Question for Pattern Pusha users

lj2lj2 Posts: 130Registered Users Curl Novice
I really want to love this gel and have been using it on and off for years. I love the natural hold and feel I get from this but the problem is that every time I use it for any extended time, I end up with a really dry, itchy, flaky scalp. I wonder if I am having a reaction to the propylene glycol or something else. I have tried leave ins, sealing etc underneath but still the same results. Does anyone else have this problem and any recommendations. Also, for those who have the NEW formulation, is it any more moisturizing. I have the old one. Thanks so much for any info….there are so many things I like about this product. Just wish I could use it.
3A, fine, low porosity. Hair tends to be dry/frizzy

Favorite product lines: Curl Junkie, Sevi Organics
Shampoo: Curl Junkie Daily Fix, CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, All Sevi Shampoos
Conditioner: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Smoothing Conditioner, Repair Me (really all CJ conditioners), All Sevi Conditioners
Styling: Curl Junkie CCCC & Pattern Pusha, CJ Smoothing Lotion, CJ CIAB, Anything Sevi

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,350Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i find the new formulation to be more moisturizing. and it doesn't flake (i never had a problem with flaking, but some did). you can look up the ingredients for the new one on the cj website.
    if you scrunch it into your hair rather than raking it in, maybe that would help?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • lj2lj2 Posts: 130Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks rbb. I was hoping you would reply. I know from reading the posts that you really like pattern pusha and are familiar with the product. It's good to hear that the new formula is more moisturizing and doesn't flake. I think I may try it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Conditioner: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Smoothing Conditioner, Repair Me (really all CJ conditioners), All Sevi Conditioners
    Styling: Curl Junkie CCCC & Pattern Pusha, CJ Smoothing Lotion, CJ CIAB, Anything Sevi
    thinking about it, your scalp problem sounds more like an allergic reaction. ????

also, here is a great article by the curl chemist on propylene glycol:

Should You Be Worried About Propylene Glycol?

"thinking about it, your scalp problem sounds more like an allergic reaction."

That's what I thought at first….because of the propylene glycol. Yet, a lot of the CJ products have propylene glycol in them and I don't react the same way. It's really hard to tell. It could be something else in PP, yet the ingredients are pretty simple. So….I just caved and ordered the new Pattern Pusha as an experiment:-) I really do like the way my hair looks with PP so it would be great if the new formula solves the problem.

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just bought a bottle of the new formulation but will use up the old bottle first! I've never had a problem with this product and I feel like I can have reactions with a lot of common products like Suave Naturals, Yes to Carrots/Cucumbers, etc.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

i've been using this to refresh my hair this week. 2nd day hair was curlier than wash day, 3rd day (today) is curlier than 2nd day. it keeps getting better (altho i think 3 days is my limit, i feel i need to at least cowash by that point).

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    i've been using this to refresh my hair this week. 2nd day hair was curlier than wash day, 3rd day (today) is curlier than 2nd day. it keeps getting better (altho i think 3 days is my limit, i feel i need to at least cowash by that point).

Are you able to use CJ Pattern Pusha all year round with no problems? I was interested in buying it, while Curlmart has free shipping going on. I like for my stylers to be ones that I can use basically just about all year round. Which is why, I am asking.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    all year round, high dews, low dews, mid dews. it's so convenient i don't have to worry about differences inside/outside, etc., nor watch the dew point....
    wet hair, damp hair, dry hair.....

Just wanted to post an update. I got the New pattern pusha and have been using it for several weeks now everyday. I really like this formula a lot better. I have no flaking or itching and the hold is noticeably stronger. Although it has a stronger hold, you can still scrunch it out and have soft, really natural feeling hair. I have been using the Sevi serum underneath and have been getting great results. I can now pair my two favorite products. So glad I tried the new formula. Didn't think it would make a difference but it really did for me.

glad it worked out. i agree, the old pp was good, this one is graat!

btw, based on your comments in another thread i ordered the sevi serum, it is enroute. cannot wait to try it.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Glad the new formula works for you! I really love the Repair Me, but that one makes me itch! :(
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    rbb- I really hope you like the serum. I absolutely love it for my hair. You will have to experiment a bit though as it is really moisturizing. It is kind of working as a sealant for me. I use CJ rehab as leave in and then two pumps of the serum and it seems to seal my hair nicely. Like you, my other favorite sealer is SS emollient butter. So hopefully your hair likes the serum as well:-)

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recently received a bottle of the new formula but need to finish the old formula I still have, a whole bottle plus a little. I'm anxious to try it. I LOVE PP! I'm also wanting to try the Sevi serum...maybe with my next order.

So Rbb, when using the PP on 2nd and 3rd day hair how do you apply it?
    on 2nd or 3rd day i rarely add anything to my hair. sometimes i will dampen my fingertips and massage roots of my hair, but mostly not.
    the days that i do add a product it is almost always pp. pp works great on dry hair. i just scrunch it in, and/or maybe twist a curl or several with pp. i just look to see where it is needed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file