New 2b/2c, with some very specific confusion. Please discuss!

malobeemalobee Posts: 41Registered Users
Hi wavies!

I am Malo, and I have started my CGM journey as of...oh, 20 hours ago. This comes after about a week of research on this lovely site(as well as strutt'swife's blog and LFLC), and one false start due to a hidden cone in my conditioner. After more research and long deliberation I settled on some produts that I found through this site to begin with.

Basically this is where I come up with my problem:

I have 2b/2c hair, but I have discovered that this is pretty much the most useless classification ever on its own. I have fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, and medium density hair that is naturally dry. I also live in a high desert in the Rocky Mountains that has a current dew point of 22 degrees F (yesterday was 8 degrees). For the most part, this is an extremely dry climate, with little variation in humidity/dew point.

What I am wondering is this, are there any other wavies out there that have similar hair type/climate concerns? Any recommendations on product, technique, etc.? I am having a hard time trying to find enough moisture that won't weigh down my fine hair, and it is difficult to find information that is this specific when digging through so many years of accumulated information.

Really looking forward to all that is to come! :love5:
Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

Cleanse: DevaCurl Lo Poo
CO: DevaCurl No Poo
RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
LI: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
Styling: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, plopping, diffuse

:thumbdown: : KCCC (seriously I have never hated a styling product more!)
:thumbright: : Coconut Oil

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    Sounds a little like my hair at this point in my journey... I know I've discussed my routine in detail someplace around here. My climate is cold and dry for the majority of the year (upper midwest, summer is variable, I maybe get 4 months of normal to high dew points).

In a nutshell what works for me:
    • spritz and condish method at least 1x/week
    • alternate cowash/lo-poo every other wash
    • products containing protein
    • humectant free products
    • oils and butters weigh my fine hair down, so I use a hard hold gel with a water soluble silicone (Volumax Mega)
    • pixie diffusing

I can do these things regardless of the weather conditions for the most part. If my hair is well moisturized I can skip leaving in conditioner, which also weighs my fine hair down to a certain extent.

I hope this gets you started - in the end it's all trial and error and finding out what works for you. I have picky skin and hair that doesn't like certain ingredients, so YMMV.

Welcome aboard :hello2:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • malobeemalobee Posts: 41Registered Users
    Thanks for the quick response and welcome. :) The trial and error bit is so dizzying to begin with! It just seems like an endless stream of products and memorizing different chemcials (which are cones, humectants, etc.). I am looking into humectants now and I am going to start by avoiding them because of the clime here. My hair loves coconut oil, so I do a scalp scrub with that fairly regularly. I am wondering how that will go now that I am transitioning to lo poo.

Mainly I am just hoping that a bunch of people that have similar issues will post what they do to give a slightly smaller array to pick from at the beginning.
    Began: February 25, 2015 2C, Fine, Normal Porosity/Elesticity, Medium Density, Low Dew

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ha, just lost my reply so i'll re post.
    definitely avoid humectants in low dews. here is a blog that is helpful for this:
    science-yhairblog.blogspot.com
    the most current one comes up as soon as you google this and it is on humidity. at the end she lists some styling products that do not have humectants. it might be a good starting place.
    btw, you can have humectants in a rinse out conditioner, just don't use it as a leave in then.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    So it has been about a week now and my hair has gone from being so much happier to being awful, stringy, and limp with LOTS of frizz. My hair still feels dry, though not like straw. I cleansed today with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating shampoo this morning in case the frizz/limpness was a result of buildup. I then used SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner as my RO, and Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner as my LI.

For styling I have been using up the rest of my Living Proof Prime Style Extender (It was a product I used before CG and I wanted to see if I could use it doing the CG method) and Tresemme Flawless Curls Extra Hold Mousse. I think that more than anything the mousse is probably the culprit. I have never used mousse before and upon a recommendation I started using this. I have read that a lot of other wavies/curlies get a lot better results using a gel or a gel over a mousse.

Mainly I am just concerned that I am over-moisturizing because I have no idea what that looks like (though my hair doesn't feel "mushy" at all). Any help is appreciated!

EDIT:
    Did some more research and there is quite a lot of polyquat action in the tresemme mousse. Abandoning that ship to see if that helps.

IMG_2336_zps5kiptrfo.jpg

Since I am new the site will not let me post a photo of my hair until I have posted a few times. Hopefully I can post one soon so you can see what I mean.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you have dry hair, your hair is not overconditioned.

I'd recommend steering clear of glycerin. If you have hard water, I'd recommend getting a shampoo with cocamidopropyl betaine and either citric acid or tetrasodium EDTA in it. If you have soft water, I'd recommend cowashing - one that contains cocamidopropyl betaine - like Curl Junkie Daily Fix or Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner.

When it comes to styling products, watch out for drying alcohols like benzyl and isopropyl.

A good clarifying shampoo should be clear with minimal ingredients in it. A lot of people here like Suave Clarifying and Neutrogena Anti-Residue. Giovanni TTT is great, but it's definitely not a clarifying shampoo.

You may want to try a jelly for a styler to start off with. I personally love Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly (Etsy), and Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets (and a lot of people like Spiralicious).
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    If you have dry hair, your hair is not overconditioned.

I'd recommend steering clear of glycerin. If you have hard water, I'd recommend getting a shampoo with cocamidopropyl betaine and either citric acid or tetrasodium EDTA in it. If you have soft water, I'd recommend cowashing - one that contains cocamidopropyl betaine - like Curl Junkie Daily Fix or Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner.

When it comes to styling products, watch out for drying alcohols like benzyl and isopropyl.

A good clarifying shampoo should be clear with minimal ingredients in it. A lot of people here like Suave Clarifying and Neutrogena Anti-Residue. Giovanni TTT is great, but it's definitely not a clarifying shampoo.

You may want to try a jelly for a styler to start off with. I personally love Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly (Etsy), and Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets (and a lot of people like Spiralicious).

I was worried about over conditioning mainly because I have never used so much conditioner in all of my life! :laughing6:

Also, I fortunately do not have a problem with hard water at all, and so I should not really have build up issues. I eliminated the mousse I was using from my routine, did a Shea Moisture Smooth & Repair treatment w/ keratin followed by a DT. My hair is doing better today, though still has some crazy flyaway action. I have started using Tresemme undone as my CO, using the Tresemme naturals moisture for my RO and the Tresemme undone as my LI, and I am going to stick with that for the next week or two and see what happens.

Also, when looking at KCCC I noticed that there was agave nectar extract in it which acts as a humectant. Since I live in very low dews, I decided to not purchase it because I am trying to start sulfate, silicone, polyquat, and humectant free.

So basically I am going to just see where this leads, just sort of my base line. Since I am a noob I am going to chalk up some of my hair woes to it just freaking out because of the transition. :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file