What do people use when protein sources are restricted to them?

BoingBoingBoingBoingBoingBoing Posts: 22Registered Users
I imagine that the keratin/collagen sources come from beef, pork, and sheep sources. But is there a source of protein to use in treatments that's appropriate for Hebrews, Muslims. and vegetarians?

Thank you.

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lots of folks use the gelatin protein treatments:
    Science-y Hair Blog: Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update

I know vegetarian gelatin is available, but I'm not sure how much protein it contains.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    Unless they have very recently changed the formula, ION Effective care conditioner treatment from Sally's has hydrolyzed vegetable protein in it - this is my favorite rinse out conditioner. I am finding that if I am using proteins in most of my regular products, I don't need to resort to a dedicated protein treatment. My hair will eat protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner LOL

Right now Sally's website lists hydrolyzed keratin as being in the ION, but the bottle I picked up in the last couple of months lists the hydrolyzed vegetable protein. So be sure to check the label if you're in the market for it.

I think my lo-poos have wheat and/or soy proteins in them, so there are certainly some alternatives out there for you to experiment with.

Here is a (partial) list of some products that may or may not contain protein and you can see at a glance which ones have more vegetarian proteins. But always be sure to read the bottle labels carefully before you buy!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curly Hair Solutions uses silk protein in their conditioners.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• curlybohocurlyboho Posts: 130Registered Users
    I personally find that hydrolized wheat protein works the best on my hair...i use it daily as a spray in...Hugo naturals (can purchase at whole foods) also makes a great styling gel I love that has wheat and quinoa protien...these are totally natural and vegetarian!!!!
    Low Porosity-Medium Density

Hair loves all sorts of proteins...my curls come to life in hot humid weather!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file