Gender Neutral Bathrooms

claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
As someone who has eschewed the long lines in the Ladies and dashed into the Men's (with a lookout in place), I don't especially care about separate gender bathrooms.

However, I do wonder: are there urinals? Because I'd rather not see a stranger's willy. Also, men's bathrooms tend to be really gross (see above for how I know this). Will gender neutral bathrooms skew awful?

I'm sorry if this seems ignorant. I'm not sure where to ask.

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't like them. And they usually smell like pee.
  • SpecklaSpeckla Registered Users Posts: 187 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think I would like them. I have a hard enough time using public restrooms with other females present. I couldn't imagine with males around. I hate public restrooms where you can see through the cracks in the stalls.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I would assume a bunch of stalls?

As far as men's bathrooms being gross, after years of working in bars, women's are way grosser then men's.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Women pee on the seats while squatting, try and and cover the seats with toilet paper, then squat and pee all over the paper and leave it, used hygiene products, water/soap/makeup/garbage all over the sinks.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Well that's because you're dealing with drunk women. Lol. In most offices and public buildings, men's restrooms tend to smell worse and are dirtier.

I don't want to go into the restroom and have a man in the next stall. I would end up holding it in until I could make it into a private restroom. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    We have one at work. They put a vacant/in use sign on the door that you can flip when you go in. I rarely use it, it's kind of a hassle, and I'm always afraid one of the very few men will walk in anyway despite the sign. Luckily the women only bathroom is on my side of the office. I can't remember if there's urinals or not, I've only used it once when our bathroom was out of order.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    My initial thought is ick, no thanks but then I realised we have such toilets at work. There are three lots of gender specific ones but up on the wards there are just "staff toilets" that we all use. They're rarely yucky, just annoying to find the seats left up sometimes!
    Though these are just single toilets.
    3b in South Australia.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    I think the OP was referring to multiple toilets in one co-ed, all gender restroom.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • butter52butter52 Registered Users Posts: 292
    I would assume a bunch of stalls?

As far as men's bathrooms being gross, after years of working in bars, women's are way grosser then men's.

Yup! And the bar I worked at was not even the kind where people where drunk
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    Starmie wrote: »
    My initial thought is ick, no thanks but then I realised we have such toilets at work. There are three lots of gender specific ones but up on the wards there are just "staff toilets" that we all use. They're rarely yucky, just annoying to find the seats left up sometimes!
    Though these are just single toilets.

That is how it works in my office. There are gender specific bathrooms across the hall and one for all in the office. It is only one toilet though, and the men do leave the seat up. That is annoying and would be even more so in a bathroom with multiple stalls.

I'm really not too fond of the idea on a large, public restroom, level.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I think the OP was referring to multiple toilets in one co-ed, all gender restroom.

I realised after I'd posted, hence the last sentence which was edited in. I wouldn't like the above scenario.
    3b in South Australia.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    Not a fan of sharing bathrooms with men. They just tend to be grosser than women in most instances.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Yeah, I just don't know.
    I will have to say that is interesting meeting someone that has a 5-o'clock shadow, who I think is ok. However, then meeting someone who has amazing curls, better than mine! wearing cork wedges, and a purse with the name tag H.M. or whatever.
    No problem with me. I just don't know what to do with that. He seemed very nice and wanted attention. However, one of the ladies I spoke with said, I don't know what to do.
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • SpecklaSpeckla Registered Users Posts: 187 Curl Connoisseur
    :happy3:
    Yeah, I just don't know.
    I will have to say that is interesting meeting someone that has a 5-o'clock shadow, who I think is ok. However, then meeting someone who has amazing curls, better than mine! wearing cork wedges, and a purse with the name tag H.M. or whatever.
    No problem with me. I just don't know what to do with that. He seemed very nice and wanted attention. However, one of the ladies I spoke with said, I don't know what to do.
    I typically don't view the restroom as a place for meeting people. ;)
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Besides the fact that men are messier and grosser than women in my opinion, literally pee is usually all over the ground, not just seat and the whole place smells like piss, I don't need guys seeing me fix my hair and put on lipstick, that's annoying.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    The latches on some doors are more secure than others and I would not want a man accidentally walking on me while I was doing my business.

Generally I think it's a bad idea for men to hear and smell women taking loud, nasty dumps (esp at work). I just think it's bad for the psyche. Also men have the ability to light a bathroom up like 10 women together could not do (why is this???) and no one should have to experience that. If you are married to them, OK, that's your choice. But I'm not volunteering for that.

Also, I "suspect" (know) some men masturbate and/or have spontaneous erections on the can. No, I don't want to have to see them sheepishly scurrying away like that.

What is this? An episode of Ally McBeal?:puker:

eta - also some women cry in the bathrooms at their job. Not many, not frequently. But I have witnessed it several times. Men don't need to be there for that.

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine wrote: »
    Besides the fact that men are messier and grosser than women in my opinion, literally pee is usually all over the ground, not just seat and the whole place smells like piss, I don't need guys seeing me fix my hair and put on lipstick, that's annoying.

What about if they're guys who identify as women, who've changed in a private stall, and are also using the mirror to spruce up?

I'm torn between thinking that it would take some getting used to, and asking them for eyebrow-shaping tips (not kidding).

Also, in fairness, and though I may be wrong, men who identify as women probably (hopefully?) are less careless with their urine. This may be wishful thinking on my part.
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    Speckla wrote: »
    :happy3:
    Yeah, I just don't know.
    I typically don't view the restroom as a place for meeting people. ;)
    Thankfully, there was no restroom encounter. Just us women discussing wtf to do with this situation. He/she seemed nice enough. Very cool and I think just wanted to converse with us all. :dontknow:
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • ReubenReuben Registered Users Posts: 7
    Have you ever seen those family bathrooms? Just a toilet seat and a place to change the baby perhaps?

Those are gender neutral! Not too many people have a need for gender neutral bathrooms (at least according to research out there), and it can definitely make people a lot more comfortable about going to the restroom in public. Bathrooms like those I'm definitely for! And if there happens to be larger gender neutral bathrooms I don't really see the problem. If you chose to go into one, then that's your choice, cause I don't see the male/female bathrooms going anywhere soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file