Natural heat protectant

Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I have fine, wavy hair (2a), and I occasionally like to straighten it, maybe once every couple of weeks. To do this, I use a blow dryer and a round brush. Can anyone recommend a good all-natural heat protectant? I assume that some kind of oil would be good, as the heat would actually cause the oil to absorb into my hair (I have low- to normal-porosity hair), but I have to be careful that the oil doesn't weigh my baby-fine hair down. Thanks!
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• CurlyAeriCurlyAeri Posts: 21Registered Users
    You should use All Natural African Shea Butter, it is high in protein which is good because heat cooks protein so instead of it frying your strands the Shea Butter will act as a shield and take all that unwanted potential damage for you :) It's always worked for me ! Good luck:)

P.S. you could also try coconut oil, i hear that works wonders !
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the shea butter suggestion! I do have pretty good luck with products that have shea butter in them, so shea is worth a try. How much do you use?

My hair does not like coconut oil--it makes my hair crispy.

Today I was wondering about trying sunflower oil for a heat protectant. I think sunflower oil can handle high temps, and I see that it is an ingredient in a lot of the conditioners that I use. It it supposed to penetrate the outer part of the hair, though I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing for a heat protectant. I wonder if for a heat protectant you want something that stays on top of the hair, like shea butter.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • cheesycurlscheesycurls Posts: 16Registered Users
    Grapeseed oil has a higher burning point when used in the kitchen.

I've always use grapeseed oil when straightening my hair with heat.

Back to lurking!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thank you, cheesycurls! I'll give it a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file