Asian girl on a track of transition

jayleenjayleen Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi there
I'm a newbie and so glad to find this web.
I was born and raised in korea. Also, For about my ethnicity, I'm fully korean. But suprisingly I have naturally curly hair.
I decided to have a jorney of transition. It's been already 7 months since my last straight perm. And In fact, this is the 2nd jorney. On 1st one, i failed and gave up because i didn't know how to style and wear my crazy afro after BC. (Back then, I had no idea what i had done. I just cut off my relaxed damaged hair)

So ,on this new track, I want to take a long jorney learning how to treat my hair. But It's getting tricky to style 2types of hair- relaxed and my natural hair- at the same time.
Any recommendation about
1. how to style 2 types of hair?
2. products - i have no any idea about curly hair products because in korea we don't have any :(
and I want to hear experiences of asian curlies about hair transition, as well.

Thank you in advance and sorry if i made some mistakes in the writing.

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    jayleen wrote: »
    1. how to style 2 types of hair?
    2. products - i have no any idea about curly hair products because in korea we don't have any :(
    and I want to hear experiences of asian curlies about hair transition, as well.

Hello!

Okay, so what helped me when I was transitioning was when my hair was wet I'd put leave-in conditioner in and some sort of gel or styler and then braid my hair into two pigtails. Then when it was dry I'd take it out and I'd have waves that matched my roots.

Every night I'd re-wet it with leave-in and then braid it again so it looked nice for the next morning.

That's basically how I styled my hair the whole time I was transitioning so that I didn't use straighteners and damage my new healthy curl growth.

Hot oil treatments / overnight oil treatments with coconut oil are great for repair. As are protein treatments and weekly deep conditioning.

Also try to only finger detangle, rather than use brushes or combs, as right now your hair is very fragile where the two textures meet, so you should avoid pulling / tugging, like you'd tend to do with combs.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • meladorimeladori Registered Users Posts: 5
    Good luck! I'm also Asian and am the only one in my family to have wavy/curly 3a hair. What helped me when I was transitioning from Japanese straightened hair to natural hair (I've done this twice now) was to curly perm the straightened ends but however I waited 9 months in between processes and do not use heat or anything damaging on my hair in between. It is probably best to just let it grow out and to braid/camouflage the differently textured hair... good luck in your hair journey!
  • WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    Braidouts with pigtails will help. Just braid it at night then when you wake up and take the braids out it will all be wavy. But you need leave-in conditioner or the processed hair wont hold the curls.

I hope I don't sound crazy saying this but I dont think I've ever met a Korean person who wore their hair curly, so I was kind of ignorant to the fact that it existed. Congratulations to you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file