Moved to tears over this...

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
IDK why I do this to myself so much but I wandered into the pet store again and saw some puppies there as part of their rescue, Speak for the Unspoken. It places blind and deaf and blind/deaf dogs into good homes. The particular dogs it places have these conditions bc they are offspring of two merle colored parents, and there is a 1 in 4 chance of double merles having hearing and/or visual impairments.

My kids and I fell in love with this little guy, Hiccup. He's 11 weeks old and completely blind and deaf (he has two sisters that are deaf and both blind in one eye).
1505403_10206434270281868_3507008572312795965_n.jpg?oh=ba90967fac7190d196a64064debcef67&oe=55559F38

I would love to have him but unfortunately I'm not home often enough for a puppy. Everyone I have spoken to about this says a dog with such profound disabilities would be a huge PITA to deal with. But his current foster-human says it's not; he can be trained easily and function like any other dog.

This org places tons of these double merle hearing and visually impaired doggies a year.

IDK why I'm posting this but Hiccup and his sister ( I met only one of his sisters) had such an impact on me. They were so sweet and cuddly! I had never heard of this "double merle" situation and never realized so m any dogs were born deaf and/or blind. (I know lots of dalmations are born deaf.)

Comments

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    Aww!!! Puppy!!!! Are you thinking seriously of adopting him?

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Oh I reread and saw that you can't. That's a tough decision but if you're really not going to be home a lot it's probably the right one. He's a cutie, though!

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Oh I reread and saw that you can't. That's a tough decision but if you're really not going to be home a lot it's probably the right one. He's a cutie, though!

The coloration on his nose makes it look like a heart and he has a heart-shaped patch on his side. And I saw them on Valentine's Day.

Yeah, i'm not a good candidate for any puppy. My bf works 12 hr shifts so he is off 2-4 days during the M-F week. And I'm off every weekend. He said if I got the dog, he would help out and I could maybe send him to puppy daycare on the other days (if they accept dogs like this). But I know my bf wouldn't reinforce any kind of training or anything. And what if we broke up? (We don't live together.)

But I miss having a dog. I'm allergic to cats. Maybe an adult dog. Was considering a fennec fox. It's so hard to find a good pet that would fit into our life.

There was just something about this little guy...beyond sweet. How lonely life could be for him...

I understand. I have been wanting to adopt another rabbit for awhile but I can't really afford one right now and it breaks my heart to see bunnies who need homes and I can't give them one.

Go Red Wings!

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    SL, since you aren't in a position to adopt, have you thought about volunteering with the organization in another way? if they have a dedicated shelter, maybe you could help there.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    If you set your house up right, you could accommodate a dog. A doggy door that opens to an enclosed outdoor run (so the dog could walk himself) enables many working people to have dogs. I would think blind/deaf dogs would make excellent pets, because they wouldn't be barking all the time. My old dog was blind and deaf for the last few years of her life, and you really couldn't tell. She was all about the love instead of barking and guarding, like she did in her youth. Dogs have such a great sense of smell that they can get along very well without seeing and hearing, as long as they are in a stable and safe environment.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    It's like with guinea pigs, dalmatian colored ones are usually blind when they breed roan on roan.

I know a guinea pig isn't exactly like a dog, but we have a blind one. It's only a PITA if you make it out to be. It's actually truly rewarding to work with the animal and see it blossom. Our blind piggie acts completely normal now, except for being clumsy and running into things sometimes. After working with her, I have a real heart for disabled animals. I'd love to find some more to adopt in the future. Animals like this really need a special home and a lot of attention. If you aren't home enough, then you are doing right by the dog for not getting it. It's truly a sad situation, and why breeders really need to be educated before breeding their animals. Too many irresponsible ones out there who backyard breed and don't know what they are doing to these poor animals. Not saying these dogs were bred... but i wouldn't be surprised if they were.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    It's like with guinea pigs, dalmatian colored ones are usually blind when they breed roan on roan.

I know a guinea pig isn't exactly like a dog, but we have a blind one. It's only a PITA if you make it out to be. It's actually truly rewarding to work with the animal and see it blossom. Our blind piggie acts completely normal now, except for being clumsy and running into things sometimes. After working with her, I have a real heart for disabled animals. I'd love to find some more to adopt in the future. Animals like this really need a special home and a lot of attention. If you aren't home enough, then you are doing right by the dog for not getting it. It's truly a sad situation, and why breeders really need to be educated before breeding their animals. Too many irresponsible ones out there who backyard breed and don't know what they are doing to these poor animals. Not saying these dogs were bred... but i wouldn't be surprised if they were.

I think a lot of them are bred, bc merles seem to be the preferred coat color for Aussies.

white-aussie-21292781.jpg
    (The adult is a regular merle and the baby is a blind double merle. Looks just like Hiccup...)

My concern is more that he's a puppy. Not so much that he has special needs. I think I could handle the special needs (there are classes nearby for training blind/deaf dogs and I would be committed to it.) I just hate to leave a puppy home while I'm at work. The dog run idea is a good one but I'd still worry that he could get lonely or confused.

I think a lot of them are bred, bc merles seem to be the preferred coat color for Aussies.

white-aussie-21292781.jpg
    (The adult is a regular merle and the baby is a blind double merle. Looks just like Hiccup...)

My concern is more that he's a puppy. Not so much that he has special needs. I think I could handle the special needs (there are classes nearby for training blind/deaf dogs and I would be committed to it.) I just hate to leave a puppy home while I'm at work. The dog run idea is a good one but I'd still worry that he could get lonely or confused.

Now that I see a picture of one, I'm pretty sure my friend's dog has some of that in her. She has those speckles, and I've never seen them before on a dog.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that you wouldn't be committed to a blind/deaf dog. It just might be more work than you have time for. Of course, there are no guinea pig classes (that I am aware of?) so a class would probably help a ton ;)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

Well, you could get two...then he wouldn't be lonely.

Helpfully,

Well, you could get two...then he wouldn't be lonely.

Helpfully,
    Argggghhhhhh

Like his sister Astrid?
    1965035_10206449468941825_4876544988129154402_n.jpg?oh=e763e1533d8b5a5630dab81e4431b3b3&oe=558B3A8E&__gda__=1435428836_183a99f9ff579c0ce3e6a317bd2a7d5b

(Hiccup is in the background.)
    This is just torture to me. Cute overload and sad at the same time. Yes, Astrid has on red nail polish for Valentine's day...:love1:

I want one!!!! Do they deliver?
    I want one!!!! Do they deliver?

Maybe? You're not too far away. I hope you do!:blob:
    (They were the calmest, sweetest puppies when held but were really playful when you put them down.)

We've been toying with another pet. Right now it'd have to be a cat, but in the future a dog, when my baby kitty Alexis passes on.

You've really got me thinking about disabled pets, and I really want to rescue nothing but disabled pets now. There is a blind cat at our shelter, and she's gorgeous. Going to see if the fiancé will let me.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I volunteer the other half of my life which isn't doing school or on CurlTalk to my local animal shelter. This kind of stuff really takes a toll on me-the screen is blurry as I type this but I'm just super emotional and sensitive about things like this. I find it hard with how dogs are put down at the pound to make room for more dogs. I had no idea of the impact or just how common this kind of thing was also. Thank you for posting this. Another inspiring story is that a woman who used to work at this shelter left the shelter and opened her own (which happens to be this particular shelter's old facility property) and she rescues as many dogs as she can on the last day after they are put in a rescue shelter. She helps them find homes and refuses to let them be euthanized. I love this woman and I love you. You took the time to post this and not only that but on this website of all places. We can't change everything but we sure as hell can enlighten people because sadly a lot of people don't know what's up whether that be the food on their plate, the bunny for their lipstick, the animals that are born with disabilities and just how common they are of the silicone in their conditioner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Oh my, I can see why you're having a hard time with this. Beautiful puppies.
    3b in South Australia.
    We've been toying with another pet. Right now it'd have to be a cat, but in the future a dog, when my baby kitty Alexis passes on.

You've really got me thinking about disabled pets, and I really want to rescue nothing but disabled pets now. There is a blind cat at our shelter, and she's gorgeous. Going to see if the fiancé will let me.

I am feeling the same way; anyone can get a healthy/able bodied pet but the ones w/ special needs are really "special" and really "need" us.

Here's a chart that explains the double (or "lethal") merling in Australian shepherds, which the the breed that seems to have this problem the most, altho many breeds can double merle.

Aussie-bobtail-merle-chart_dogs-550x548.jpg

:love7:And this is Katniss...she will be the next adoptable double merle at Speak. She looks like a little piglet!

13802_717875924996241_5076058976812043078_n.jpg?oh=72a0c9f701d2db74defc203fd6a23272&oe=554D4E1A&__gda__=1431626343_c3bbb7a8563e3eb2ccda18616513d1e1

• curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    ^ Oh my, how adorable!
  • butter52butter52 Registered Users Posts: 292
    Oh god so adorable.

UGH why people wont neuter their animals, it upsets me so much.

What about your kids? are they responsible and old enough to help you care of a puppy?
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Well honestly I suppose you'd have to be more careful with a dog who has these disabilities but jeez I don't understand people saying they'd be a "PITA". Animals are so adaptive. They don't carry a bunch of "what if" or "I wish" baggage and they just handle it. I have had a cat who went blind and that was late in life. We just didn't move the furniture and he did fine. Deaf has more consideration because they may startle easily but you learn tricks like stomping the floor and such to alert them. It's unfortunate but at least they are in a rescue and so they will get placed with people who have the ability to help them to their full potential.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Just as a PS I think a puppy who was completely deaf and blind would need a home with other dogs because animals are really good about "helping" disadvantaged others. At Best Friends in Utah those animals always seem to develop a "guide" relationship with some other animal there who basically guides them and takes care of them.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I agree about a home with another dog or dogs. My blind piggie didn't do well by herself at all so we had to speed up the introduction. She learned a lot from the other. I imagine this would be universal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App
    Yeah, a totally blind and deaf PUPPY would be biting off more than I can chew. He wouldn't be happy w/ us.

But this small 9 month old border collie mix just became available. She is housebroken and crate trained and only deaf (not blind). And they say she should go to a home WITHOUT other pets. She's available for fostering or adoption. I might apply to be a foster. The rescue needs both. I am considering it.
    ?bust=1424637853&width=632&no_scale_up=1

Well, there are a bunch of others but if I decide on any of them, an older dog who needs to be the only pet seems like the way to go.

Yay fostering.
    Fostering is totally awesome! I respect people who can do it. I think it would be hard, because I'd get too attached to the animals. But I guess if it came down to it, if everything worked out you could end up adopting. I think it's great you are considering.
    Fostering is totally awesome! I respect people who can do it. I think it would be hard, because I'd get too attached to the animals. But I guess if it came down to it, if everything worked out you could end up adopting. I think it's great you are considering.

Yeah, I'm curious how this will turn out (if it happens at all). Will I get so attached, I won't want to show her and will want her for myself? Or will I have her little bags packed and waiting by the door? LOL

(I've always wanted to be a foster parent to human kids, too. Bf and I say we will do it if we ever get married.)

I know these dog rescue folks are busy. But I've tried reaching out to them about the possibility of seeing a couple of dogs and they were rather dismissive. Told me to fill out an app and basically go take a seat.:neutral: And noticed other ppl commenting on FB that they had already filled out apps but hadn't heard back.

Yeah, every rescue works a different way. Some require an app first, others will let you see the animal and then fill out an app. The ones that require an app first are usually in foster homes, or it's run by a very small rescue with limited resources. Kinda cruddy they were dismissive, but I'm sure they want serious applicants only, which I can understand.
    Yeah, every rescue works a different way. Some require an app first, others will let you see the animal and then fill out an app. The ones that require an app first are usually in foster homes, or it's run by a very small rescue with limited resources. Kinda cruddy they were dismissive, but I'm sure they want serious applicants only, which I can understand.

When I asked to see them, I meant could they tell me which pet stores they were scheduled to be at during the upcoming wknds. I wasn't asking to go into anyone's home! Lol

First, I posted the question on the rescue's Facebook page timeline. And someone deleted it. So then I inboxed the rescue on Facebook and 5 days later they told me just to check back periodically on Facebook to see which pet stores. (There's no schedule or any way for the rescue person who maintains the Facebook page to ask the foster person??) So I thanked the person and remarked how I'd like to meet the new little dog pictured above. And the person told me to complete an app.

They were scheduled to be at a certain pet store across town on the 15th and my bf & I drove out there but they never shown up. I just assumed they'd be trying harder to get them adopted.

But I know...ppl are busy. And it gives me a chance to think more carefully about this.

Yeah, I know a lot of ppl who aren't serious probably inquire. But seei g the dogs can actually make the person more serious. I'll fill out the app tomorrow...
    Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

That sounds kind of weird, like they really aren't that organized. I don't know why they would delete a comment of an interested person? Hopefully you can get in contact with someone. I would keep trying.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights