Newbie, Clueless, Please to HALLLLP!

amberlawamberlaw Posts: 18Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I posted this in Q&A before I saw this forum. The one responder I got said she thought my texture was 2C but my curl is 2A/2B which makes no sense to me... First pics were taken before starting, second ones when my hair was still damp last night after my final sulfate shampooing and then scrunching/plopping with SheaMoisture (I forget which one, the milk?) and gel. I still have no idea if I even belong here. :(

**OK it will not let me upload pics because I am new. Awesome. If you want to help I suppose you can search the Q&A section. My question is: "New to CG Method, unsure of type"

I have called myself naturally wavy for years, but I am not sure that is entirely accurate. The attached pics were taken this morning...Last night's routine was a sulfate-free shampoo (Aquage) a Wella conditioner (Brilliance, I think) followed by towel drying, wide tooth combing, and ISO Tamer Foam (which has cones, I know. I had not researched the CGM yet.) Then I didn't touch it. It was a bit damp when I went to sleep. This morning I combed with a wide tooth comb and ran my hands through it with some Argan Oil.I have no idea if my hair is capable of being coaxed into actual curls but I am willing to give the method a shot. (No cones, No shampoo, extra conditioner, plopping with a towel, got it.)

My question is this - I get highlights a few times a year, and lowlights to cover my grey. Does embracing the natural curl mean having to embrace the natural color?? I hate to get my hair to look all curly and glorious only to find out that my regular highlights are going to turn it back into straw.

I'm self-diagnosing here, but I think my hair is 2c - it is thick, porous, and frizzy no matter what (I fear it's the bleach.)

ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated! You are all lovely!
2a/b/c, coarse, high porosity, high density, blonde highlights hiding my salt and pepper, just a lot of dang wavy hair, is what it is.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No you do not have to embrace color but you do need to moisturize more and treat your hair as porous.

Pattern isn't as important as properties like fine medium or coarse and density (thin normal thick) and porosity and elasticity. Coloring and highlighting automatically make ends more porous. The nature of those treatments are damaging end of story but knowing that and not doing heat on top of it is a lot. Heat on chemically treated hair is how you fry it. And also try to stretch as muchc as you can. How often do you highlight? If you can keep it to maybe a couple of times a year tops it'll help. That's the most damaging.

What are you using? What are your other properties?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • amberlawamberlaw Posts: 18Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Chupie, and thanks for responding,

It's looking a little better today. Not sure if it will let me post pics but I will try. Today I did a cowash with the SheaMoisture conditioner and rather than put my gel and styling cream on when it was sopping wet, I blotted it a lot with a towel and then scrunched it in. I used the SheaMoisture curling milk and I used Suave Pro Hold gel (in the pink tube). It looked really good after I let it set up in a t-shirt for a bit, but then I made the mistake of thinking it needed more gel so I messed with it some - probably wouldn't be as frizzy as it is otherwise. But it's definitely wavy today! I don't know if I will ever have ringlets like my sister but I do NOT have straight hair.

My hair is very coarse, dense, and I think the porosity is normal, although I think the top layer where the majority of highlights are is more porous (the canopy, yes?) than underneath. That layer is smoother than the canopy also. I am confused about protein. Lots of threads talk about it but I know my hair is coarse and that's a no-no, right?

IMG_1573 (2).jpg

IMG_1568 (2).jpg

IMG_1574 (2).jpg
    2a/b/c, coarse, high porosity, high density, blonde highlights hiding my salt and pepper, just a lot of dang wavy hair, is what it is.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh yeah. That actually reminds me of some of my first CG attempts. I was using SM Smoothie, which really turned out to be too heavy for me. I know coarse hair has to be careful with protein and usually there is protein in SM products, so you might want to check that. Mine is medium, and it likes quite a bit but coarse is another story. I think you will need to keep experimenting. But I would try to find some NON-protein stuff to use and see if there is a difference.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file