ways of getting curls to clump

2»

Comments

• frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got my stuff for DIY gel from Aroma-Zone. It's French. They've got a thorough explanation on the INCI, function for skin and/or hair, concentration recommendation and interaction with preservatives.

I got my acacia gum from there and according to the direction, the powder has to be sprinkled into the water phase mix, heat to 70 C then whisk until it disperses.

As for concentration, I was suggested by Wendy to do 0.6% xanthan and 3% acacia. I followed it and added 1% carrageenan. The result? It felt like I poured glue all over my hair. It was so hard my scalp was hurting. I thought it was because of too much acacia gum, since I know doll maker usually use it to fix the hair in place and it gets real hard.

Luckily, I found an easy remedy mixing a blob of the gel with equal amount of conditioner (whatever I'm using that day), emulsify them in my hand, rake in, brush and scrunch. It works marvelous that way.

Today, I looked up my recipe again and compare it to Aroma-Zone's description for each product and it turned out that with the amount I put into my gel I actually ended up with
    Xanthan Gum 2% 3/8 tsp
    Carrageenan 2.5% 3/8 tsp
    Acacia gum 3% 1/2 tsp
    for 60ml of jelly. No wonder my hair was so hard!!

I'm running low on the gel and next time I'm going to try this amount
    Herbal-infused okra gel 240ml
    Xanthan Gum 0.6% scant 1/4 tsp
    Carrageenan 0.5% 1/4+1/8 tsp
    Acacia gum 3% scant 2 tsp
    Honeyquat 2% 96 drops/1 tsp
    Oil blend 1/2 tsp
    Fragrance
    Preservatives

You can also follow the newest recipe Wendy posted on her blog. It's similar to mine except that the acacia gum and xanthan gum concentration is the other way around.
    Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin' - Easy Humectant Curl Defining Jelly-Cream
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file