Anyone else give up the diffuser?

RJKY74RJKY74 Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've found that I have much less frizz if I gently blow dry my hair without a diffuser. I think the tendency with the diffuser is to point the airflow up the hair shaft, which fluffs it up. I've been letting the hair air dry for a bit, then gently blowing down the hair to dry it.

I don't use gel or mousse, just a bit of SM style milk or diluted leave-in in a spray bottle once it's dry. Shampoo once a week, WO or CO one or two times a week.

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting idea. I will try this.

I have found that sitting under a dryer at the hair salon results in a much better and less frizzy effect than when I diffuse so maybe you are on to something.

Thanks for posting - let's see what others say.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
    I've actually reduced the amount of scrunching I do exactly for this reason. Scrunching out the crunch, squishing upward to apply leave in or styler, and plopping all seem to exacerbate my frizz rather than reduce it. I'm using more downward motion for product application, and while it definitely isn't helping to increase my curl it does seem to help with the frizz. I never thought to try it with the hair dryer too...I've been using my bowl diffuser to gather up the length and let it sit inside. (I can't let it 100% air dry because I wash in the AM then go straight to work.) I do take off the diffuser and use the barrel to dry underneath closer to my roots, especially at the crown. Maybe tomorrow I'll try drying without the diffuser at all and see what happens!
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a fake wavy. Without the diffuser my hair is flat flat flat :(
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    chupie wrote: »

lol, that's kind of how I feel about my curls. Without my diffuser, I'd be a bit less curly.

I'd love to give it up, but my hair takes way too darn long to dry with product. Maybe this summer if I get a shorter cut (which will probably happen) I'll drop the diffuser until it gets cold again. I know my ends would thank me.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte

My name is nature cat. And I belong to fake wavies anonymous. Without the diffuser my curls get pulled out. If there's ever a power outage I'll walk around with a bandana. :)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Sixelemy you have a LOT of wave. A ton if your naked pic is anything to go by.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    naturecat wrote: »

My name is nature cat. And I belong to fake wavies anonymous. Without the diffuser my curls get pulled out. If there's ever a power outage I'll walk around with a bandana. :)

Eggsactly
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is so dense it takes forever to dry and because the strands are fine I sometime end up with flyaways no matter how much moisture/product I use if I use a hand dryer. I did find a nifty trick that I love. I work one hour away from home. If I have to wash my hair in the AM or even just re-wet I use the air vents in the car to dry! Honestly I put jaw clips in to give me lift and clip all around to hold the curl in place and put the air vents on. By the time I pull into work my hair is "set", I pull out the clips, and just have to rearrange a few curls. I'd love to invest in a hooded dryer. I did try the bonnet dryer from Sally's it doesn't fit right on my head.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't tend to blow-dry my hair a lot, but, man, if I tried it without the diffuser the results would be hilarious for me.

Glad it's working for you though! Lots of people when they diffuse don't do the 'pixie' method and just blowdry their hair 'normally' in the downward motion, but with the diffuser. So maybe that's something you can try too.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Sixelemy you have a LOT of wave. A ton if your naked pic is anything to go by.

I do.. but my roots won't do anything without a diffuser, so half my head is flat. Like today, I didn't have time to diffuse. The top is super flat and the back portion of my head that doesn't get a ton of wave to begin with just has this weird flippy outty thing that just feels comfortable when I touch it. I can only imagine how "bad" it looks (when in reality I'm sure it looks just fine lol). It usually waves at least twice or three times, but not today, just the flip at the end.

I couldn't imagine blow drying it downward, especially upside down.. I'd have a head full of fluff or a flat head of blah upright. How do you people get root volume or root pattern :(
    sixelamy wrote: »
    How do you people get root volume or root pattern :(

Scrunching. Oh so much scrunching. LOL.

Seriously though, I do flip my hair upside down and scrunch at the roots and all the way up the hair shaft when my hair is wet, not just the ends

DC:

It doesn't work for me, I still don't get volume :( My roots are a failure.
    noodly wrote: »
    I used to do the stupid mistake of diffusing immediately... Now I just wait til its 10% dry(I do my hair at night). My hair wont then frizz up. I notice no extra volume with or without diffusing though....

If I do diffuse it's usually because I'm in a massive rush, so I always diffuse straight away. Have to say, I think I get less frizz if I diffuse straight away! Weird, how people's hair can be so different!

DC:

• BomerAngBomerAng Posts: 31Registered Users
    I have to plan washes around when I have time to air dry. I am looking into a hair dryer bonnet bc some days I really need to dry and the diffuser tends to make my hair pretty flat and frizzy.
    CG since January 2015
    2b/2c fine hair, normal porosity, low elasticity, low density
    shampoo: rye flour
    conditioner: deva one
    gel: kccc and flaxseed
  • Maggie86Maggie86 Posts: 83Registered Users
    My hair ir weird, if I use a diffuser then it just gets big without a lot of curls and if I dry it only with the hairdryer it will curl in a way I don't really like...for me the best option is to air dry my hair but of course every hair is different :tongue3:
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte

My mom and my step daughter are straights. Stick straights. They could diffuse their hair until the cows come home and they won't get even one wave. (They may get a couple pieces that stick out funny but it won't be a real "wave".) So if you get your lovely waves with a diffuser, you're far from fake. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • shyleejeneeshyleejenee Posts: 2Registered Users
    I gave up a while ago on the diffuser. I hated how it looked every time I did it, I even had it done at a salon and hated it too.

Sent from my XT1049 using CurlTalk App
  • BeebopBeebop Posts: 457Registered Users Curl Novice
    Bumping this thread on blow drying...I noticed now after several years of going CG my hair is so much thicker and curlier than it use to be when I straightened it more often, now I rarely do.
    But when I diffuse my hair it gets too full & fluffy and the crown gets some weird bends in the curls that I can't always put in place right after scrunching no matter what products I use.
    So I thought I would try to loosen my curl a bit by blowing upside down without a diffuser first, air dry while putting on makeup & then finish off with a diffuser at the end till dry pushing bowl up towards scalp.
    Seems to help relax the weird bent curls on my crown and gave me looser spirals today...anyone else try this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Leave In- Conditioner large pea size
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    I blow dry in a downward direction too, but I use the diffuser. If I go up, the ends of my waves get weird bends, and I get a lot of frizz as well. So I started just recently doing something different. It gives me amazing frizz free resultsI can either plop or not with this method.

After scrunching out as much water as I can with a tshirt (and sometimes plopping), I will spray on a cone free heat protector and put my dryer on either medium or high heat depending on how much time I have, with low speed. With my hair upside down I take a couple curl clumps in my hand and gently cradle them up towards my scalp.

Then I put the diffuser on top, blowing on both the curl and the roots at the same time. I hold until my hand gets hot, then move the dryer to an area of my scalp to dry the roots while I continue to let the curls cool in my hand, then I gently release them go to another section, repeating the process until everything is about 50% dry. I've never tried air drying at this point, but I probably could without losing curl since I use a hard hold gel.

I usually take a few minute break to brush teeth, put on makeup, etc. Then I'll dry again until about 70% and clip my roots. If I clip them sooner it messes up my clumps a bit. So then I concentrate on the roots, and diffuse some more until 90% and air dry the rest.

This method keeps my clumps in tact, and I get incredible bouncy curls out of my 2b hair that lasts for days.

I don't know what to call this method, as I haven't seen if it already has a name. I call it cradle diffusiing.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
    Coppercrown,
    So it sounds like you are using your hands instead of diffuser bowl to scrunch hair up towards scalp while blowing?
    What cone free heat protector do you use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
    Wash-Desert essence frizz be gone/ Shea Moosture curl & shine/Biolage keratin dose
    Cond-Desert essence frizz be gone/Shea Moosture curl & Shine/ Biolage ultra hydrasource
    Stylers- Condition 3-in-1 mousse, Biologe mousse, Shea Moosture silicone free miracle styler leave in treatment, Shaper hairspray for extra hold.:coffee2::coffee:
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    Thankfully, whether I diffuse or not doesn't really affect how curly my hair is. I still have the same amount whether I diffuse or air dry.

Air drying, I get lots of spirals and waves that are nicely defined. Diffusing usually results in more fluffy hair. This isn't a bad thing, but it's not the look I'm going for. I'm trying to combat this by using a bit more gel than I would if I was air drying. So far, that does seem to help a little. I also have a tendency to get some funky ends and some stringlets from diffusing, but I can usually fix them with some water.

I'm not ready to give up on diffusing yet. At the bare minimum, it's great for jumpstarting the drying process. Without it, my hair would be damp near my roots all day. I hate the feeling of wet hair, so most wash days, I just use it to get the "wet" out. My hair is okay with this, and I don't get too much fluff as long as I don't overdo it.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to get good hair from diffusing my hair wet to dry, or even mostly dry. I get the best results if diffuse my hair halfway dry and let it air dry the rest of the way. That still takes a good couple hours to dry, at least, but it's better than waiting all day.

For reference, I diffuse on low with warm/cool air. My hair dryer claims it's cool, but the air definitely feels warm to me. I'll use the cool shot button towards the end of a diffusing session too.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

Beebop wrote: »
    Coppercrown,
    So it sounds like you are using your hands instead of diffuser bowl to scrunch hair up towards scalp while blowing?

Yep! I don't really scrunch though, I just cup the curl in my hand and gently lift up towards my scalp, so the curl keeps its shape. And the dryer is blowing down into your hand, and also on your roots. It keeps the clumps completely in tact for me, and then I SOTC when it's 100% dry. My hair doesn't naturally clump well, so here's the difference this method makes in my hair. First picture is my natural, naked waves, next picture is my day 2 hair with zero refreshing, using this method.

I use the John Frieda Heat Defeat. Just a few sprays over my whole head. It has one water soluble cone. It also has a protein (which my hair is fine with), glycerin, and alcohol denatured. My hair does fine with it, but I'm also using a smaller amount all over, and not saturating small sections.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
    ^^^ omg I love your hair.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I totally agree. Straight haired people can't fake waves. Any curl just falls out.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a blow dryer which has real low airflow and heat settings (even the high heat setting is just very warm, as in not uncomfortabley hot for my scalp, so curl friendly), so I can get just warm air at a non-gale force volume. I have occasionally dried my hair with it using the old (pre-invention of diffusers) technique: spreading my fingers out like a claw, then inserting them to my scalp, pulling the roots up away from my scalp slightly, and holding the dryer so the flow is going toward my roots, and down the hairshaft. This gives me better rootlift than clipping does, and doesn't blow all the curl out of my hair. FWIW, the dryer is a SuperSolano 3500 Lite Professional Hair Dryer.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    My natural curls hang downwards, with no volume to them. I have tried diffusing my hair a few times in the past, but learned that I just wasn't down with the shrinkage that it gives my curls and the way that it sucks moisture from my hair. It's like after I have diffused my hair, I need to re-moisturize it, in order to get it back to looking well hydrated again. Now, even with those things mentioned, I must say that diffusing definitely does help with providing more definition and noticeable volume, plus it works to dry ones hair really quickly. And, I definitely do understand that a lot of curlies don't have the time to wait an hour or hours for their hair to fully
    airdry instead. So, I can definitely understand why there are quite a number of curlies that do choose to diffuse their hair dry. However, for me, it is something that I am okay doing without.

My hair does take upwards of 6 hours to fully dry, which was a pain at first to deal with, but I have gotten used to such, so it no longer bothers me. I just happen to get up extra early on my hair wash days (which is normally on the weekends), so that way I will have washed, conditioned, styled my hair, and it will be fully air dried by early afternoon.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Coppercrown,

Yep! I don't really scrunch though, I just cup the curl in my hand and gently lift up towards my scalp, so the curl keeps its shape. And the dryer is blowing down into your hand, and also on your roots. It keeps the clumps completely in tact for me, and then I SOTC when it's 100% dry. My hair doesn't naturally clump well, so here's the difference this method makes in my hair. First picture is my natural, naked waves, next picture is my day 2 hair with zero refreshing, using this method.

I use the John Frieda Heat Defeat. Just a few sprays over my whole head. It has one water soluble cone. It also has a protein (which my hair is fine with), glycerin, and alcohol denatured. My hair does fine with it, but I'm also using a smaller amount all over, and not saturating small sections.

Your hair looks awesome! :happy11:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
    Coppercrown,
    Your hair is even better the 2nd day, more smooth & spirally!! Very pretty! So let me clarify my question...you are diffusing with your head upside down right and cupping the curls & just pointing the diffuser at your hand? May be something I could try too but I think my curl pattern is a little stronger than yours so who knows. I did the same technique today that I did yesterday & my hair looks totally different! Everyday my hair does it's own thing and never looks the same! So frustrating, just when you think you've hit HG status it all changes!
    Thank you so much, chupie and Reservechick!
    Coppercrown,
    Your hair is even better the 2nd day, more smooth & spirally!! Very pretty! So let me clarify my question...you are diffusing with your head upside down right and cupping the curls & just pointing the diffuser at your hand? May be something I could try too but I think my curl pattern is a little stronger than yours so who knows. I did the same technique today that I did yesterday & my hair looks totally different! Everyday my hair does it's own thing and never looks the same! So frustrating, just when you think you've hit HG status it all changes!

Thank you! Well, the first picture isn't any styling, that's just my hair au natural. And yes, you keep your head down, cup the curls in your hand up to your scalp, and point the diffuser at your hand, and a bit at your roots. I kind of angle the dryer diagonally to hit both. You can even use your fingers a bit to get up in your roots to lift them even more as you dry.

And I have done this diffusing two different ways, it depends on if I plop or not. My profile pic is with this method, but plopping first for 20 minutes. So it's a bit piecier. If I plop, then I start with my head upside down until 50% dry, and then I will go side to side until 70%, then clip, then finish it off to 90%. I find my hair likes these 5-10 minute breaks while I'm drying, no idea why.

The 2nd picture in my previous post is without plopping. I parted my hair on either side of my head and made the clumps that way in the shower, then scrunched in product, scrunched out the water, then dried in this same position. So my head is more upright if I don't plop. I put my head down still, but I keep my hair on either side of my head, if that makes sense. I have only tried it this way twice, but I get great clumps that are very curly and last for days!

Sorry if any of that is confusing. Maybe I'll make a video or take some photos of my process.

And yeah, your hair is curlier than mine, so I don't know how it would affect you, but I would still think that diffusing down the shaft would make it shinier and less frizzy than diffusing the regular way.

Oh man, yeah, every time I do my hair it turns out different than the last time. Curly hair is an adventure!

Mod CG
    Ok I lied before (but not really). I actually gave up the diffuser about a month ago. My hair has been so much better. I also have a better hold gel, so it retains my curls and the lack of root volume or curl doesn't bother me as much now. As long as my curls are defined, I'm good! My hair has been in better health for it too. I've tried to diffuse twice in the last couple of weeks (in a hurry to be somewhere where pictures were being taken) and my hair was much more frizzy and the gel didn't hold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights