Head scratcher.

MyocardialMyocardial Posts: 41Registered Users
Hey guys!

So I used to wash with Jessicurl gentle lather shampoo/Giovanni tea tree shampoo and aloeba and faith of nature conditioners. However even though Giovanni is claryifying and aloeba is light my curl would fall right out during the day and be too soft and almost slimy. If I did a pt it would help a little but not enough.

So I decided to try the smooth as silk line by Giovanni as smooth as silk has protein and the shampoo has citric acid which I need because I have ridiculously hard water.

I got so much volume and my hair stays like its suppose to.

The only down thing that with this routine I get quite a bit of shed hair whereas before I got none. I don't know if this is because before I used to have to wash it everyday but now I don't? Every 3 days.

Moreover do you think a pre poo like coconut oil might have to be added in my regime? My hair is fine so I guess it would help to detangle, cause less shedding whilst helping keep the protein in?

I don't really want to have to change products but if you know of a protein conditioner or hard water shampoo that might be better, let me know!

BWXmAz7.jpg

Too soft, stretched wave, frizz and after a while loss of wave. Previous routine.

Volume and defined. Current routine. Oh and the elusive second day hair ;)

mm3G4D1.jpg
2B, high porosity and fine hair.

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I don't know if I can help with the shedding issue, but if those are the results you're getting I may finally pull the trigger on Smooth as Silk. Holy cow!

(I'd even take your previous routine - gorgeous! I do't know how I'd do with the Jessicurl; I can't find an oil concoction that doesn't pull all my waves out.)

Actually, after re-reading, I notice more shedding in general if I've gone a day or two inbetween washes since I'm not detangling every day... If I wash every day I see less shed hair because I'm not shedding 2 or 3 days of hair all at once. As long as it's not too much I wouldn't stress over it. We lose 50-100 hairs a day on average.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Depending upon the formulation of the Giovanni TTTT that you had, the newer one has less surfactant. If you have ridiculously hard water, this was probably the issue - it wasn't clarifying enough. The old formulation had the surfactants at the beginning of the list - the newer one has them toward the end. The Smooth as Silk has a bit more harsh surfactant in it and toward the top of the list, so that's probably why it does so well for you (and maybe why you have an increase in shedding). Citric acid in hard water is a lifesaver! Also, aloe is a humectant, so if you're not in optimal dew points, your curls will fall limp throughout the day. Mine did that all throughout the winter until I switched my products up and used less humectants.

Your hair looks beautiful in both of the pictures, but man, that second picture - drool! I love your curls and volume.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Your hair is so beautiful omg 😱😳

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree that your hair is absolutely beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • MyocardialMyocardial Posts: 41Registered Users
    Hey spiral! So you're saying that if I had like 50/100 hairs come out the shower that would be normal because it is all coming out at once?

Jessicurl makes my waves super limp. Even the shampoo. I would recommend smooth as silk if you are fine, easily over conditioned and have hard water. Just not sure if it's thencause of shedding haha.

Amy, I believe I have the new formulation of tea tree. It made it squeaky clean but my curls didn't seem to stay and I had way more frizz. Even though the first couple of times using it, it was fine! Do you think maybe I should try kinky curly come clean shampoo and conditioner and see if that provides similar results? When I wash with a sulphate it's better too but too harsh. I don't know if it's just the hard water because Shea moisture retention shampoo gives me volume but makes my hair stringy; which I think is due to the argan oil.

I think I'm destined to have a slightly harsher shampoo. I'm not very sure what normal shedding in the shower is.

Thanks for the compliment fellow curlies! Everyone on here has lovely curls and I get super jealous with some of them.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OMG your hair is amazing!!! I think there is a huge shed difference washing every three days.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Myocardial wrote: »
    Hey spiral! So you're saying that if I had like 50/100 hairs come out the shower that would be normal because it is all coming out at once?

Jessicurl makes my waves super limp. Even the shampoo. I would recommend smooth as silk if you are fine, easily over conditioned and have hard water. Just not sure if it's thencause of shedding haha.

I really do think this might be the case. I know that when I go a day or two in between washes, I get a much bigger hairball in my shower strainer, but I don't ever seem to be losing hair in any great capacity. If I am showering more often I get smaller hairballs. Products may play a role to be sure, but as long as you aren't seeing overall hair loss (thinning in density, for example, over time) I wouldn't worry over it.

I may get some of the SAS conditioner to try out - I've been looking for another lightweight leave in and this might do the trick for me. Thanks!

:thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    Kinky Curly is still pretty harsh, but worth a shot. I really loved Yes to Cucumbers shampoo when I lived in a super hard water area.
    I love the SAS conditioner but let me know if it's any good as a leave in spiral!

Yeah I thought so Amy and I'm guessing was is less harsh?
    It's so hard to find con and shampoo for hard water lol!

Thanks Chupie!
    OMG yes it is!! I had so many problems when I had hard water. Sally's ION Crystal Clarifying Treatment is amazing if you ever want to try a chelator.
    Hard water is tough to be sure.

I did try the Yes to Cukes shampoo once and my fine hair really hated it - I think it was the oils high up in the list or maybe the xanthum gum - but everyone is different to be sure (I do remember Amy raving about it!). I hope you find a good one, although you look like you're having stellar results with the SAS already :)

My hair hates YTC in soft water, I can't use it anymore - so sad. I agree with SAS results... I think you've found a winner.
    YTC made my hair super tangly.
    I think it might be either the shampoo or just the conditioner that needs changing becuase I tried to see if the tangling and shed hairs would reduce with a moisturising conditioner like jessicurl too Shea which is usually too heavy with the lather shampoo and its fine with sas shampoo or even a sulfate shampoo. Less hairs too becuase I was getting a little worried with the amount.

I think I've been saying products are fails when really it's the stupid shampoo! Curse you hard water.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Myocardial, your hair in unbelievably gorgeous!

Yup, add me to those who notice lots more hair shed if I go longer in between washes. You don't shed hair as much with curly hair (it stays in place rather than falling), so the shower is the only place for those daily sheds to show up.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    naturecat wrote: »
    Myocardial, your hair in unbelievably gorgeous!

Yup, add me to those who notice lots more hair shed if I go longer in between washes. You don't shed hair as much with curly hair (it stays in place rather than falling), so the shower is the only place for those daily sheds to show up.

Yep. That's the truth. I don't do "second day hair" but I have, occasionally worn my hair in a bun or ponytail for a couple of days between washing and the longer I go, the more hairs that are in the drain when I do wash it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file