New to wavy/curly hair, help with products?

kcexpatkcexpat Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi all, I've been reading for a while trying to get an idea of how to treat my "new" hair, but I'm just not sure. I recently chopped off my waist-length hair to an above-the-shoulder bob. I had noticed my hair slowly becoming wavier and coarser over the years, but after losing all of that extra weight, my previously straight/wavy hair became wavy/curly practically overnight. My best assessment is 2b, medium texture, somewhat porous, and very dense. I love the curls that have appeared naturally and want to encourage them to fully form with a good curl enhancer/definer.

My problem is that most articles and blogs recommend a light mousse for wavy hair to keep it from being weighed down, but a thicker gel or cream for definition in high density hair, which I have in abundance. I've been considering Curl Junkie CCCC, Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel, and AG Re:coil, but I'd love some advice for my first foray into curly girl products.

Thank you!
2b, medium texture, somewhat porous, very high density

new to wavy/curly hair, thanks for your patience!

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kcexpat wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been reading for a while trying to get an idea of how to treat my "new" hair, but I'm just not sure. I recently chopped off my waist-length hair to an above-the-shoulder bob. I had noticed my hair slowly becoming wavier and coarser over the years, but after losing all of that extra weight, my previously straight/wavy hair became wavy/curly practically overnight. My best assessment is 2b, medium texture, somewhat porous, and very dense. I love the curls that have appeared naturally and want to encourage them to fully form with a good curl enhancer/definer.

My problem is that most articles and blogs recommend a light mousse for wavy hair to keep it from being weighed down, but a thicker gel or cream for definition in high density hair, which I have in abundance. I've been considering Curl Junkie CCCC, Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel, and AG Re:coil, but I'd love some advice for my first foray into curly girl products.

Thank you!

I have not used the CJ CCCC but I know it is popular. If you have an Ulta that is a great place to start because if you don't like something you can return it easily and try something else. You *may* find that no matter what you use to encourage wave and curl you need a hard hold gel to "set" it. Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee is just about the golden mean for wavies. You can cut it with water in your hands if you find it too crunchy.

You might look at Jane Carter's Incredicurls as a nice medium curl cream. That plus the BRHG is a good combo.

My current favorite conditioner is Tresemme Perfectly unDone Weightless conditioner. This stuff is golden for *most* who try it. Works great as a leave in as well as a rinse out.

My favorite "curl enhancers" are:

Original Moxie Shape Shifter (this stuff is awesome. You can purchase a trial size on their site) and their Hold up Defining Serum is great too. You can use it alone over LI with a hard hold gel on top or by itself.

Camille Rose: Whipped Aloe butter Gel and the Curlmaker. LOOOOVE Curlmaker. I use it over a leave in/curl cream, like The WAG^ or the OM Shape Shifter.

I am having great luck with the Tresemme Perfectly unDone Sea Foam with a hard hold gel like BRHG over it. Comes out VERY curly for me.

A lot of people just get some LA Looks Sports gel for hard hold. I didn't really care for it but it's extremely popular.

Much of this is experimenting so that is why it's kind of nice to start at a Target or Ulta because their return policies are so good.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • kcexpatkcexpat Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thank you so much for the detailed response! I'll definitely look into those options. Is there a particular type of product you'd recommend starting with, like a gel vs. a cream? I've never really used these kinds of styling products, just a basic heat protectant and hairspray.
    2b, medium texture, somewhat porous, very high density

new to wavy/curly hair, thanks for your patience!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I suggest a cream with a hard hold gel over it.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have porous, very dense, wavy hair and have had the most luck with Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets as a curl enhancer. Pricey but very worth it. I also love her Confident Coils light styler on top of that - gives me nice hold and definition without the crunchy, wet look I get from all other gels, which I personally loathe.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi. Things that have worked as curl enhancers for me are: Jessicurl rockin ringlets, Recoil, Kinky Curly curling custard, and cjcccc lite. Whatever I use, I put brhg on top for hold. The idea of starting at stores where you can return things that don't work is a great one.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file