Need some winter hair Rx! Deep C recs, anyone?

aimeelee76aimeelee76 Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey CurlFriends...

About me: I'm crap at figuring out my hair type, but as near as I can tell, I'm currently (since so much of my hair fell out post-partum) a medium 2C with high(?)porosity. I'm also in Boston, land of endless winter, so everything is dry, dry, dry.

Ouidad's DT used to be my go-to, but they changed the formula a few years back and it's never been the same. Not to mention that it's hard to justify the price! I tried Curl Junkie's Curl Rehab over the summer, due to the glowing recs here, but didn't think much of it. Gave it another go a few days ago and it's still not for me. My hair is shiny, but frizzier than before and not moisturized at all!

Anyone have any advice for me? I avoid silicones and try to stay as natural as possible, but really, I just want something that works. I'm pretty useless when it comes to beauty, and could use some help!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you know your texture?? If it's fine/high porosity, you may be in need of protein. My hair is fine/low porosity and never met a protein it didn't like. When I first came on nc.com, I did DTs because I thought I should. Once I started using the right products, for my hair, it was no longer a need for me.

My hair prefers the more natural products. I stay away from chemicals, especially polyquats 4, 7 and 10. Some of the products in my signature may help you.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
    I have a similar hair type, also very porous, and I just picked up some pure coconut oil and used it for the first time this morning. MY GOODNESS the difference! I thought I knew what "soft" felt like in my hair but this is beyond. So far all I did was add some to my ends before I started my morning workout, then did a regular cowash/condition/style. Just before I left for work I added just a tiny bit to smooth down frizzies and seal the ends. I'm planning to do a DT with it over the weekend.

I am super skeptical of woo-woo homeopathic stuff and I had an aversion to coconut oil just because of all the miracle cures attributed to it, but for hair it's making me a believer.

I don't know if protein is needed for your hair, mine is very coarsely textured and I hear protein is bad for that (actually I'm still a little confused about protein) but you could add coconut oil to mayo, eggs, or other oils to make a blend that includes the other properties you need.
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I highly recommend Sevi Pumkin Seed deep conditioner and Curl Junkie Argan & Olive Oil conditioner. You can leave both of these on in the shower for 3-5 mins while you finish up everything else - works great.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • aimeelee76aimeelee76 Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know how to do a signature and don't have time at the moment to figure it out BUT as far as products go I am the queen of simplicity. I wash my hair once every five days with Earth Mama Angel Baby Lavender Shampoo (ingredients here) and I use Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Conditioner as a wash-out conditioner and then again as a leave-in. And that's all, folks.
    My hair is really shiny and healthy, but has some frizz, could be softer, and especially in this weather, is drier than I'd like. I'd also like some hold, but I try to stay really natural.
    Ouidad's DT used to do great things for me, and it was protein heavy, I think. I don't really understand proteins. How do I know if that's what my hair needs? :love7: to you all for taking the time to help me out!
    So you use another shampoo as a conditioner? I hope you mean conditioner, as a shampoo is definitely not a conditioner.

You are using a lot of shea butter, which has the potential to build up, which may cause dry hair.
  • aimeelee76aimeelee76 Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Whoops! Yes, I meant conditioner. I don't really understand build-up, either. How do you know if you have it? I don't think I do, but so much of all of this seems hazy. Porosity? Build-up? Proteins? Grr.
    Oh, ok good.. lol I was worried there for a second! ;)

Yes, it is hard to know what your issues are or why something isn't working, and why it will work this time but not that time. Like with anything, it just takes experience, lots of time and frustration, and message boards to be able to decipher what the problem is.

In my experience with shea butter, it left me with dry, frizzy, undefined curls. I'm not saying this is your problem, but a number of people on the board have had problems with the SM conditioners.

Also, water quality plays a big part. I had super duper hard water and my hair was always dry. If you have hard water, you may want to look into a chelating treatment. If you have soft water, then maybe a shampoo is too harsh for you and you would be better with cowashing with a surfactant - like Curl Junkie Daily fix or Kiss My Face conditioners (Whenever is my favorite).
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curl junkie deep fix!!! :love7:
    it's an hg for me. i use it as a deep conditioner, and a leave in. actually, i rarely do a deep conditioning anymore as the deep fix as a leave in keeps my hair very moisturized.
    i see that you tried the cj curl rehab and it didn't work for you. curl rehab is good as a leave in for me and i sometimes rotate it with the deep fix, but not enough as a deep conditioner. deep fix and curl rehab are different. i think you will be pleased with the deep fix.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file