2b/c wavy hair low poo or co-wash advice

CherrycurlCherrycurl Posts: 7Registered Users
I've had trouble with co-washing since I took up running. I'm washing the same way and with the same products (V05 or Suave naturals) that I've used since I started co-washing years ago, but now there seems to be a buildup on my scalp and itching when I co-wash. A friend even remarked that my freshly washed hair looked like it had product in it - it didn't. I caved and started using low-poos out of desperation and it strips my hair color a lot faster than I'd prefer.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is sweat too much for co-washing?

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Some of us have to low poo instead if no poo at least every other wash day. I even dilute sulfate (dilute a plain sulfate Suave Clarifying shampoo in an applicator bottle. About 2 tsp to four oz. water). With the added activity I recommend getting something like Kinky Curly Come Clean which clarifies nearly like a sulfate.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • chickittenchickitten Posts: 90Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm also active and I have color treated hair :-), I've never tried co-washing out of fear of agitating my scalp condition. Any sort of product build up makes it really itchy and horrible. So what I've been doing is using two shampoos- a light moisturizing shampoo and a non sulfate clarifying shampoo. I've been using the SheaMoisture's Superfruit Shampoo (love it, moisturizing but not heavy, has great lather, claims it's color-safe too :happy7:) and their African Black Soap Shampoo (can be drying if used alone, but excellent at removing buildup). I've had great success with using those two, sometimes I mix them in my hands or just apply them one at a time when I wash. If you still want to co-wash, maybe try mixing it with a clarifying shampoo (whether you want it to be sulfate or non sulfate is up to you).
    :cat:
    2C/3A. med-high porosity. waist length. balayaged. LI - Curl Keeper - G.:duckie:
    My Faves
    [*]S: SM ABS. SM Manuka Honey. Ouidad Superfruit Clarifying[*]Condish: GVP Cond. Balm
    [*]Gel: CURL KEEPER! (alone or under the following:), LA LOOKS Sport/Mega
    [*]Cream: SM CES
    [*]LI: As I Am LI
    [*] PT: Aphogee 2-step (1x Month), ION EC (discont.)
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    chickitten wrote: »
    I'm also active and I have color treated hair :-), I've never tried co-washing out of fear of agitating my scalp condition. Any sort of product build up makes it really itchy and horrible. So what I've been doing is using two shampoos- a light moisturizing shampoo and a non sulfate clarifying shampoo. I've been using the SheaMoisture's Superfruit Shampoo (love it, moisturizing but not heavy, has great lather, claims it's color-safe too :happy7:) and their African Black Soap Shampoo (can be drying if used alone, but excellent at removing buildup). I've had great success with using those two, sometimes I mix them in my hands or just apply them one at a time when I wash. If you still want to co-wash, maybe try mixing it with a clarifying shampoo (whether you want it to be sulfate or non sulfate is up to you).

I cowash daily with Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner and don't personally ever have any issues; I believe it's because we have such soft water here. But I did have to say that I do use African Black Soap in a bar for my face AND body in the shower. LOVE that stuff!! Here is what I use:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/nubian-heritage-african-black-bar-soap-5-oz-bar-s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you have hard water in your area, have you tried Suave Naturals in the Strawberry scent? That one has EDTA as an ingredient, which removes hard water buildup. Each of the Suave Naturals conditioners has slightly different ingredients, and some may work better for your hair/local water supply than others.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file