Good beginner's routine and product recs?

meganscottmeganscott Posts: 4Registered Users
Sorry for yet another newbie post, but I've been scouring this website and forum for the past four days and I'm still not quite sure where to start! I'm in information overload mode right now. Here's what I've learned about my hair so far:

- My curl pattern is 2a, I think with the possibility of being coaxed into 2b. The canopy is pretty straight, which seems to be a common issue amongst wavies.
- Medium thickness
- Medium to low density
- I can't for the life of me figure out my porosity! I tried the float test and my strands floated for a day (I eventually even tried to push them down into the water and they floated back up). Yet I can also definitely feel bumps when I run my fingers up my hair, and my hair is pretty damaged from years of straightening. It's prone to breakage and frizz (the whole reason I began investigating wearing my hair natural is because I want to grow it out and get it healthy again). It takes about 2.5 hours for my just-below-shoulder length hair to air dry.

I haven't started using any CG products yet and I was hoping for some advice on what to get as well as a good starting routine. I was thinking about trying the modified CG method for wavies using a gentle sulfate and silicone free shampoo and conditioner. But after that I'm confused. Leave in conditioner? Curl creams? Gel? Deep treatments? Protein? It sounds like so much to put in my hair, which seems to get weighed down easily. Ideally, I think I'd like something to define my curls after showering, maybe a serum to control frizz once dry, and perhaps a refresher spray (?) to help with second day hair. Drugstore recs would be great, but I'd also be happy spending a bit more on a truly exceptional product if it's a good match for my hair.

(A few other details that might be helpful -- my hair doesn't get greasy easily and right now I wash and condition about twice a week. I'm worried about having to wash more frequently wearing it wavy since second day hair isn't really working for me right now. I sometimes use coconut oil for deep treatments -- I aim for about once a week -- and while my hair seems to respond well to the moisture in that it never absorbs the oil fully and I usually have to double wash it to get the leftover oil out. I haven't tried anything else for DTs so far.)

Thanks so much for any help you can give! I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now but I'm also really excited to start treating my hair right! If helpful, I can post a few pictures later once I get home.

Comments

• malobeemalobee Posts: 41Registered Users
    It sounds to me like you have fairly porous hair. The float test is notoriously bad at giving any real indication of porosity, but from everything you described it sounds like higher porosity to me.

Protein treatments are something to try to fill in all of those holes and ridges in the hair cuticle in damaged hair. I have been using shea moisture's repair treatment with keratin. What I do is let it sit in my hair for an hour, rinse it out, and then I do a coconut/essential oil/deep moisture conditioner treatment that I let sit for another hour.

If you look at my sig you can check out what I am doing now. I am only 2 weeks into this process so I am very new and still trying to figure out what works for me, but I can tell you that my hair is definitely healthier feeling with these products. The only problem is styling for me at the moment because I really just don't know what works best for my hair. So I am being positive and appreciating improved health and carrying bobby pins with me wherever I go in case the only hope of a good hair day is resorting to a textured undo. ;)

Really the thing is that you have to be patient. It is going to take a lot of trial and error to find what works best. Remember that hair type doesn't really matter (what works for one person with 2B hair might not work for another person with 2B hair). Figure out your texture/porosity/density and that will be the best place to start.

A lot of ladies on here recommend getting a hair analysis done, and a lot of people have recommended GoosefootPrints on etsy for an affordable option. I have sent out for that, and I am really looking forward to getting the results.
    Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

Cleanse: DevaCurl Lo Poo
    CO: DevaCurl No Poo
    RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    LI: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    Styling: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, plopping, diffuse

:thumbdown: : KCCC (seriously I have never hated a styling product more!)
    :thumbright: : Coconut Oil
  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Posts: 196Registered Users
    I've been loving the living proof curl line!! The restore deep conditioner is amazing too, and the no frizz styling spray. The products are all sulfate, paraben and silicone free!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using CurlTalk App
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • meganscottmeganscott Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thank y'all both! I'll definitely check these out.
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I strongly recommend you read, "The Curly Girl Handbook," by Lorraine Massey. It will give you a solid foundation to build your care strategy for your curly hair. While there's a ton of information on the forum, it can be both overwhelming and confusing when you are starting out, or at least for me it was. That book helped me a lot, and I still refer to it from time to time.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm just going to say that currently I am loving the Tresemme perfectly undone conditioner and sea foam with a little gel over it.

I agree it all starts with the CG method. Wavies can't always co-wash though especially weak wavies. (2a/). I have to dilute sulfate wash every few times and the only co-wash I've found to work is As I Am.

Biosilk Rock Hard Gel is almost universally the gel wavies like. I dilute it with water for spreadability. (I like Volumax Mega from Sally's better but it is discontinued. There is till some around though so ti might luck out and grab a bottle).

You'll see in my sig a link to my videos and blog. You might get ideas there. I love the Living Proof curl mousse and also Ouidad Pkaycurl and the Tresemme Sea foam for light products but I must top with gel. I get nearly equivalent results between the LP and the Tresemme but Tresemme is way cheaper.

Deep conditioning at least once a month if not twice is a must especially on those dry ends. Generic Value Price Conditioning Balm from Sally's works great especially with some melted honey mixed in.

For protein I like Ion Effective Care from Sally's. It makes a difference but isn't too much. Leave anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes.

High end I love Camille Rose CurlMaker with a good leave in under and a gel on top and I'm finding Original Moxie Shape Shifter (used in a small amount) to be very nice. I also really like Original Moxie Hold Up serum to have decent hold and make my hair shiny. Needs a moisturizer under it. Like the Shape Shifter or Camille Rose love Moisture milk or Whipped Aloe gel Butter.

Typically you need a wash, conditioner, leave in or cream, curl Definer and gel for maximum wave. Any of it without much or any gel gives me a beached look.

I must use a diffuser at least to partially dry for good bounce. And I clip my crown. (Vids at link).

Trial and error is just going to be your path. Techniques are 70% of getting what you want. (See vids).

Keep your ends trimmed so you get less tangling.

I post pics with what products I used amidst daily in Instagram. http://www.instagram.com/thewavynation_

It's a process! Keep it fun.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Thanks chupie, this is great information! It seems like your hair is pretty similar to mine and your videos are going to be so helpful. Do you have any diffuser recs? Also, how often do you use the protein treatment? It seems like it's easy to overdo.
    I just mostly do lots of products that have protein in them. It just depends on your hair.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    So, I'm thinking about starting by alternating a low poo with a cowash. If I can find all of them, I'm thinking about getting the Organix Shea Butter or Burt's Bees More Moisture for the low poo, a V05 for the cowash (any suggestions on a particular one?), Tresemme Undone as a rinse out/leave in, and the Tresemme Sea Foam and Biosilk Rock Hard to style. Does this combo sound ok, and balanced enough with moisture and protein? (Again, 2a, medium/fine, med density, and probably porous.) I know I mostly just need to experiment, but I'm also on a tight budget and don't want to buy something that obviously won't work. Thanks again for everyone's help!
    I think Organix may have cones. Check the label carefully. Otherwise if you can find stuff it's a good list.
  • malobeemalobee Posts: 41Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    I think Organix may have cones. Check the label carefully. Otherwise if you can find stuff it's a good list.

Confirmed. I checked at the store today, and every one that I looked at had cones in it. :neutral:
    Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

Cleanse: DevaCurl Lo Poo
    CO: DevaCurl No Poo
    RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    LI: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    Styling: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, plopping, diffuse

:thumbdown: : KCCC (seriously I have never hated a styling product more!)
    :thumbright: : Coconut Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file