Kinda over DevaCurl. What now?

amanda.altieamanda.altie Posts: 1Registered Users
My hair: Shoulder length, 2b, fine, low to medium density, dyed, low porosity

So I've been using DevaCurl for about 2 months now. I LOVE what it's doing for my curly hair. Curls are somewhat new for me, so I'm kinda a newbie.

However, over the past week or so my scalp has gotten so itchy! I've always had dandruff but the DevaCurl had helped so much with it until last week. I haven't changed my routine at all so there's no way there are any new things that could be causing the itchiness. I'm also kinda DevaCurled out. It's expensive and I hate having to order things online. I'd like to gradually fade out their products when they run out.

My current routine is:
DevaCurl NoPoo, DevaCurl One Conditioner, DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, DevaCurl B'Leave-in, and DevaCurl Set It Free

So I've been reading and maybe I should add a shampoo in every once in a while to help with clearing the scalp. I just picked up Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and on an impulse Shea Moisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Pre-Poo Rinse (to try and help the itchiness). I also read that Yes to Carrots Pampering is close to One Conditioner. Are any of these products decent on 2B hair? Is there anything anyone would recommend for a co-wash?

Basicly, does anyone have any curly girl tips for a curl noob?
no-poo: DevaCurl No-Poo
conditioner: DevaCurl One Conditioner
gel: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel
leave in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in Conditioner
product: DevaCurl Set It Free Spray

Comments

• lionfeatherlionfeather Posts: 20Registered Users
    I'm really new to this whole curly/wavy thing as well, but I have a few ideas from reading your post...

You might have some luck combatting the itchiness with an apple cider vinegar rinse. ACV is good for balancing the pH of your scalp and clearing away dandruff. After I shampoo, I usually just pour a "glug" into a large plastic jug, fill about 1/2 way full with cold water, and then pour it all over my head, focusing on getting it into my scalp. You can also do this after you condition and then only rinse it out partly (which is supposed to help tame frizz and add shine) but your hair will smell a bit vinegary until it dries. You can also treat your hair before you wash by diluting some ACV in a spray bottle and spraying it onto your scalp before you wash. Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil for extra bacteria-fighting properties. (Some people are sensitive to tea tree oil so I'd recommend starting with just one or two drops)

I also use the SM moisture retention shampoo. Love it! I've found it has just the right amount of suds to really clean my scalp. I hope you have good results with it, too. :)
    2A/2B high density, medium/coarse texture, still figuring out porosity

As I Am coconut cowash
    Yes to Carrots anti-frizz serum
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair: Shoulder length, 2b, fine, low to medium density, dyed, low porosity

So I've been using DevaCurl for about 2 months now. I LOVE what it's doing for my curly hair. Curls are somewhat new for me, so I'm kinda a newbie.

However, over the past week or so my scalp has gotten so itchy! I've always had dandruff but the DevaCurl had helped so much with it until last week. I haven't changed my routine at all so there's no way there are any new things that could be causing the itchiness. I'm also kinda DevaCurled out. It's expensive and I hate having to order things online. I'd like to gradually fade out their products when they run out.

My current routine is:
    DevaCurl NoPoo, DevaCurl One Conditioner, DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, DevaCurl B'Leave-in, and DevaCurl Set It Free

So I've been reading and maybe I should add a shampoo in every once in a while to help with clearing the scalp. I just picked up Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and on an impulse Shea Moisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Pre-Poo Rinse (to try and help the itchiness). I also read that Yes to Carrots Pampering is close to One Conditioner. Are any of these products decent on 2B hair? Is there anything anyone would recommend for a co-wash?

Basicly, does anyone have any curly girl tips for a curl noob?

YOu aren't alone. Sometimes it is the type of preservatives in these curly girl shampoos or one of the plant extracts you are sensitive to. There are a ton to try though. Many wavies also need to alternate with a low poo or even diluted sulfate. It depends on how dry your scalp is. Sadly, some of this is trial and error. If you are sensitive to wheat, might be that. Hard to say.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think a lot of people have that reaction to DevaCurl. It seems most try it at first and then gradually get a little sick of it / go off it lol (not all people, mind, just it seems the majority of people in this forum).

I know a lot of people here like Sauve Naturals to co-wash. And I think V05 Moisture Milk is pretty popular too. I don't co-wash though (I low-poo), so I'm really not an expert. I'm sure some of the lovely co-washing ladies here will have awesome suggestions for you though.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • mandymaemandymae Posts: 150Registered Users
    I used DevaCurl products at first. For me, it was a good transition from blowing drying straight to wearing waves. As a wavy, we tend to need to low-poo every now and then to keep volume in. I like Yes to Cucumbers shampoo for that (it is sulfate free). Yes to Carrots is pretty close to One Condition. Cetyl Esters are pretty high up in the ingredients and can make some hair look waxy. For a co-wash, I like As I Am Coconut Co-wash or Kiss My Face conditioners.

Do you think it is just the no poo and one condition that are causing the itchiness or the whole line in general? You could start by just switching from the no poo and one condition and keep the stylers to see if that helps. I notice you have been using Be'leave In as a styler. Recently I have been loving the Yes to Coconuts Curl Defining Cream paired with gel. It does have some protein in it (towards the end of ingredients) and has been making my 2B waves really pop.
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had this reaction to products. Two things to consider that may or may not be applicable to you:

1) My itchiness turned out to be psoriasis, and I needed a prescription treatment for my dry, itchy scalp
    2) Deva Curl and many other brands use "natural botanical" ingredients and extracts that can be VERY irritating to some people's scalp and skin. I have to avoid some products because of this. "Natural" does not always mean better for everyone.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file