New Wavy

DTheGrreatDTheGrreat Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi. Not exactly sure what type of hair I have except that it's type 2 and it's medium thickness with fine strands. My hair tends to be dry to the point that if I use the wrong products, it gets so dry that when I brush it it sounds like I'm brushing through wheat stalks and the ends coil up so tight even a pencil couldn't get through. (I also live in a dry desert, so part of it could be environment). However, too much moisture weighs it down and makes it greasy. My hair is layered and the bottom layer is almost down to the small of my back while the top layer is at the top of my shoulders. When it air dries, the top layer is in loose ringlets and the bottom layer has a slight wave and it turns into loose waves after brushing it. I have staticky baby hairs that stand up from my head and a tiny bit of frizz. Not sure if my hair is coarse or smooth. The ends are bleached, but there's not much left. As for porosity, not so sure, but it can take up to three hours for my hair to air dry. As for hair products, I use drug store brands because that's all I can afford. Mousses don't work on my hair because my hair has a lot of weight, and strong gels make my hair feel crunchy. Right now I use head and shoulders shampoo for my itchy dry dandruffy scalp, tresemme's moisture lock conditioner, and garnier's deep nourish 5-action marvelous oil. So could someone please tell me what hair type I have and what products/ would work best? I would like to know if there's something that would help even out my waves and help hold them in after they air dry.

Comments

• malobeemalobee Posts: 41Registered Users
    Hi there! Welcome to wavy-land! I just want to start by saying that, while I am aware that it can be very overwhelming to start this process, it does require a lot of reading and time investment to figure out hair density/porosity/texture and then what products work best for you. As it stands now, I am still in the middle of transitioning to no poo and I am not convinced that my hair is ever going to like it. :wink: BUT it is all about the trial and error.

Your best bet is to check out the really awesome sticky threads in the newbie forum. For your convenience here are a few:

Gretchen's Start Here thread
    Wowohwow's Useful Info
    ReddishRock's SUPER useful glossary of common NaturallyCurly Acronyms
    Gretchen mentioned this in that first link that I posted, but in case you missed it READ THIS

Also, I also live in a desert climate so doing some reading about dew point is going to be important for you (especially with dry hair). Dew point is going to impact what type of products you use as well.

Curly Nikki "Humectants, Weather, and Hair Care: Part 1"
    Part 2

Again, I know it seems like a lot, but as you can see from the Before & After CG thread a lot of people have amazing results. It is really all about patience, trial and error, and turning to your other curlies/wavies for support.

Good luck! :wav:
    Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

Cleanse: DevaCurl Lo Poo
    CO: DevaCurl No Poo
    RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    LI: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
    Styling: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, plopping, diffuse

:thumbdown: : KCCC (seriously I have never hated a styling product more!)
    :thumbright: : Coconut Oil
  • DTheGrreatDTheGrreat Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks for the help! I have 2b low porosity high density hair.
    Wow. I wound up more confused than ever. I tried the spritz and condish method and then scrunched in some mousse and tried plopping. I get more wave from sleeping on my hair while it's loose. Plus, the mousse made my hair feel dirty and there was still frizz and my bottom layer fell straight(it always does). I can't go stick to just detangling in the shower. My hair had a rats nest by the end of the day. Is that because my hair is so dry?? And I have a question about the cherry Lola method. Would a conditioner with aloe in it work to seal the hair cuticle too?
    DTheGrreat wrote: »
    Wow. I wound up more confused than ever. I tried the spritz and condish method and then scrunched in some mousse and tried plopping. I get more wave from sleeping on my hair while it's loose. Plus, the mousse made my hair feel dirty and there was still frizz and my bottom layer fell straight(it always does). I can't go stick to just detangling in the shower. My hair had a rats nest by the end of the day. Is that because my hair is so dry?? And I have a question about the cherry Lola method. Would a conditioner with aloe in it work to seal the hair cuticle too?

Haha I am sorry! sounds like the mousse you have is not working for your hair. What texture hair do you have (fine, medium, coarse)? Also what is the dew point where you live? Since you have low porosity hair, the spritz and condish method might be bad for you. Low porosity hair craves water (or so I have read) and so that method might be depriving your hair of what it wants.

I also recommend checking out the products in the low porosity forum. I have a completely different hair type, and am still new myself, so I am not very familiar with what works there. But yeah porosity/texture/density is really the way to go so I recommend starting in the low porosity forum.

A lot of 2 wavies have normal to high porosity hair that is finer so we tend to stick with products and methods that do not weigh hair down and will create volume. Keep in mind that it may not work for your hair type even though you have type 2 hair. :) Curl pattern is really just how our hair looks, not a way to tell how to treat it.
    Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

LOL... that explains a lot. The dew point here is about 36... not really a lot of moisture in the air. My hair is fine/low porosity/high density and I'm having a hard time figuring out what it wants. I didn't even know there was a forum for low porosity hair. Thanks so much, I'll try looking there.
    Glad I could help! I hope you find something that works for you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file