Hair Typing? Newbie?

Chen417Chen417 Posts: 12Registered Users
Hey there! Im new to this website and after transitioning and big chopping, I am ready to start m hair care journey!! I want to start off by knowing my hair type! Can you lovely ladies (and gents) please tell me what my hair might be?

*oh also my hair feels soft to the touch, I don't have a problem with moisturizing or detangling (probably has to do with my length lol) My hair in these pictures are air dried with no product. I looked online and this is how they said to type it! :)

Comments

• BrownRose09BrownRose09 Posts: 14Registered Users
    It looks like your hair is mostly 4B hunnybun!

Here's an old photo of me from years ago. I used it as an comparison:

Photo0476_zpshaxms58o.jpg

Note: my hair is picked out at that time. But I'm more than certain that your hair is roughly the same size in curl. As for strands? Well, I can't say for sure.
    8d842dde-8155-4837-b2c0-9afaf2de4617_zpsc2e6b584.jpg
  • Chen417Chen417 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thank you so much for replying AND posting a picture. I was beginning to think no one would reply :(!
    Sorry for the late reply. Your welcome ;)
  • MIA1487MIA1487 Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't tell between 4b and 4c, to me it's pretty much the same. That's why i always claim 4b/4c texture. If i look for tips i always listen more to 4c groups than any on youtube (i do listen to tips from other textures too, since sometimes those tips work too) but mostly i listen to 4c texture women, especially with long hair.
  • CoililanaCoililana Posts: 66Registered Users
    I just posted this on another thread. Today I caught a program discussing curl patterns on the Live Well Network. The show is called Mirror/Mirror. It may air again, but here is the program in its entirety. They feature a 2c, a 3c and a 4b with a stylist making recommendations for each hair type and showing you how she opts to style their hair. You can watch it here.
    4A-C, Fine/ Fragile/ Prone to Breakage , Extra Dry & Coily :afro:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coililana wrote: »
    I just posted this on another thread. Today I caught a program discussing curl patterns on the Live Well Network. The show is called Mirror/Mirror. It may air again, but here is the program in its entirety. They feature a 2c, a 3c and a 4b with a stylist making recommendations for each hair type and showing you how she opts to style their hair. You can watch it here.

Just be aware the curl typing they do in the link above is different from the one done on this site - here
    Blueblood wrote: »

Just be aware the curl typing they do in the link above is different from the one done on this site - here

Sorry, I didn't see much of a difference other than her saying thicker hair falls under the 'C' category. Maybe I took a liberal interpretation of her efforts, but I just felt she was trying to simplify it.

I still think someone with 4b would find commonalities with the lady she categorized as 4b (the hairdresser also identifies herself as a 4b). Both of them definitely would be 4b per this site's recommendations.

But you may carry a different perspective so please share and elaborate on your concerns.
    Blueblood wrote: »

This is the chart she referenced in the video. It's the same system.
    I had always believed that the difference between 4b and 4c was the size and tightness of the coils that's about it. The problem with this is that not everyone can pinpoint what's the range for 4b and what's the range for 4c. Another problem is that 4 type hair too versatile for it's own good. Oh let me not go on about how our hair is never the same all over.

If you were to see my hair now, you wouldn't believe that it's the same hair from years ago.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte

This is the chart she referenced in the video. It's the same system.

It may be the same system but her "simplification" of the system is just adding to confusion.

She is basically saying someone who has a 4c curl pattern with fine strand width and normal hair density has "coarse textured hair".

If you have seen and felt someone with actual coarse textured hair you will know this is nonsense.

Most type 4s and lots of type 3s new to hair typing wrongly presume their hair is coarse then in fact it's nothing of the sort.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file