Not For You!!

Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Any makeup looks that you have tried and hated? Eye, lip and cheek colors that look horrible on you?

I can not do most blue eye shadows, and I am perfectly okay with that. I can pull off a dark navy (like creams better) and very sheer washes of light or ice blues. All work better if they have a purple or gray undertone. Aqua's and turquoise are okay but only in small amounts. A liner, outer corner, etc. That is how I handle most bright and bold shadows. They have one small place in the look. I will not be buying UD's Neon Palette.

I am also a little scared of greens. I find some colors make my eyes look smaller or translate to clown on my face.

Orange lipstick is a no no. It has to be the perfect coral shade. I can find it hard to pull off some peaches.

Refuse to do neon pastel lips. I tried it once with a baby blue in my 20s. Never again.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Speaking of lipsticks... This emilynoel83 Wild Lipstick Try On video is cute. I find lipsticks like that fun for halloween, bright neon pastel pinks included. Not a daily look in my book. Reminds me of the 80s too much. I could not do Candy Yum Yum. No no. Not for me. Toned down versions or deeper bright pinks I like. I even like some slightly frosted mauves and deep plums or berries.

http://youtu.be/08cLEADDvds
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SirenSongSirenSong Posts: 30Registered Users
    Hmmm... I have red hair and very fair skin, so I find that I'm not able to pull off most bright eyeshadow, either.

I look great in neutrals- love the Naked palettes. Soft purple eyeshadows are good for me, but a lot of pinks aren't.

I also can't do orangey lipsticks. If I wear red, it's gotta be true red or a blue-red. Pastels are really hit or miss for me because of my light skin- darker colors are usually better.

I also CANNOT pull off the super-structured eyebrows that are really popular right now. :P They always come off too dark and I look completely silly.
    2C/3A | MC/ii | normal-low porosity | very good elasticity
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have dark hazel eyes, very light (peachy) skin, medium brown hair.

Because I have a "warm" complexion/hair/eyes, blue liners & shadows don't work for me at all.

I'd love to wear siren red lipstick but it looks awful on me. Can't wear bright pink either.

Can't do any type of contouring. Bronzers make me look dirty and the highlighters glow, not in a good way.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This a great video on how to use color in a wearable daytime way. http://youtu.be/Sfg8e7W_0PE
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    SirenSong wrote: »
    Hmmm... I have red hair and very fair skin, so I find that I'm not able to pull off most bright eyeshadow, either.

I look great in neutrals- love the Naked palettes. Soft purple eyeshadows are good for me, but a lot of pinks aren't.

I also can't do orangey lipsticks. If I wear red, it's gotta be true red or a blue-red. Pastels are really hit or miss for me because of my light skin- darker colors are usually better.

I also CANNOT pull off the super-structured eyebrows that are really popular right now. :P They always come off too dark and I look completely silly.

I do not even bother trying the structured brows! I'm more of a clear or tinted brow gel person anyway. Swipe and go. I've never been a brow junkie. I'll use a blonde or light brown, fine, pencil to fill in a couple spots or use a blonde/light brown powder alone.

We have a lot in common. Fair, cool undertones. My natural hair color is a mixed bag/dirty blonde but has a pretty strong strawberry tint so I dye it a dark strawberry blonde & have green eyes. I can only do blue based/cool reds & some deep reds. Love purple shadows & red based browns. I can wear a lot of pinks but have to be careful with some peaches.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I have dark hazel eyes, very light (peachy) skin, medium brown hair.

Because I have a "warm" complexion/hair/eyes, blue liners & shadows don't work for me at all.

I'd love to wear siren red lipstick but it looks awful on me. Can't wear bright pink either.

Can't do any type of contouring. Bronzers make me look dirty and the highlighters glow, not in a good way.

^ You have not found the right one yet! I could not get anywhere near bronzers for years. They all looked like dirt on me but I have found some nice ones over the last 2 years that are great. I wish I could pass alomg some colors to you but our undertones are different. There are some good videos on YouTube about different bronzer and contour colors for different skin tones. You can even pick a powdered foundation that matches your skin tone but it a shade darker and use it as a bronzer. You don't have to stick with the traditional ones. Some buy a cream foundation stick a shade or two darker and use it to contour.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    chupie wrote: »
    This a great video on how to use color in a wearable daytime way. http://youtu.be/Sfg8e7W_0PE

Thanks Chupie!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MAinsleyMAinsley Posts: 9Registered Users
    I tried Cien brand several times, just a waste of money... Fortunately I didn't spend too much money...
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I look ridiculous with any dark eye makeup such as a smoky eye, or even any kind of eyeliner on the bottom eyelid rim. I don't understand why 😟

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eyeliner on my lids. Anytime - subtle, winged, it just looks SO weird on me. It sucks because I'd love to be able to do it, but whenever I try it looks . . . odd. Maybe because I'm a bit useless at it anyway, but honestly I just think there's something about my eye shape that makes it look crappy
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Bott, what's your eye shape?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Botticelli have you tried smudging an eyeliner pencil through your top lashes? If mascara suits you then this will work as it just makes your eyelashes look thick and dark :) I have to be very careful with eyeliner too, or it will end up making my eyes look weird. Bottom rims are a total no go and so are the inner corners of my upper eyelids. I love winged eyeliner but I make it look less heavy by keeping it to just the outer two thirds of my eye.

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CP, I've attached a photo of my eye so you can see what I mean!

Eveum, I can sometimes use eyeshadow to do an extremely thin smoky line that looks oookay, but that's about it. I would LOVE to be able to rock winged liner, it looks gorgeous on you!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nude lips are a total fail for me- my lips are too dark for it to look anything close to okay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Nude lips are a total fail for me- my lips are too dark for it to look anything close to okay.

Me too! I have to add something to make any nude lippie work.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Here's no makeup. Nude lips make me look like a corpse, even when the rest of my face is made up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    A nude lip just means a neutral lip! It's kind of like a natural "no makeup look". So a 'nude' lip doesn't mean using a pale/frosty lipstick, it means a lipstick like your natural lip colour but better, very slightly darker or brighter. Wearing lipstick paler than your natural lips can wash a lot of people out. Depending on your skin tone your ideal nude lipstick could range from peachy pink to mocha/brown tones. :) Apologies if you already know this but I see a lot of confusion when it comes to the term nude.

eveum wrote: »
    A nude lip just means a neutral lip! It's kind of like a natural "no makeup look". So a 'nude' lip doesn't mean using a pale/frosty lipstick, it means a lipstick like your natural lip colour but better, very slightly darker or brighter. Wearing lipstick paler than your natural lips can wash a lot of people out. Depending on your skin tone your ideal nude lipstick could range from peachy pink to mocha/brown tones. :) Apologies if you already know this but I see a lot of confusion when it comes to the term nude.

But what I'm saying is that especially for having relatively pale skin (today's pic is with full face bronzer after a week in Florida, so I'm normally more pale than that), my lips are very rosy. So a MLBB lip color looks like a fully dressed up lip. I can throw on clear gloss and people assume I'm wearing regular lipstick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I will never be able to do any sort of pale lipstick because it looks awful on me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Let me count the things:
    - no cool makeup tones whatsoever - I'm very warm-toned.
    - bright lipsticks of any type
    - most bright eyeshadows although I love the looks of them
    - pastel-colored makeup
    - smoky eyes
    - winged graphic eyeliner
    - any type of hard-looking eyeliner, ESPECIALLY black or navy
    - bright blushes
    - matte lipsticks, and there are so many of these around now:(
    - matte foundations or sunscreens

What DOES work:
    - warm neutral makeup was MADE for me, and definitely MLBB looks, deep nudes. Some neutral metallic eyeshadows(gold, copper, bronze). Rich color in general but NOT too bright, not too dark, and not too light
    I've never worn pink lipstick or a pink lip in my life. I'm pretty convinced they wouldn't work on me. I much prefer wearing reds/berry tones/plums.

Honestly one Lippie I think anyone could wear is It Cosmetics Je ne sais quoi. It's like a very sheer pink and it's just .... Well the name says it all. It just adds a certain "I could not say what".
    I look ridiculous with any dark eye makeup such as a smoky eye, or even any kind of eyeliner on the bottom eyelid rim. I don't understand why ��

I can pull off dark shadows and smoky eyes. When I was in my teens and 20s, I loved using a dark red-brown shadow. That makes my green eyes pop more than purples. I could not wear liner on the bottom, though. In the rim, on the lash line, nothing. I could do any type of liner on the top but the bottom looked crazy. Absolutely crazy. People would ask why I didn't wear it and I would show them what it looked like and they would say.. Oh, no! It doesn't look good. Lol. I felt that way until I was in my late 20s and then I tried it and it looked good. Strange. I think it has everything to do with maturing a bit. I still mainly line the top and do mascara on top and bottom (used to hate mascara on the bottom too). Most of the time I will reach for a darker shadow and use it on the bottom rather than a liner but I love doing a little line on the outer corner of my lower lash line and smudging it out or using light and dark colors in the rim. The Clinique Quick Liners smudge so easily and the UD 24-7 work great in the water line.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Corrina777 wrote: »

But what I'm saying is that especially for having relatively pale skin (today's pic is with full face bronzer after a week in Florida, so I'm normally more pale than that), my lips are very rosy. So a MLBB lip color looks like a fully dressed up lip. I can throw on clear gloss and people assume I'm wearing regular lipstick. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I will never be able to do any sort of pale lipstick because it looks awful on me.

I'm the same way. My lips are a berry color so unless it's a light and sheer gloss, there is no point for me to even try the pale shades. Not that I want to. I would not bother covering my mouth with concealer or foundation to pull it off. That and I hate them. Can't stand the beige or peach death shades. I don't like the lavenders or super light to Pepto pinks either. I personally think they look terrible on people. I will wear berry and darker, brighter shades but I'm happiest with a balm.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The YouTube Gen Y/Millennial Gals seem to love them, though. I enjoy watching some of their videos but when they are done all I see is Drag Queen eyebrows and My Little Pony lips. Seriously. Lol. I have been happy that a few are changing the lip looks around. Hello, you are 26-34 now. Drop the sherbet!!!

It's just recycled 60s & 80s trends. Nothing we have not seen before, more than once, just like everything else. I had enough of 80s lip colors in the 80s. Think I owned some Barbie Pink as a kid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sloka25sloka25 Posts: 78Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know how people with my skin tone manage to wear blush, I look like a clown.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    I hate the way bright / light lipstick looks on me. You know the light pinks, reds, etc. I LOVE dark lipstick, especially dark red and purple.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

Sloka, if you can find a light tan/rose blush it could work for you. Some of the very expensive lines like Chanel have that type of blush but yikes the price!

The blush would have to be quite light and well blended so that it looked natural on your pretty, very even toned complexion.

Some people find that if they use a cream blush under their foundation, instead of over it, it looks more natural.

Also, maybe a bronzer would work better for you than a blush. Or maybe skip the blush and try a really deep lipstick! Nice with your coloring, I would think.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file