I might have broken my foot....question

koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This question is for anyone here who has broken their foot before? How did you get to the doctor to get treatment? I cannot walk let alone make it down the stairs to even get in a taxi. If only it would heal by itself. From what I read on the internet I think it is a metatarsal stress fracture...

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    right foot or left?
    can you drive?
    wrap it really tightly, and hop!!
    do you have a friend who can drive you?
    get a cab?

my college roommate once fell down the stairs (and we laughed hysterically for a really long time) - but a couple of years later, she learned that she'd actually broken something - it healed wrong and she was forced to do PT for a long, long time and has to wear orthopedic shoes and custom made orthotics because of it. I wouldn't risk letting it heal by itself.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Perri it is my right foot. I think I have friend who will take me to a podiatrist. I hope that is right doctor for a foot fracture. I have an ace bandage in a first aid kit maybe that will help in the meantime along with ice and elevation.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,813Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If you think your foot is broken, you should go to the ER or Urgent Care for an xray. Feel better soon!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I am getting x-rays asap. Now I have to figure out how to wash my hair....
    kneel in front of the tub, pour water over your head

ETA: but, probably this isn't the most important thing right now, getting the foot tended to is - the longer you wait, the more risk of more permanent damage. Specifically, if the bone begins to heal incorrectly, they'll need to REBREAK it to fix it.
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.
    Good idea about the kneeling by tub to wash my hair Perri. Also, thanks for reminding me to get to the doctor asap because it could get worse the longer it goes untreated. I do have an appt in a couple days. It is fortunately improving a little from RICE--rest, ice, compression and elevation.

I will keep you all posted and thanks everyone. You are all really great!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,813Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    koolkurl wrote: »
    Good idea about the kneeling by tub to wash my hair Perri. Also, thanks for reminding me to get to the doctor asap because it could get worse the longer it goes untreated. I do have an appt in a couple days. It is fortunately improving a little from RICE--rest, ice, compression and elevation.

I will keep you all posted and thanks everyone. You are all really great!

An appointment? For an x-ray?

The podiatrist I am going to has an X-Ray machine in his office.
    Hi everyone I wanted to give you an update. I saw the doc and the x Ray revealed I have broken 4 th metatarsal. He put an ace bandage on my foot and a big ugly boot I have to go back again in 2 weeks There was no dislocation so that was good news!

Thanks again everyone for your support and help! Curly girls rock!
    I'm so glad you saw the doctor
  • loriwassloriwass Posts: 4Registered Users
    I had the same type of fracture a few years back. My doctor casted me for six weeks, then two weeks in a boot. We had a new puppy at the time, so I think that is why he casted me from the beginning. I know of other people who just got a boot for 8 weeks. Your other leg is going to try to compensate for the height difference between your regular shoe and the boot. Good luck with your recovery.
    Thanks Loriwass for sharing your experience and for the good wishes. Hopefully I will recover in 8 weeks with the walking boot. I am starting to get the hang of walking in the walking boot. It reminds me of the Earth Shoes I wore in the late 70s. I suppose I should be walking less though and then maybe I will heal faster.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file