New to Naturally curly, lots of questions!!

kklippkklipp Posts: 1Registered Users
Hello so I'm brand new to this site so I have lots of questions regarding my hair that hopefully someone can help me with. But first some background info on my hair
-I'm white (so my hair is non-ethnic).
-It's about medium thickness.
-I occasionally use heat on it, not every week but some weeks I will use heat more than once.
-I have a blend of textures (2a, 2b, 2c, 3a, 3b), the top layer tends to be the straightest, near my ears is the curliest, the next curliest/waviest being underneath.
-My hair is about to the bottom of my boobs.
-I've never dyed it or used any other chemical processes.

Anyways, these are the questions I have:
-Why do I have so many different textures of curls/waves?? and why is the top layer nearly straight? Anything I can do to make the texture more even?
-Not sure what my hair's porosity is but I find it gets weighed down easily (and thus products like mousses and gels make my hair straighter??) but yet the more moisturized it is the curlier it is. Any ideas?
-My hair seems to be very susceptible to damage and brittle why is this? Low/high protein?

Also any advice or product suggestions would be much appreciated the more defined and wavy/curly my hair is the better. (Oh and I am thinking about buying some shea moisture products how are they for wavy hair?)

Thank you sooo much sorry this is long :)

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, so hi! :)

To answer your questions:

Lots of curlies / wavies have different textures. That's what makes each head of hair so unique. Though, yes, most people do have one 'dominant' curl type. When you're able to, post a picture of your hair and people can help you determine your curl type as people are often 'mistaken' as to what their curl type is.

If the top layer of your hair is more straight, this could be due to some damage as the tops of our hair are exposed most to the harsh weather etc. and when we use heat we do tend to focus on the top layers.

You say mousses and gels make your hair straight, do you scrunch after you put the product in? Scrunching is pretty essential (IMO) after applying product. If I just smoothed it in, it would totally elongate my curls. Also, what type of gels have you tried? Thicker gels that have a 'jelly-like' texture can be a bit hit or miss for me too, so I tend to use gels with a more watery / serum-like texture. Works SO much better and really helps to emphasise my curl.

If your hair seems to easily break / be brittle etc. it could be a result of heat damage. You may have high porosity, which is prone to more dryness as moisture doesn't stay 'locked in'. How long does your hair usually take to dry from wet? This is a good indicator of porosity.

With Shea Moisture products, your curl type doesn't really matter, it's your hair properties that will decide whether or not they work for you. For instance, those with low porosity can't tend to use Shea Moisture products as they find they get build-up etc. I have medium porosity and I adore the Shea Moisture shampoo and have used it religiously ever since I began my CG journey.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kklipp wrote: »
    Anyways, these are the questions I have:
    -Why do I have so many different textures of curls/waves??
    Because you are normal.

The pictures you see with the perfect curls are either models so someone has spent ages making them look the same, fake hair or you aren't actually seeing their full head of hair.
    and why is the top layer nearly straight?
    Even though you haven't chemically processed your hair it can be damaged from just how you treat it, the environment you live in, dietary factors, previous heat damage, sun damage or a mixture of these factors.
    Anything I can do to make the texture more even?
    You can make it look better so it's less noticeable.
    -Not sure what my hair's porosity is but I find it gets weighed down easily (and thus products like mousses and gels make my hair straighter??) but yet the more moisturized it is the curlier it is. Any ideas?
    -My hair seems to be very susceptible to damage and brittle why is this? Low/high protein?
    -Work out your hair properties not just your curl type and post them.
    -Post how you look after your hair and the products you currently use. There is no point spending money on products as you could be doing something simple that isn't helping your hair.
    Also any advice or product suggestions would be much appreciated the more defined and wavy/curly my hair is the better. (Oh and I am thinking about buying some shea moisture products how are they for wavy hair?)
    You haven't posted whether you use shampoo or not and what type of shampoo you use.

If your hair is brittle/porous olive oil/coconut oil/almond oil over night/non-working day pre-poos may help you.

Sleeping on a statin pillow case and pineappling your hair at night will help you retain moisture and stop your hair breaking/splitting.
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    Lots of great reading here on the site, so have fun browsing around.

Product performance is dependent on:
    hair properties (fine vs. coarse, porous vs. non porous, etc.)
    weather conditions (may determine how humectant ingredients further react with your hair type)

I have multiple patterns - 4 that I can count - and it is totally genetic and quite normal. My best piece of advice is to get a haircut that is right for your hair (not every style is right for every pattern). It doesn't have to be a "curly" cut, but I highly recommend finding a stylist who (a) has curly hair herself and (b) is willing to work with your head of hair. Cultivate a good relationship with her. Don't be afraid to go back to her to fix something you might have missed with the first cut as most stylists are happy to fix something that goes wrong. And if you just can't work with a particular stylist, cut bait and move on. It's only hair, after all.

Oh, and lots of patience! :nike: It took a good 6 months for me to see consistent results... I didn't have heat or chemical (relaxer/perm) damage, but had used non-water soluble silicones for years, which smothered my natural hair pattern.

Welcome aboard!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file