CG Transitioning to Gray

WavyCWavyC Posts: 5Registered Users
Hi, guys, this is my first post! I'm 52 and I've been wanting to stop coloring my 2A-B wavy hair (currently dirty blonde/light brown). I follow the curly girl method—no sulfates, silicones, brushing, or terry cloth. I can't stand the idea of the demarcation line as the grey comes in. Any cg-friendly tips on how to ease that part? Also, during the transition, did your curls/waves change in any way? Get less curly, more curly, frizzy, thinner, etc.? Thanks!

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    HI WavyC. Just go down the topics list here and you will find other transitioning threads for lots of tips.
    My 3B hair has become more 3A since it has gone grey (but my hair is also longer so that could be part of that change) and some of the hairs stick straight out, but really it's nothing dramatic and haven't changed my routine.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • MJsChillinMJsChillin Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hey! Congrats on your decision to go natural with your color! I stopped coloring my hair in December and have about two inches of silver/salt & pepper at my roots with the rest of my hair in varying shades of dark auburn to brassy red at the ends (faded out color :/ ). It's challenging, but I'm determined to see it through.

Tip: I've taken to wearing my hair in a high pony tail, which accentuates the silver around my face and doesn't draw attention to the dreaded "line." This is my first style choice because when down, the line of demarcation is visually unbearable for me.

Tip: Wear headbands to cover the line -- most of the ladies here have suggested this approach and it's the best advice I've received. Headbands really helped when my hair wasn't long enough to stay in the pony tail.

Otherwise, when headbands and pony tails aren't appropriate (business meetings for me), I found two products that help:

1--When the new growth was about an inch long, I used a brush on powder product called WOW. It blended well enough to take the line away. I think this product is intended for people who want to cover the grey in between coloring, so it's too laborious after your roots grow out longer than 1/2-1 inch.

2--I moved to another product when the roots got too long to brush on the powder concealer. "Rita Hazan Root Concealer for gray coverage-temporary color spray." This "spray paint" takes away the line enough to keep people from staring at your scalp instead of looking you in the eye :) Full disclosure--I use it rarely because I don't like the matted feeling it leaves, and I have to shampoo each time I use it. I don't have to go to the office every day anymore, thank goodness, because this is the most challenging part of the process.

I hope this info helps! Hang in there! The results will be fabulous!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the pony tail is a great idea. any way of pulling your hair off your face and letting the gray be around it with the color part in back works best i think.
    i did use headbands for MONTHS -- first to cover the gray, then when it got longer, to just frame my face with gray and have the dyed part in back. braids, twists, clips can be used this way and i think looks good. well, good for transitioining.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • WavyCWavyC Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks, all! Your hair looks great. I actually haven't started yet. I have a few public speaking engagements in the next two months that I want to get out of the way first, because I'll be too self-conscious otherwise. I grew out my gray once before, and the transition was terrible. I've always been ambivalent about my hair, and I ultimately colored it again. But now that I found the curly girl method and have embraced my waves, I want to give it a try again and ditch the dye for good.

For headbands - are there any particular types you'd recommend? I'm finicky - hard or plastic headbands give me a headache, so I'd need the soft material kind.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i used a mix of headbands, plastic and fabric. i agree about the plastic being annoying, but i liked the look of most of them. i bought fabric ones from drugstores, target..... thin and thick.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    There are some interesting headbands on the market now that are fabric, but with a wire inside so that you can mold them to the shape you want them to be.

I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but really want to - I have this smallish head that "normal" headbands never seem to want to fit correctly. It might be a happy medium.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    rbb wrote: »
    i used a mix of headbands, plastic and fabric. i agree about the plastic being annoying, but i liked the look of most of them. i bought fabric ones from drugstores, target..... thin and thick.

Thanks, rbb. I'm going to start looking for some fabric ones. I'll feel better if I have something on hand when I get the ball rolling.
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    There are some interesting headbands on the market now that are fabric, but with a wire inside so that you can mold them to the shape you want them to be.

I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, but really want to - I have this smallish head that "normal" headbands never seem to want to fit correctly. It might be a happy medium.

Thanks, SprialHam. That's exactly my problem, smallish head. I think the plastic ones just hit my head in the wrong places, and exert pressure, which leads to headaches.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file