Hair is frizzy/limp/poofy at all times. Help!

abrianamarieabrianamarie Registered Users Posts: 19
Hi everyone!
I'm about to give you every detail, so if you decide to read this, I apologize in advance and don't blame you if you don't finish reading lol:

I'm not technically new to any of this. Actually, I've pretty much been natural my entire life. I've been CG for the past few years. But, I've also been using the same exact products for the past few years. I just feel overwhelmed by all of the products and not being able to figure out what will work and what won't work on my hair. I have A LOT of hair. I'm pretty sure it's somewhere between 3a and 3b. It's very long (down to my lower back when dry!) and like I said, there is a crazy amount of hair on my head. I don't even know how else to explain that, other than just saying I have very thick hair and a lot of it. I also think it's low porosity. When I get out of the shower it never feels slick, it instantly feels dry and not soaking wet. Yet, it takes like 7+ hours to dry.

My routine for the past few years has been to use Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner as a cowash most days and Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo like once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I then use the Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm as my rinse out, but I leave some of it in. Outside of the shower I slather my hair with Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in, and then do the rake and shake method with LA Looks Sports Gel in the 10 hold. I then flip my hair upside down and scrunch out excess water with a tshirt and plop. I don't use a diffuser anymore because I don't like the results. It takes about an hour to get my hair fully dry and it ends up looking poofy, a little frizzy and too much of a curl for my liking (plus, it hurts my arm lol). If I let it air-dry, it will probably take 7-10 hours (7 hours of not touching your hair is nearly impossible, so it ends up frizzing) and I also have a portable/inflatable hooded dryer, which can get my hair dry pretty quickly (30min-1hr), but I feel like the heat is ruining my hair, so I don't want to have to use it daily anymore. My hair comes out of the hood looking shiny and perfect, but it takes about 30 minutes to loose a lot of shine and start to be frizzy

I wash/condition/style my hair daily because I exercise daily. Also, the idea of "second day hair" is not something I have ever known or been able to experience. My hair is usually frizzy and poofy within an hour. It could have to do with how long my hair is. I haven't had it cut in a year. But, even when I do get it cut the results are similar, so that won't make much of a difference. It also lacks a lot of body. It's extremely limp. Oh and it's pretty lightweight, despite being extremely thick and abundant.

If you read that, thank you! I just feel overwhelmed and at a complete loss for what to do.

Comments

• SoukiSouki Registered Users Posts: 11
    hey !! for what Im reading it looks like you have very beautiful and interesting hair! do you have a picture ?? I dont really get your problem.. for volume you can try using the diffuser again ? or maybe be dry it with the cold air mode without diffuser ?
    curly long hair is so difficult.. I have curly long hair too, and a big lack of volume, but I am working on it, and the cold air mode without diffuser is giving me a little more volume.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    It really helps to have "data" about your hair. Otherwise known as hair properties. It's the best way to choose ingredients/products. Here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free Based on dry time, it sounds like your hair is low porosity. Of course, slathering your hair with product will increase dry time (as does the density.)

First, and foremost, would be a good haircut. It's the foundation for everything else. Then you can go on to experimenting with products.

Sounds like your not getting enough moisture. KCKT is a detangler, not really a leave in. My low porosity hair didn't get enough moisture from that (the GVP didn't have enough moisture for me, either.)

If your hair is fine and limp, you could need to add protein to your routine. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. If my styling products don't have protein, I use a protein spray or PT as my first product on.

Good luck.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file