February Hits and Misses

adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
What's been your sweetheart? What's been your heartbreak?

hit.
U R Curly Shampoo - I bought a sample at dollar store and surprsingly I liked it. I don't bother with poos that don't have deep scalp cleanse and this one has teatree. Didn't strip. Didn't tangle my hair. Enough in sample for two washes even with my hair so that'a a plus so you can see how you feel about results.

hit
Obia moisturizing cream
Unlike butters which my hair doesn't like this cream is light weight and a little does a lot. plays nice with my gel

hit
Cassia
did a treatment for the first time in years and my hair strands feel smoother

miss
SM CH conditioner
Still don't care for it. Trying to kill it a little at a time.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

• secret_karmasecret_karma Posts: 438Registered Users
    Hits: KJ Naturals Stretch & Curl Cream and KJ Naturals Jamaican Jelly

I FINALLY found stylers that work for me. I can use the Jelly to slick my hair down nicely which never happened before because my hair's so thick. Both stylers smell delicious and give me great twistouts & braidouts.
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
    I discovered last week that my go-to conditioner was reformulated to include dimethicone a while ago, and I've been using it all this time. So I did a reset this weekend and picked up a few new products. Some I love, some not so much.

Miss:
    SM Restorative Conditioner
    L'Oreal Pure Creme Conditioner

Both these conditioners simply disappear into my hair with no slip whatsoever. Not to mention I cannot deal with the Shea Moisture pump...I need GLOBS of condish and it takes forever to get a full palmful using the pump. Maybe once my hair is back in top condition they might be enough, but for now they're too light. I'm going back to Tresemme Natural for my leave-in until I can get to Sally's and try the GVP Conditioning Balm.

Hits:
    SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    SM Curl & Style Milk

Both of these feel luxurious in my hair!
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    knitapeace wrote: »
    I discovered last week that my go-to conditioner was reformulated to include dimethicone a while ago, and I've been using it all this time. So I did a reset this weekend and picked up a few new products. Some I love, some not so much.

Miss:
    SM Restorative Conditioner
    L'Oreal Pure Creme Conditioner

Both these conditioners simply disappear into my hair with no slip whatsoever. Not to mention I cannot deal with the Shea Moisture pump...I need GLOBS of condish and it takes forever to get a full palmful using the pump. Maybe once my hair is back in top condition they might be enough, but for now they're too light. I'm going back to Tresemme Natural for my leave-in until I can get to Sally's and try the GVP Conditioning Balm.

Hits:
    SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    SM Curl & Style Milk

Both of these feel luxurious in my hair!

Was it TJN and S? That sucked. I used to alternate between that and Tresemme but now it's all Tresemme for my li.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    Was it TJN and S? That sucked. I used to alternate between that and Tresemme but now it's all Tresemme for my li.

That was the one. So sad, but I was wondering for a while now why my routine wasn't giving me good hair days anymore. Now I know.

Also, I'm new to the forums and found this thread through the "New Posts" feature, and I just now realized it's in the "4" forum. I'm nowhere near a 4 so I'm sorry if I did a faux pas by posting!! :oops: I love reading about what works for others and just jumped right on in!! LOL!!
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hit: Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner- I feel so slow for just now trying this. Why didn't someone tell to try this sooner?!?! Absolute best cowash and leave-in conditioner, hands down but I wonder if it's working so well because I used a much needed protein treatment on my hair.

Miss: Mixing TN with Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel. I've seen videos of the two being mixed but it flaked in my head even though I only used a little. Could be because of the protein treatment since Eco has protein as well. I'll try it again soon but right now, I'm loving the definition I have w/o the gel.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • pinkpostitheartpinkpostitheart Posts: 112Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MISS - Everything, which includes:

- KCKT
    - KCCC
    - Coconut Oil
    - As I Am CocoShea Whip
    - D&L Mango butter concoction that doesn't moisturize
    - Castor Oil
    - VO5 Conditioner
    - Pantene Relaxed & Natural Conditioner
    - Grapeseed Oil
    - SM Curling Gel Souffle
    - HB Curl Cream
    - SM Tahitian Monoi Deep Conditioner
    - Naturalicious 5-in-1

HIT - Nothing.

My hair is so dry in these temperatures (typically -10 to high of 10 F). I may try hair grease with castor oil after dousing my hair in water (this was a good experiment last year until it wasn't--I had to shampoo more frequently to get the grease off to get the moisture in--then had to DC afterwards, so it was time-consuming). I just cannot get the hair to feel plush and moisturized in these temperatures. The ends feel dry and consistently are drying into tangled balls/SSKs :( I did a very good trim last week and I'm still getting knots.

I am trying to use everything in the cupboards before I resort to buying anything new, but I am feeling very MEH right now about everything. A lot of the products which contain 'cones give temporary relief to the dryness, but they leave behind residue that is obvious on my fine black hair strands so that I have to wash everyday to hide it (which I do not want to do).

Am thinking of going back to uber expensive SM Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner. It worked okay last year, but it's so expensive compared with how much I had to use to get results.

event.png

Last Relaxer: 12/24/2012
    Weekly Products I'm Using:
    Pantene Relaxed & Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner
    Blue Magic Hairdress
    Grapeseed Oil
    my hair is normal-ish porosity / dense / fine+medium strands

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file