Need Advice re: Upstairs Neighbor with Dog

sheilacurlsheilacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Curl Neophyte
We own a ground floor condo and we have an upstairs neighbor who rents the condo above ours. She has a dog that she continuously lets out on her wooden balcony (which is directly above ours) to go to the bathroom.

I have many pictures and videos of the dog doing "the act" because the urine drips down in between the wooden 2x6's and puddles onto our balcony. Gross, right?

Well, we have asked her to stop letting that happen too many times to count, it didn't accomplish anything, she still lets it out there.
We notified the HOA about her behavior and she has been fined by the HOA, it didn't accomplish anything, she still lets it out there.
I sent her video evidence to let her know that we are not stupid and that she can stop denying that her precious dog goes to the bathroom out there, it didn't accomplish anything, she still lets it out there.
I called the city to talk to someone who could help us resolve this issue, sent them the video and they had Animal Control pay her a visit. All that did was piss her off and leave us a nasty voicemail resorting to name calling and calling US disgusting for doing that to HER. She didn't let it out for about a week, then it started up again.

The HOA is now apparently fining the condo owner, who I have also contacted and has been sent the video by me. Guess what, she's still letting it out there!

The last time I called the HOA to let them know this was still happening, the manager told me she was moving out within weeks. In the back of my mind I thought, he's probably just telling me that because they are tired of hearing from me. I think I might have been right.

We are at our wits end and besides moving, what should we do? Why won't the owner evict her? Should I call animal control again? I'm a dog lover and I don't want her dog taken away from her, I just want her to stop doing whatever the hell she wants! Imagine if we lived above you and was doing this to you!

Here's the link to the video:
http://youtu.be/crRy1lT_MO0

Any advice is welcome, thanks.
Upper Michigan Dews
3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
Detangler: KCKT
Leave-in: CJ Repair me
Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Not sure if they can do anything, but the police or health board maybe?

What a horrible situation!!

Probably backfire because it's condoning it, but maybe suggest a litter box or something out there? A friend of my moms uses that (solid balcony though) for her dog, it's like a large litter box with grass in it.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • cheesycurlscheesycurls Registered Users Posts: 16
    I generally tend to lurk, but felt the urge to respond to this.

Find a cleaning service who will clean it up and get a quote in writing. Then write to your neighbour and tell her she will be charged for the cleaning, and if she doesn't pay you will take further action ie civil court. Cc it to your landlord/Spca/relevant authorities.

If one organisation gets involved it generally embarrasses the other organisations into actions.

Hope you get it solved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, CC,

I've tried contacting the police about this issue but they told me to deal with Animal Control. Although, I have a couple of nasty voicemails from her, maybe get her in trouble for harassment? I don't know.

I will try the health department tomorrow, (Monday).

I know it's winter now but this has been happening for about year now. I'm sure she's doing it for spite now.
    Upper Michigan Dews

I generally tend to lurk, but felt the urge to respond to this.

Find a cleaning service who will clean it up and get a quote in writing. Then write to your neighbour and tell her she will be charged for the cleaning, and if she doesn't pay you will take further action ie civil court. Cc it to your landlord/Spca/relevant authorities.

If one organisation gets involved it generally embarrasses the other organisations into actions.

Hope you get it solved.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using CurlTalk App

Thanks, Cheesy, that's a great idea also! I will send it to her and the man who owns the condo that she's renting. We own our unit, unfortunately, we would be out of here in a heartbeat if we were also renters. Slow market and too many other units for sale right now to try and sell.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Upper Michigan Dews

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    This could be suggested to her.
    Dog housetraining: The Pet Loo and Mini Wee at Drs. Foster and Smith

You could also get an estimate on the clean up & send it to the landlord, but that may not stop the peeing. The tenant is in the wrong, but the landlord needs to be the one to take care of this problem. You shouldn't have to be making all these calls.

I got this answer online.
    Instantly install plastic under the balcony above you. Tight close to the building and looser at the very end for drainage. You don't want urine all over your porch. Plus the smell from above will be brutal and the plastic will keep it above you and not on your boards as well.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    With the plastic though, won't the urine just be pouring down in front of them? Maybe a little better then on their deck, but hardly a solution.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    You're STILL having problems with this?? Are you serious!??? What kind of people is this, ugh!!

Maybe it's equally as disgusting, but I'd be taking a bucket out there and catching the pee, then pouring it all over their front doorstep every time it happens.

My fiance says, after all you've tried to get it to stop, is he'd walk up there and pee. lol He recommends plastic also. Or throwing the pee on their car.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    You're STILL having problems with this?? Are you serious!??? What kind of people is this, ugh!!

Maybe it's equally as disgusting, but I'd be taking a bucket out there and catching the pee, then pouring it all over their front doorstep every time it happens.

My fiance says, after all you've tried to get it to stop, is he'd walk up there and pee. lol He recommends plastic also. Or throwing the pee on their car.

Yes!!! Isn't it ridiculous that we are still fighting with this? We are good people, dag nabbit!

Yeah, I'm not touching her car, as I don't want our car touched, plus being charged with vandalism doesn't sound like fun.

We've already found feces on the hood of our Navigator and believed it to have blown off of her balcony after a really windy day. It was dried up didn't look "placed".

I've heard of people stapling pond liner to the bottom of the upper balcony or even filling in the cracks with the expanding insulating foam. I guess the pond liner/tarp would work but the fact of the matter is, she's too lazy to walk down a flight of stairs to let her dog out to pee.

People like her feel they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want without any reprocussions.

GRRRRRR!
    Upper Michigan Dews

She let it out again just now! Enough is enough!
    Upper Michigan Dews

• WumiWumi Registered Users Posts: 185
    I have been watching this, any updates? I would be ready to fight, I hate bad neighbors!

I agree with finding a way to collect the pee and returning it to them. I would use plastic and hope it drips into a bucket that you can sit on their porch for them.

Also, I would take pictures and line the wall with it so they and everyone else can be reminded of their filth everytime they come home.

As an animal lover I WOULD try to get the dog taken away. That poor thing's organs are probably suffering from all the holding in pee and feces. He is only allowed to go out on a porch to pee, so you know she doesn't take time to walk him like any other dog owner does.

I had nasty neighbors who were lazy like that. They would go on weekend trips and leave the dog inside for DAYs, BARKING all day for help or attention when he heard me move in my house through the cieling. Then when they would finally let him out he would pee on the PORCH of our building because he couldn't make it to the grass. I got sick of tracking through urine just to get home everyday. People like that should NOT have pets!

They also had loud arguments screaming at ungodly hours. They got sick of me calling the cops on them and moved away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I would call the health department, rather than animal control.

And, I would go about the business of protecting my property. To me, that would mean filling in the cracks of the patio above with expanding foam insulation, and covering it with something waterproof and aesthetically pleasing to look at from my side.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I would bombard the owner and the owner's mortgage company with angry letters and photos and repair estimates. But that's only after I had actually spoken with the owner.

There is a thing called Environmental Court. That's what it's called in my state. It could be called something else in yours. But that's what it deals with -- abandoned cars on private property, rat infestations in trailer parks, filthy conditions created by animals, etc. You can always file suit there. Get pics, videos, estimates, expert opinions, etc. You could file against the owner and tenant as co-litigants, if you can prove (certified mail) that you have attempted to communicate with them about the issue.

eta - if you do ay preventative maintenance or repairs, make sure you get at least two estimates and/or keep all receipts.

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    A neighbour of mine had an issue where the people above him use to put their dog's faeces down the rain drain. This would fall into the uncovered gutter in his garden.

After complaining in writing and over the phone to various authorities nothing happened. So he scooped some up in a plastic container and took it with him when he went to complain in person.

This did the trick.

They stopped pushing the faeces down the rain drain and must have started to put it down the toilet instead.

I also think something else happened i.e. a few other people had complained to animal cruelty as the dog was never let out and was extremely obese. I started seeing them taking the dog on very short walks. ( I had never seen such a round black Labrador in my life. ) Eventually they moved out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file