Really need some suggestions!

Macy0810Macy0810 Posts: 2Registered Users
I have been browsing this site but have to post. I ordered the handbook but it has yet to arrive, so I have been browsing for what to do. I have really dry hair that tends to be frizzy. Here is a pic of my hair, I should of took a pic at the time but didnt think about it. My problem is the top layer as you can see is very dry, frizzy and does not look right. But under the top layer my hair actually looks nice and wavy. I plan to get a needed hair cut in hopes it will help, but would you recommend I use a serum, gel, creme or leave in conditioner? Would any of those help this problem? I have tried serums before in the past but they left my hair looking greasy. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!!!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dry canopy is a universal problem. It's the most exposed. In order for people to help, it's good to give more information--especially hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free Her e-book is really great, all of the information in one place and it's only $3.99!

Looks like you could use a good haircut. It's the foundation for everything else. Appropriate layers with "lighten" things up. You really don't say what you've done. It looks like the dryness is caused by damage?? color?? You need to treat your hair with lots of TLC. PTs and DTs may be the way to go.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Macy0810Macy0810 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you for replying. I color my hair once every 5 weeks. I don't ever blow dry it or straighten it. So heat is never used. What does PT and DT stand for? As soon as my book arrives I hope to read up on how to take better care of my hair, until then I am just looking for ways to be able to have it looking "decent" lol
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    DT = deep treatment (conditioner), PT = protein treatment.

if you read the newbies info forum you will find lots of good info there. and there is a thread with acronyms so you can figure them out. it should be a sticky in one of the forums, most likely the general discussion one.

as kathymack said, it is good to figure out your hair properties so you get a better idea of what products to use -- livecurlylivefree.com is a good place to start to learn about them. also, if you want to have a hair analysis with suggestions for best ingredients you can go to science-yhairblog.blogspot.com and click on the right side of the homepage for
    Goosefootprints Analysis.
    and, always, a haircut is always a good place to start.

keep reading! you will get there!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    + 1 to rbb's comments. If you're waiting for the CG book to explain everything. I fear you'll be disappointed. It doesn't have the "technical" information you may be craving. It does have a great DVD that makes it worth the price. Really helps you with styling. I could never use the copious amount of product they do, but learned much about technique.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file