New curly here!

wolfmythswolfmyths Posts: 4Registered Users
Hello! I'm a 22 year old, curly-haired mama to be from CT. I'm always trying to figure out ways to embrace my curls and take care of them and I must say, it's tough work! I hope coming to this site and board will shed some light on what I need to do to keep my hair in top condition. I am not 100% sure where to start or what to do or what questions to ask!

To begin with, what type of curls would you say I have? I took the test and the test said 3b but I am not exactly positive if I'm 3a or 3b, opinions?

Also, anyone else feel the back of their hair is flat and less curly than the rest? I don't own a blowdryer so I air dry and can't seem to keep the weight off.

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    wolfmyths wrote: »
    Hello! I'm a 22 year old, curly-haired mama to be from CT. I'm always trying to figure out ways to embrace my curls and take care of them and I must say, it's tough work! I hope coming to this site and board will shed some light on what I need to do to keep my hair in top condition. I am not 100% sure where to start or what to do or what questions to ask!

To begin with, what type of curls would you say I have? I took the test and the test said 3b but I am not exactly positive if I'm 3a or 3b, opinions?

Also, anyone else feel the back of their hair is flat and less curly than the rest? I don't own a blowdryer so I air dry and can't seem to keep the weight off.

OMG, your hair is to-die-for. Your curls are SO beautiful. Welcome to the site. :)

My curls aren't as beautiful as yours but yes, the back of my hair is flatter and less curly than the rest. I usually wear my hair clipped up in a "slide" type barrette which looks nice and hides that portion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • wolfmythswolfmyths Posts: 4Registered Users
    Aw, thank you! I wish I always felt the same way about my curls as you do.

It's such a pain. I'm thinking I might need more layers during my next cut to maybe take away some of the weight. I need to invest in better clips as well. I only use bobby pins because I'm awful at styling hair.

Also, I can only judge by the picture in your signature but your hair looks extremely gorgeous and soft!
  • SoukiSouki Posts: 11Registered Users
    heey!! can I ask you your routine ? and whats work for you ? because we have exacty the same hair I think... except that mine are so dry...
  • wolfmythswolfmyths Posts: 4Registered Users
    Souki wrote: »
    heey!! can I ask you your routine ? and whats work for you ? because we have exacty the same hair I think... except that mine are so dry...

Sure! In the shower, I use Tresemme naturals shampoo & conditioner. I don't use the shampoo everyday and when I do, I use a very light amount and only on the roots of my hair.

After I rinse the shampoo out, I put conditioner in and let it sit while I wash. Then I comb my hair with a wide tooth comb, rinse out the conditioner, and run another small dollop of conditioner onto my hair. I rinse with cold water (its awful but its made a difference in how my hair dries.. less frizz).

Once out of the shower, I comb my hair while it's still very wet, ring it out, apply DevaCurl's light defining gel upside down. Apply 1-2 pumps of John Frieda's frizz-ease serum and wah-la. While my hair dries I shake out my roots so they don't go flat on me.

That's about it. I hope that all makes sense because I'm writing this before bed! I also occasionally do a hair mask (1/2 cup conditioner & 1/4 cup olive oil) which works WONDERS.

OGX coconut milk conditioner worked really well with my hair as well but I wanted to give Tresemme a try since it's cheaper.
  • SoukiSouki Posts: 11Registered Users
    yes yes it does make sense !! Ill start to use shampoo only on my roots too ! I use heavy mask with ricin oil, and I feel the need to shampoo all the hair, but ill stop doing that ! Also stick with a routine an use only shampoo when I feel the need too. Thank you for your help ! yesterday Ive used apple cider vinegar to rinse my hair, I love it ! you should try too if you didnt !
    Thaanks curly girl :)
    Btw is the John Frieda's frizz-ease serum without silicone ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file