Cat + Dog = Introduction?

sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
Unexpectedly, our shelter brought in 6 Australian Cattle puppies, which my fiance has been wanting for forever! They don't come through the shelter very often, and we've been looking a lot lately at animals, and considering another pet. Our shelter posted a video of these dogs today that they put out for adoption this afternoon, so I showed my fiance. He went over there on his lunch hour, picked one, and I guess we have a dog! lol I can't wait to meet him after work, he's 3 months old.

Anyhow, we have a cat at home who is rather sensitive. Does anbody have any advice on how to introduce them? The only experience I've had is bringing a cat into a home with a dog, but I'm not sure how to bring a dog into a home with a cat. My coworker says my cat should adjust over time - I sure hope she does! She wasn't afraid of dogs when she was younger, but moving a lot and crappy work hours she lost self esteem and hated other animals. I've brought other animals in, like a bunny, guinea pigs, hamster... she was iffy of the bunny, but got used to her after about a week. My cat's self esteem is way up now after bringing in my fiance and having a better work schedule - so I'm curious how she will take to this puppy. I know a puppy is not exactly the same as a bunny, but that's the only animal I have to compare to.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    It's a lot like bringing in a baby with an older child. You have to make sure the cat gets a lot of attention. That people coming in to see the new animal still pay attention to the original (same with the owners.)

Puppies can be rambunctious, so you have to make sure the cat is safe. Luckily, cats are good about getting out of the way. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised until you know it's all good.

Are you going to crate the puppy?? That may be a good way to assure the cat is safe. It's also a good way to train the puppy.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    Make sure the piggies are covered!
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I would keep them separate for a little while. My semi-feral guy puts up with a lot of rambunctiousness from Mia dog, but he spent significant time on his own in a separate room before I let them encounter each other. Even now, several months later, I still supervise, and if Mia gets a claw-swatting for sniffing Mr. Fred too enthusiastically, I let it happen.

I've also reversed the scenario on occasion by putting the cat in the crate and letting the dog circle and observe.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I had a very timid, very skiddish cat and my sister moved in with 150lbs mastiff. I was a little nervous, my cat took hold though and had that dog living under the dining room table and wouldn't go best her food unless my sister stood next to her.

Because it's a puppy, and your cat already knows the house, it'll be fine. Just make sure they're places the cat can get away from the puppy.

Have fun and post lots of pics!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Thanks everybody!

We are going to crate the dog at night and when we are not home, until he gets older and obedient. They already had an encounter and Alexis hissed at the puppy and the puppy is now scared of her lol He wouldn't come into the living room after that until we physically brought him in here.

He's sleeping on my arm right now, he's had a long day.

I think the cat and dog will be fine together after a couple weeks. Alexis is doing a lot better than I thought she would!! Now I need to puppy proof the guinea pig cage. The puppy hasn't even found them yet I don't think, but Ellie is pissed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App
    The sweetiepie!

• StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Oh, he's a cutie, what have you named him? You have quite the menagerie now!
    3b in South Australia.
    I know, right!? We have a zoo! I love it! We haven't named him yet, I don't know why picking a name is so hard. We need one ASAP for commands though.

He woke up at 4am so we let him out... First time he's really peed. Now he's whining and barking again, I feel bad for the pigs. Ellie is so freaked out and doesn't know what to think. Alexis the cat is cuddled with me for the past 2 hrs. Gosh, all this animal love.

He's really been a great dog so far.

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like you have everything under control!

DH would probably send you my 2 parrots to complete your menagerie. He hates them (and the feeling is mutual, LOL!)
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    lol.. no thank you to parrots ;)

The puppy had a huge poop accident in the crate this morning, poor guy. It stunk up the whole house. Then peed on our carpet a bit later (after he went outside) This potty training thing will be interesting.

We've named him Tango. Apparently it's a name related to guns, plus Dave Tango from Ghost Hunters is my celebrity husband.
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Awwww. Being a puppy, the cat will train him up. They will probably be friends. Some cat/dog pairings go better than cat/cat. Probably a smart dog. I'd sure get training. The good thing about lots of animals is there is way less propensity for boredom or OCD problems from separation anxiety.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    Awwe, Tango is so adorable @sixelamy! Congratulations on the new addition.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
    Thanks lolo!

The cat is doing excellent with him, I am so pleased! Instead of avoiding completely or running away, she will walk around or get up on a chair. Good for her! This is not the same cat I had 5 years ago, temperament wise.

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    They know "babies."
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file