Tipping in a home salon

knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
The new article on the front page about how to treat your stylist prompted this post. I've mostly had my hair cut in salons, and I found a nearby stylist I liked--let's call her "K". When I went to book my 2nd appointment with K I found she is now cutting hair out of her home. I booked with her directly and got the haircut a few weeks back, at her house.

A couple of years ago I had my hair cut in a different stylist's home, and when I offered her a tip she kindly refused it because she didn't have the fees and overhead that were involved in working for someone else in a salon. So for this most recent cut I didn't even offer K a tip, just paid the haircut cost. K didn't seem upset or anything, I'm just second-guessing myself now. What's the standard procedure for this?

Thanks!
2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
Loving my new pixie cut!
Gracefully going grey

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would offer a tip, and then act accordingly based on her response.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    if she is charging you a very low price, i'd offer her a tip as claudine suggested.
    years ago i had a friend of my daughter's come to my house to do my color. she would apply the color to the roots, then leave. and i'd just hang out puttering around house, then rinse it out, done. loved the convenience. i did not give her a tip, but i did increase what i gave her over the years. and, around the holidays i did give her a big tip.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
    She charged $30 for the cut, which was the amount I paid in the salon for my first cut with her. I don't think that's astronomical but I don't call it "cheap" either, like a Lemon Tree or Supercuts haircut. I agree I probably should have just offered and let her turn it down, but I felt super awkward for some reason.
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I don't think you should have to tip in home because they are setting their own prices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file