Just started transitioning to No-Poo! Help!

soccerkatsoccerkat Posts: 2Registered Users
First off, I have 2C/3A, low porosity, medium density, med-coarse width hair that reaches to about my armpits.

I started reading CG and really want to switch to no-poo again. I tried it a month or so ago and used L'Oreal EverCurl Sulfate-Free shampoo and after a couple weeks of use, I got so much scalp buildup and my curls were becoming flat and lifeless. So I went back to just using my regular shampoo/conditioner, Nexxus Therappe. Like I said though, I want to go no-poo, but I have a hard time picking out products to use because no one else that I know can really give me any tips or direct me in the right path. Going to the store or even looking online is super overwhelming because there are so many options. So I started just using my conditioner to get started on going CG. Now my issue is that my roots are super oily. Is this just because my hair is getting used to not having shampoo? Or am I not rinsing the products out enough? In addition to my condition, I also use the Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Deep Treatment once or twice a week. Then when I get out of the shower I use Ouidad Curl Quencher Cream. I know I probably need to go get a gel to use instead, but I'm not sure what kind to get.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! I really want to go no-poo, but am kinda worried about the transition.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    soccerkat wrote: »
    First off, I have 2C/3A, low porosity, medium density, med-coarse width hair that reaches to about my armpits.

I started reading CG and really want to switch to no-poo again. I tried it a month or so ago and used L'Oreal EverCurl Sulfate-Free shampoo and after a couple weeks of use, I got so much scalp buildup and my curls were becoming flat and lifeless. So I went back to just using my regular shampoo/conditioner, Nexxus Therappe. Like I said though, I want to go no-poo, but I have a hard time picking out products to use because no one else that I know can really give me any tips or direct me in the right path. Going to the store or even looking online is super overwhelming because there are so many options. So I started just using my conditioner to get started on going CG. Now my issue is that my roots are super oily. Is this just because my hair is getting used to not having shampoo? Or am I not rinsing the products out enough? In addition to my condition, I also use the Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Deep Treatment once or twice a week. Then when I get out of the shower I use Ouidad Curl Quencher Cream. I know I probably need to go get a gel to use instead, but I'm not sure what kind to get.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! I really want to go no-poo, but am kinda worried about the transition.

A lot of wavies cannot exclusively cowash. We just can't. I definitely cannot co-wash with like Suave or those. I found I CAN with As I Am Co-wash. There must be enough coco betaine in there to really cleanse. Also the As I Am Cleansing Pudding is good. I still dilute a simple sulfate shampoo and use every third or fourth time. Some low poo all the time. There are some popular Shea Moisture poos that are low poo. I also really like Kinky Curly Come Clean, to me nearly as cleansing as a sulfate.

So honestly, do not be married to the idea you can only co-wash. It is just not for everyone or at least not exclusively, especially wavies.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I love the shea moisture raw shea butter shampoo. It feels so silky and seems to remove all my oils really well.
  • soccerkatsoccerkat Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into those products!
  • DracelinDracelin Posts: 7Registered Users
    I had the same problem as chupie - I now use conditioner, a diluted sulphate shampoo on the scalp and conditioner again. If I try to co-wash or wash with water only, it gets terribly oily - I'm no expert, but I just found co-washing only to be impossible for me :)

So...yea.
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    You guys do know that diluting the sulfate makes it stronger right? The water helps activate the surfactant... lol.
    All I know is it spreads through quickly and easily and rinses fast, unlike if I use a small amount straight. It works.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I, too, have to alternate cowashing with Suave Naturals with cleansing conditioners containing small amounts of cocamidopropyl betaine or sulfate-free shampoos. Technically, this is still considered CG as far as I understand - I just do what works for my hair while still avoiding silicones and sulfates.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You guys do know that diluting the sulfate makes it stronger right? The water helps activate the surfactant... lol.

Where did you get this from? Everywhere I look people say to dilute sulfate shampoos if you're using them. I can't find one source that supports your claim . . .
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Yeah I asked Sciencey and it is not true.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file