SPINOFF: Sam's Club and other warehouse clubs

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
I'm thinking there might not be enough applicable ppl here for this thread but here goes anyway...

What do you consider to be some of the best buys at the warehouse clubs? What do you get the biggest discounts on? What items are better at the clubs than what you can find elsewhere? Why do you continue to join?

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Paper towels and toilet paper.

Other than that, we didn't find very many great deals to keep us a member. We were a member of Costco, and I don't think we saved much money. The beauty section has some pretty good deals, but I never really used any of that stuff to buy it.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Registered Users Posts: 44
    I think I get pretty good deals on paper goods and cleaning supplies. Sometimes when you need a small electrical appliance (blender, vacuum cleaner, etc) you can find it for a good price at Costco.

We let our membership lapse for a long, long time until just this year because my husband started a business and gets some supplies there. Also, the company I work for supplies OTC medicine for the Kirkland brand and I do some graphic design for them as part of my job. So I like to be able to go in there and see my work on display. :) Also, Sample Sundays. :)
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I just bought a big bunch of paper towels and toilet paper at Sam's...and actually I'm not so sure it was a good deal. I'm starting to second guess the overall benefit of shopping at Sam's, if savings is the biggest consideration...bc Walmart is super cheap and I can get fuel perks if I shop at my regular supermarket.

That said, Sam's has some awesome salmon (w/ the miso herb butter). There was a back massager you strap onto a chair, originally $320, being sold for $70. And I just got a 12 pack of steak knives for $7.99. But the best kept secret is the box of individual sheets of aluminum foil! That is so convenient!

T-bone steak is $2 less/pound than at my regular supermarket.

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    a co-worker takes me to Costco when she's in town for meetings and i buy generic Naproxen (Aleeve), Swiffer stuff, paper towels and big blocks of cheddar! :-)
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    1) business supplies

2) the crab cakes (in the frozen food section)

3) just variety. I may not save, but I can find stuff that I wouldn't otherwise know about (toffee popcorn, food processor, the most amazing bluetooth radio with mic and phone charger that I use for my craft shows)

4) fruit and veggies for salads and juicing

If you are referring to Giant Eagle, yuck. I can NOT shop there. Overpriced and the fruit and veggies are horrible. I go there as a last resort.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    If your Costco has gas, it's usually MUCH cheaper ($.30 then the cheaper stations.) DH drives there to buy gas, I go if in the neighborhood.

Their meat is really good (and cheaper.) Their coffee is great (and cheaper.) Some blends are made by Starbucks, if you like it.

We have a property that's used as a vacation rental--towels, etc., are great. We buy tons of white, so they can be bleached.

Paper goods, dishwasher detergent, dish soap, laundry soap, etc.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    scrills wrote: »
    1) business supplies

2) the crab cakes (in the frozen food section)

3) just variety. I may not save, but I can find stuff that I wouldn't otherwise know about (toffee popcorn, food processor, the most amazing bluetooth radio with mic and phone charger that I use for my craft shows)

4) fruit and veggies for salads and juicing

If you are referring to Giant Eagle, yuck. I can NOT shop there. Overpriced and the fruit and veggies are horrible. I go there as a last resort.

Yes, I shop at Giant Eagle. The quality/selection varies wildly depending on the neighborhood and how new the store is here, so I shop at only two locations. But I'm starting to see just how overpriced it is. I left Kroger and started shopping primarily at GE for the better fuel perk situation. Down here, the average GE is a lot nicer than the average Kroger. Walmart is a lot cheaper than both but I just dread going there.

I do like the frozen crab cakes at Sam's...

Sam's is surprising me w/ stuff like chia seeds, coconut flour, Otterbox phone cases, and the book dept.

Sam's prices on tvs are great, too!

• SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids. I live in Alaska so groceries cost more anyway. I shop at Costco weekly and buy bread, milk, chocolate milk, cheese, lunch meat, apples, toilet paper, paper towels, yogurt, Capri Suns, chicken, lil frozen personal pizzas, french fries, Skinny Pop (I take this to work and share with coworkers), sometimes kid clothes or shoes, garbage bags, etc. I don't buy all this each week, but replenish as needed. The bread, milk, and apples I get each week and get the other stuff as we run out. I'd probably buy more stuff but I have nowhere to put it.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Sigi, my Mom is addicted to that Skinny Pop!! Everytime I go over she's asking me to try it lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    Yes, honey, those frozen crab cakes are my friend

As for produce, I do a lot of farmer's market shopping, so I hate GE.
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    Skinny Pop is good stuff! We (6 people) go through 2 Costco-sized bags a week. It's the perfect work snack.
    I just bought a big bunch of paper towels and toilet paper at Sam's...and actually I'm not so sure it was a good deal. I'm starting to second guess the overall benefit of shopping at Sam's, if savings is the biggest consideration...bc Walmart is super cheap and I can get fuel perks if I shop at my regular supermarket.

That said, Sam's has some awesome salmon (w/ the miso herb butter). There was a back massager you strap onto a chair, originally $320, being sold for $70. And I just got a 12 pack of steak knives for $7.99. But the best kept secret is the box of individual sheets of aluminum foil! That is so convenient!

T-bone steak is $2 less/pound than at my regular supermarket.

Update:
    Don't get the 12 pack of steak knives for $7.99. JUST DON'T.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file