Halp. Curls gone straight.

DracelinDracelin Posts: 7Registered Users
Hello,

Curly forums noobie here, even though I'm not so new to curls and taking proper care of hair :)

But lately I've had a very weird problem - my hair, which usually clumped nicely while plunking, now is very much resistant to any curl-aiding processess, and it also has become very slick and straight.

I've no idea what I've done, nor what to do - I don't straighten my hair, I dye it red every now and then (and it seems that dying and the conditioner in the dye make the problem lessen).

I use various shampoo's - currently with SLS, also I'm no stranger to silicones (but this approach seemed to work). In the recent time I did overdo it with olis - but I stopped a while ago.

Does anyone have any idea? :(

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There could be a variety of reasons.

You could need to either clarify or chelate your hair, if there's product or mineral buildup.

You may need a protein treatment, especially if you have fine hair.

Personally, I found prolonged use of silicones straightened my hair.

You could also need to moisturize your hair…. you mentioned conditioner helping, so that's one possibility.

You could also be over conditioned (for me, this weighs down my curls).

Do you know your hair properties? Thickness, density, porosity? That could help with finding the right products. Maybe take us through your normal routine so we may have a better idea of what's going on.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • DracelinDracelin Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thank you for answering!

From what I gathered, my hair is fine, medium density (as I lost a lot of it - very stressfull 3 years), non-porous, 6-7 cm in a ponytail, layered, the longest part ends at my waist, the shortest are about jaw length. Few split ends.
    3A untill recently, currently 2A , which is extremely frustrating.

Usually I don't do much - I use a scalp conditioner on the day I'll be washing my hair, then pop on a hair mask (ziaja - cocoa butter moisturizing mask, or lorvenn perfect curls, also moisturizing), keep it for about 5 minutes and rinse off, wash my hair with shampoo (diluted), rinse off with cool water, plop, spritz some curl-enchancing styling spray and I'm out. I air-dry my hair, comb out with my hands, sleep in a braid and usually have it over the pillow, not under myself :P If I feel my ends are dry, I also apply a silicone protective serum to the ends only.

From time to time I apply a mask of honey, pilomax hair mask, coconut oil. I did oil my hair and leave it for the night, but since the problem with straightening started, I haven't done that, since that's what I blamed originally.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmmm no new products at all? Has the weather changes?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    If you have fine waves, perhaps you need more hold. For me I know my curls wouldn't hold with that routine, but everyone's different. It could be (as chupie mentioned) a change in weather… this may mean you need to vary your products (and same goes for a change in water). How long has this routine been working for you? Have there been any changes since then?

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I did move to the central part of Poland from south - and to a bigger city too.

I haven't noticed a change when I changed products, although the best my hair was in some time was after I gave it an emergency wash-off (just dunked it with the rest of my body in a bath with sea salt) and then did a vinegar rinse. Best and most lasting curls since forever. And stayed perfectly (wel...) clean for almost a week.

Although they were a little bit coarse...

Only rinsing with vinegar didn't improve the condition. As I mentioned I'm at a loss :( When I manage to get enough posts, I'll upload some photos.
    If vinegar helped, then my guess is you need to clarify and/or chelate.

Is the water source different where you moved? That may have a lot to do with it. Salt helps soften water, so I'm wondering if you have hard water.

3A/f/i
    ^^^^^ This! That's a big cue something in the water, or what you are using is building up. I don't now what to advise for chelating in Poland though :/ Man, water alone can be VERY different. Another thing you might do is if you can find a good water filter for your shower, that may help.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I can't post links yet, so when I'll be able to I'll share some pics of my hair at their current state. There's a small sample of washed (co, diluted sulphate shampoo, co, vinegar rinse, plopped) hair in my avatar - and they're pretty okay, if it wasn't for the fact that they get flat and straight the day after :P
    Well flattenIng out waves by day two is pretty much the life of a wavy. Some times pinappling the hair into a very high loose ponytail before bed helps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file