CurlTalk

How do these gel ingredients sound? Build-up? Drying?

Here we go:

Water. PVP/VA, triethanolamine ,Carbomer, Aloe Vera Gel, Propylene Glycol, Oleth-20, fragrance, Methylparaben ,DMDM Hydantoin, red dyes...

Since I started trying gels again, I'm going nuts looking at all this stuff. I know about alot of the ingredients, but not sure of the above combo -says it's a dry hair formula, extra hold, non-flaking, but so do they all :? ...any opinions?

TIA :)

Comments

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    This gel looks fine to me. No drying alcohols, and nothing should build up.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    Out of curiousity, what gel is this?

Water--no explaination necessary
    PVP/VA--hold ingred
    triethanolamine --pH adjuster, makes it more alkalyne which can be a little drying because hair is more acidic
    Carbomer--humectant that has a gel-like texture at more alkalyne pHs (hence the triethanolamine)
    Aloe Vera Gel--aloe is moisturizing but some find it frizz-inducing
    Propylene Glycol--humectant
    Oleth-20--emulsifier (makes everything stay mixed)
    fragrance
    Methylparaben--preservative
    DMDM Hydantoin--preservative
    red dyes...

Since I started trying gels again, I'm going nuts looking at all this stuff. I know about alot of the ingredients, but not sure of the above combo -says it's a dry hair formula, extra hold, non-flaking, but so do they all :? ...any opinions?

TIA :)[/quote]
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Out of curiousity, what gel is this?
    Oops. Sorry-Almost did the same thing on this on a 3a thread. It's Lustrasilk Extra-Hold Styling Gel. I used it today for the first time over CnS leave-in, and it's wonderful! Fairly defined, springy spirals, not too much frizz-I can't use straight aloe gel because it seems to dry & frizz my hair. The hold seems good, only it's not really humid today. I hope it holds up in the summer. No great loss, though. It was $2.49 in a supermarket that usually has more expensive prices... :)