too heavy for my hair. I've had better luck with the Styling Milk from the same Coconut and Hibiscus line, although even that is very rich and I tend to stick to using it in the winter.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file