Does anyone else have stunted hair growth?

WhimsicurlWhimsicurl Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Or I guess it may be length retention. I feel that I see less breakage, but my hair still is taking forever to grow. Its clear I haven't had the healthiest hair journey, because I've been natural for a veeeerrrry long time and my hair still isn't the lusciously flowing length that I should have arrived at by now.

Does anyone else have this struggle? Let me know I'm not alone lol

I generally just try not to think about it. I know I need to trim more often but I refuse to cut off too much of my hair. I love my hair too much and this is the shortest I'll go.

My hair is not even, it naturally grows in layers (which has pros and cons - con being the longest point is not the overall length). My longest layer is mid back/bra length when stretched, but not with shrinkage. My shorter top/front layers are shoulder length or slightly longer when stretched, but not with my shrinkage. My usual stretching only leaves a shoulder length appearance over all, just fuller. Short hair, basically. -.-
24y/o - 4a - Medium texture - Medium to high Density - Medium to High porosity - Still figuring things out

Low-Poo: SheaMoisture Moisture Retention
No-poo: Terresentials Pure Earth Hair Wash
Cowash: Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle, SheaMoisture Purification Masque
Leave-in: SheaMoisture Restorative, Nature's Gate Hemp
Styler: SheaMoisture Curling Gel Souffle
Deep Condish: Trying out KBB Luscious Locks, SheaMoisture Purification Masque
Oils: Coconut, Jojoba, SM Elixir

Comments

• nu_natural10nu_natural10 Posts: 114Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You are not alone but I know my hair grows like weeds when properly cared for. Maybe you need a new routine?
    Shampoo: Terressetials Mud Wash (lavender or lemon)
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
    Deep Conditioner: Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish
    Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think there are two reasons to trim. either to purposely stay at a certain length or as needed to removed damage. If you have damaged split end s that you refuse to cut for the sake of length then that't not loving your hair imo because in the long run you are doing more harm than good and you'll have to cut more off than if you got the trim when you needed it. A good thing to do are search and destroys. Maybe once a month Go through your hair strands and wherever you see a split end or raggedy severely knotted snip it off. I find doing search and destroy Keeps me from having to cut s much. Also you might look at what you are using to seal your ends. I do better with heavy dealing at ends.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Posts: 405Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    I think there are two reasons to trim. either to purposely stay at a certain length or as needed to removed damage. If you have damaged split end s that you refuse to cut for the sake of length then that't not loving your hair imo because in the long run you are doing more harm than good and you'll have to cut more off than if you got the trim when you needed it. A good thing to do are search and destroys. Maybe once a month Go through your hair strands and wherever you see a split end or raggedy severely knotted snip it off. I find doing search and destroy Keeps me from having to cut s much. Also you might look at what you are using to seal your ends. I do better with heavy dealing at ends.

I agree with this...

Also, if you find that you're doing the most and getting same old results then it may be worth it to take a quick glance at your diet. Somewhere along the line I remember realizing that my 'high school' diet wasn't working for my 'adult' life.... :happy6: but the point is there are certain things our bodies need a consistency of and without it, all your other efforts will be futile (example... a multi vitamin, biotin, msm, more omega oils/flax/chia etc., or increasing your greens and a little less of other foods especially soda)..

Within about 2 months (which will seem like forever when you're wanting your hair to grow) I began to notice increased growth because my body was likely deficient in those nutrients. Then once the growth got going, I just focus on retaining length with a 2 week at a time protective style. Mine was Curlformers and two strand twists but whatever works for you. And do the search and destroy like adthomas said, so you don't have to trim off too much at one time.

Hope this helps!
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I am right there with you. I have been natural for over 10 years and I see people on year 2 with hair longer than mine. I'm so frustrated right now!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file