Completely lost here D: Help me out

CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So, this week I realized that protein is one area of hair maintenance that I know absolutely nothing about. Tried to look around this board for answers, but much here is confusing to me. I saw some stuff about the effects of protein treatments, but not much about how to tell if your hair needs it. I did see one comment that mentioned porosity, but I thought the porosity test wasn't a true indicator or anything? Anyways, I did the test some days ago, and my hair floated on top of the water the whole time.

So, how do I really know if I need protein? People have always commented on how thick my hair is for as long as I can remember.
I try to deep condition weekly. I use the macadamia oil deep repair masque as well as coconut oil, and almond oil. I've just began using avocado oil as well as grapeseed oil. I use one of these each week and rotate. I use the tightly curly method by Terri LaFlesh. Based on that method, I only condition once a week. I shampoo once a month. I'm 3C with a bit of 4A (And I found two 3B curls beneath everything two days ago :headbang:)

I also saw something about there being different types of protein. If I do need it, what should I use?

Posting a picture because I know how difficult it is to answer hair-related questions like this without seeing what you're addressing.

2rcv504.jpg

Comments

• hookilauhookilau Posts: 269Registered Users
    I came across this link in my search for clues to my hair's properties & thought it would help you. I wish I could address some of your questions directly, but I'm still trying to get the hang of it myself and wouldn't want to steer you wrong :cheese:

Good luck!
    :thumbright:

https://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/tag/moistureprotein-balance/
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This site will help a lot with questions you have:

[url]http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly-hair-basics/Live Curly Live Free[/url]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks hook. What I got from that is if your hair seems extra frizzy, it might be good to try a protein treatment of some sort, but too much will make your hair seem less curly.

Thanks for contributing, juana, but it seems that they took down the article you linked me to.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Click on the menu button and then on curly hair basics.
    CurlyMan82 wrote: »
    Thanks hook. What I got from that is if your hair seems extra frizzy, it might be good to try a protein treatment of some sort, but too much will make your hair seem less curly.

Thanks for contributing, juana, but it seems that they took down the article you linked me to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using CurlTalk App

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nice hair, Dude!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hookilau wrote: »
    I came across this link in my search for clues to my hair's properties & thought it would help you. I wish I could address some of your questions directly, but I'm still trying to get the hang of it myself and wouldn't want to steer you wrong :cheese:

Good luck!

The article Hookilau linked refers to an additional "excellent article", but the link is dead. It actually is a highly useful article, which includes some example scenarios and a description of how to wet assess your hair for whether it needs protein or moisture or is balanced. A quick google search found the article reposted in 3 parts. It's worth reading.

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 1 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 2 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 3 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    hookilau wrote: »

Good luck!

The article Hookilau linked refers to an additional "excellent article", but the link is dead. It actually is a highly useful article, which includes some example scenarios and a description of how to wet assess your hair for whether it needs protein or moisture or is balanced. A quick google search found the article reposted in 3 parts. It's worth reading.

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 1 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 2 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care Pt. 3 | SISTERS OF THE FAITH

Thanks, Geek. I found this video last night, and it really made sense of things for me. And it looks like I do need a protein treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebA2P_H5c0
  • hookilauhookilau Posts: 269Registered Users
    Hey Geek Chic & CM82 :wave:

Some really good info there that explains a lot. I recently had a frizzing issue that I thought was due to build up of polyquats-(55, 7, & 10 more specifically) in a few of the stylers I was using. I started to get some serious frizz while trying to revive 3rd day hair, so I thought I needed to wash more frequently because I was having a build-up issue. Ya know, occam's razor and all :thumbleft:

Then 2nd day hair became frizzy, shortly after that, 1st day hair too :confused: When I saw the pictures of what polyquat buildup might look like & what lack of protein might look like, I thought they both looked the same to me. Soo.....

Figuratively, flipped a coin, & opted to try the protein angle first though I thought for sure this would not be the issue. I bought a sample packet of Aphogee's 2 minute Keratin reconstructor treatment at Sally's. I had been using Knox unflavored gelatin -once every 7-10 days or so (collagen I believe) for the past 6 weeks or so & thought I had protein all sewed up. That is, until I read about different proteins, hydrolyzed proteins and the differences in performance.

I felt a difference right away in my hair & just like magic, frizz gone & first, 2nd, 3rd and 4th day hair suddenly possible again.

I will likely buy a bottle of the Aphogee 2 min. stuff to use in lieu of gelatin & probably not quite so often. I also purchased Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (also hydrolyzed keratin, if memory serves) to use a few drops in conditioner, but I think I'll hold off on the use of that for now.

I think it's fair to surmise that I didn't suffer from polyquat buildup a the time, at least not 4ish weeks into this. So far, only co-washing but ready with a sulfate shampoo, Cocamidopropyl betaine if need be, though I've read neither may not be effective in removing polyquats if build-up occurs.

Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :happy8:

Anyhoo, those are my adventures into protein this weekend.
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
    So, looks like I fixed the issue a couple weeks ago. Used coconut milk one week and it didn't make much difference. Did it again the week after with coconut milk and honey.

This is what it looked like before I put the stuff in. I conditioned it and pat-dried with a towel.

2yxj6oo.png

This is how it looked after I put coconut milk and honey in, left it for an hour, hit it with warm water for a few minutes and some cold water afterwards. Pat-dried with a towel and got this:

2hq78jn.jpg

Barely any frizz. I shook my hair all around and it made no difference. Seems to have solved my volume issue too, because the roots weren't frizzy.

2ngyhch.jpg

Did it again the next week and it was the same result. I'm going to do it once or twice a month and no more than that. Just in case it was the protein and not the honey.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file