Why do my curls keep on falling flat?

pualakoalapualakoala Posts: 15Registered Users
Okay, so when I do my wash and go's my hair is super big and curly (around a 2C/3A) right after it finishes drying and then by the next day its almost completely straight with a little bit of curl at the bottom (around a 2A).

For the note, I co-wash with Wen and clarify once a week with whatever sulfate shampoo I have lying around (I have several different brands of shampoo and conditioner other than Wen, only a few of which are really working for me. No good clarifying shampoos). After co-washing, I use Curl Keeper Original with Wen as leave in. I don't use oils because my hair hates them. I've been deep conditioning and doing protein treatments with some products I picked up when visiting family in Argentina.

I also LOVE to brush my hair because it gets hugee right after I do, but I've noticed that kills my curls within the hour.

Is anyone else having simliar problems and can somebody help? How do I keep it curly?

Also, what are some good co-washes and regular conditioners? Wen is killing my wallet and I feel like there's better stuff out there, I just can't find it.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    pualakoala wrote: »
    Okay, so when I do my wash and go's my hair is super big and curly (around a 2C/3A) right after it finishes drying and then by the next day its almost completely straight with a little bit of curl at the bottom (around a 2A).

For the note, I co-wash with Wen and clarify once a week with whatever sulfate shampoo I have lying around (I have several different brands of shampoo and conditioner other than Wen, only a few of which are really working for me. No good clarifying shampoos). After co-washing, I use Curl Keeper Original with Wen as leave in. I don't use oils because my hair hates them. I've been deep conditioning and doing protein treatments with some products I picked up when visiting family in Argentina.

I also LOVE to brush my hair because it gets hugee right after I do, but I've noticed that kills my curls within the hour.

Is anyone else having simliar problems and can somebody help? How do I keep it curly?

Also, what are some good co-washes and regular conditioners? Wen is killing my wallet and I feel like there's better stuff out there, I just can't find it.

A good hard hold gel and don't touch.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • pualakoalapualakoala Posts: 15Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »

Thanks but how do I give my hair volume if I don't touch it?
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    Try to diffuse upside down. Your not supposed to touch it till its dry then you can turn your head upside down and scrunch till its nice and fluffy. Plopping helps add volume too.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte

After you put your gel in, you can then scrunch your hair upside down. You can also diffuse for volume or, if you're a fan of air-drying, just leave to air-dry normally and then once it's dry flip your hair upside down and 'fluff' up the roots.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    And you can clip the roots. That helps a lot.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users

I have fairly fine hair and weak wave pattern, it does the same thing as you described, when it's still wet it has something like 2C wave/curl and then just eases down to 2A when it dries.

I think the water weight drags the volume out, so my favourite way to combat it is this:
    1. put some mousse (currently using Tigi Bead Head Foxy Curls mousse) to the root area
    2. scrunch a generous amount of gel to the ends (either Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Giovanni L.A. Natural strong hold styling gel)
    3. plop
    4. diffuse head upside down, concentrating on the roots and trying not to fluff and separate the clumps OR
    5. clip the roots and let it air dry (which takes FRIGGIN' HOURS ON END)
    I have on idea how to create lasting volume without any mousse...

EDIT: I would also like to point out that if your true texture is 2A, it doesn't "fall flat", your hair just assumes it's natural state when it dries. It makes life easier if you try to avoid getting into the battle mode of trying to get huge volume and curls that come naturally to people with tighter and stronger curl pattern. It can be hard to stay away from that trench though, the 2A-2B side of the spectrum isn't very well represented even in the curly world. Just wanted to give some encouragement that having flat hair should be accepted also, because that is the way the hair naturally goes for a lot of wavies.
    2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hallamaa wrote: »

EDIT: I would also like to point out that if your true texture is 2A, it doesn't "fall flat", your hair just assumes it's natural state when it dries. It makes life easier if you try to avoid getting into the battle mode of trying to get huge volume and curls that come naturally to people with tighter and stronger curl pattern. It can be hard to stay away from that trench though, the 2A-2B side of the spectrum isn't very well represented even in the curly world. Just wanted to give some encouragement that having flat hair should be accepted also, because that is the way the hair naturally goes for a lot of wavies.

This is exactly the battle I face as a mainly 2B. I know I gripe alot about my hair not being curly, nor being straight- its wavy. And all over the spectrum wavy, no pattern to the waves wavy, no product works wavy, never looks the same from hour to hour wavy, and always looks like crap wavy. I would love gorgeous long amazon waves, but that will never happen because I have about 1/3 of the hair most people have. I pretty much cant have any set expectation of what my hair will do or look like on any given day, or even over the course of the day. I call this having wavy woes as there was a thread on here from several years back with that title that really helped me realize I am never going to have curly hair, never going to have straight hair, and I might as well just get used to it. SIGH. Sorry, that was a non-productive rant.

I would LOVE for there to be a Naturally Wavy movement for the (as above mentioned) under represented segment of people who exist in this super challenging area of not curly but not straight hair.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    hallamaa wrote: »

This is exactly the battle I face as a mainly 2B. I know I gripe alot about my hair not being curly, nor being straight- its wavy. And all over the spectrum wavy, no pattern to the waves wavy, no product works wavy, never looks the same from hour to hour wavy, and always looks like crap wavy. I would love gorgeous long amazon waves, but that will never happen because I have about 1/3 of the hair most people have. I pretty much cant have any set expectation of what my hair will do or look like on any given day, or even over the course of the day. I call this having wavy woes as there was a thread on here from several years back with that title that really helped me realize I am never going to have curly hair, never going to have straight hair, and I might as well just get used to it. SIGH. Sorry, that was a non-productive rant.

I would LOVE for there to be a Naturally Wavy movement for the (as above mentioned) under represented segment of people who exist in this super challenging area of not curly but not straight hair.

I agree with you 100%. I consider myself a wavy and not a curly. There isn't much out there about wavy's. Wavy's I believe we are in our own category. Curly products are often too heavy for wavy's and there isn't much products for wavy's.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that wavies are a different animal. I can do the "curly" techniques for days 1 and 2, but on days 3 and 4, I'm starting to get out the hair brush! I brush my hair, which creates mounds of volume and frizz, and then I calm the frizz with a little water and a bit of leave-in. This generally produces almost-straight hair with very loose waves--but it looks nice. I would never recommend that a type 3 true curly brush her hair, but it seems to work for me. Otherwise I have flat, greasy hair on days 3 and beyond.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »
    I agree that wavies are a different animal. I can do the "curly" techniques for days 1 and 2, but on days 3 and 4, I'm starting to get out the hair brush! I brush my hair, which creates mounds of volume and frizz, and then I calm the frizz with a little water and a bit of leave-in. This generally produces almost-straight hair with very loose waves--but it looks nice. I would never recommend that a type 3 true curly brush her hair, but it seems to work for me. Otherwise I have flat, greasy hair on days 3 and beyond.

That is an interesting idea for days 3 and 4. I have to honestly say that I would never have thought to brush and then refresh. Might give that a try.

I have finally gotten to see some decent results on day 2, but ya day 3 is always a pony tail. I have found that alot of the time, refreshing on day 2 with water and some leave in or any combination of water and anything will end up looking worse at the end of day than if i just pull the pineapple out and go exactly as is. Ive tried water and leave in, water and gel, water and curl enhancer, water and leave in and gel and curl enhancer, just enhancer or gel or leave in with no water...all different combinations.
    Seems like water frizzes it out and/or flattens the curl and any other product alone is typically too heavy and flattens out the curl and makes it feel producty all day.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have found that alot of the time, refreshing on day 2 with water and some leave in or any combination of water and anything will end up looking worse at the end of day than if i just pull the pineapple out and go exactly as is. Ive tried water and leave in, water and gel, water and curl enhancer, water and leave in and gel and curl enhancer, just enhancer or gel or leave in with no water...all different combinations.
    Seems like water frizzes it out and/or flattens the curl and any other product alone is typically too heavy and flattens out the curl and makes it feel producty all day.

You are not alone - and it's such a relief to know someone else experiences this too! Refreshing in any form doesn't work for me either, so I rock the pulled-out pineapple too!

pualakoala, my day 2 hair always has better volume than day 1, probably because the pineapple pulls my hair upward for the night and keeps my curls/waves out from under the weight of my head.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso

That is an interesting idea for days 3 and 4. I have to honestly say that I would never have thought to brush and then refresh. Might give that a try.

I have finally gotten to see some decent results on day 2, but ya day 3 is always a pony tail. I have found that alot of the time, refreshing on day 2 with water and some leave in or any combination of water and anything will end up looking worse at the end of day than if i just pull the pineapple out and go exactly as is. Ive tried water and leave in, water and gel, water and curl enhancer, water and leave in and gel and curl enhancer, just enhancer or gel or leave in with no water...all different combinations.

Every time I try to just wear my hair "as is" from the pineapple, it gets horribly flat and dry within the hour, which is too bad, because sometimes it looks pretty good out of the pineapple. :( I think that wearing it up helps the hair retain moisture overnight, but then as soon as I let it out of its pineapple, so much more surface area is exposed that it quickly loses what little moisture it had retained overnight. Sigh.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 wrote: »

When I do my wash day hair good all my 2nd day hair needs is my spritz bottle to re-activate. My 2nd day always is better than wash day hair. I like 2nd day hair because I don't have to get my hair soaking wet just a spritz. Since I spend most of my work days out in the elements my hair is beaten up by the 3rd day and needs to get another round of GOOD wash day moisture especially in the winter.

My hair takes like 4 hours to air dry totally and that's why I hate getting my hair soaking wash day wet. Maybe it's time to break out my wife's diffuser and start using it.
  • lalasophialalasophia Posts: 7Registered Users

I increase my volume by using Nioxin Scalp Treatment at least twice a week with scalp massage. I combine it with mixture of water, keratin and hydrolyzed wheat protein which sprinkle directly on wet hair. You can even add a few drops of some essential oil.
    Also, have you tried the plopping method? I came across this randomly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mInPt4-_Dyc

Hope this helps!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,852Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    [QUOTE=Therese1;2382761

This is me exactly! When I spritz with water (or anything), I can actually see the shorter hairs start to curl up and frizz. I end up with a giant frizzy mess. And yet underneath all the frizz, my hair has gone limp and flat.

Yesterday I finally got a second day hair result that I thought might work with a little tweaking. I just dunked my hair under the shower, getting it completely wet. Then I added some leave in and a little more gel. It still ended up with quite a bit of frizz at the crown, but I had some definition and shine in the lengths. The bad thing is that it took nearly as long as a full wash and style, so I don't know what the advantage of doing that is.

And the even worse thing, I just washed my hair this morning and it's flat and dragged down. :( I should have clarified after yesterday's no-wash day.

I think I'm going to have to give up the idea of second day hair. My hair doesn't mind a daily low-poo, and I have my styling routine down to a minimum, so it's not too much bother.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Sarah_Smith_BotticelliSarah_Smith_Botticelli Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    See I have 2c-3a hair. But Wash day always looks amazing and then by day two it's a wavy frizzy mess. And I try to refresh it to bring the curl back but it just looks like I got sprayed in the face with a hose and it's all wet and matted. I'm not brushing it. I only gently separate the clumps of curls with my fingers on day 1 (wash day) as they like to curl around and catch each-other in clumps.and then I lightly finger comb problem areas of need be. I've only been doing the CG method, or something similar to it for traveling, for about 3 weeks. But I can't get day two or day three hair (I wash at the end of day three or in the morning of day four) to look any good at all. I've tried different products thinking I was weighing down my hair, I've had some success; but only so far as my day 1 hair looks great. Any help or tips would be WONDERFUL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file