did all the hair tests. where to go next?

BomerAngBomerAng Registered Users Posts: 31
I did the hair tests and came up that i have this type of hair.

fine hair
normal porosity
low elasticity
low density

Where do I go from here? Thanks!
CG since January 2015
2b/2c fine hair, normal porosity, low elasticity, low density
shampoo: rye flour
conditioner: deva one
gel: kccc and flaxseed

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    What are you trying to achieve?

Sounds an odd question but unless you post what your issues are and what you aim to achieve just doing the hair tests will not help you much.

BTW you are aware the porosity tests are junk science? The results for the floating test will depend on what products you have on your hair e.g. whether your hair is newly washed, and any build up. For it to be done properly you need someone to have a look at your hair under a microscope.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    On another thread, you mentioned that you are getting a Deva cut. Good haircut is an excellent place to start ! The stylist may be able to help you to see if you guessed right with your properties (as Blueblood mentioned, only the microscope can tell for sure.) They should demonstrate technique for styling your hair. If not, the newer Curly Girl Handbook has a DVD that really helps with that. In all likelihood, they will use Deva products on your hair. Many of us started out with Deva products, thought we liked them and then moved on to things we like a lot better.

Those are all places to start your journey. Once you know your properties, you can look for others with similar properties and see what they use. Then, it's time to experiment and learn about your hair and what it likes.

The other important thing you need to do is read, read and read some more. Learning is the best thing you can do.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BomerAngBomerAng Registered Users Posts: 31
    I thought we were all trying to achieve the same thing. Happy healthy curly hair. I dont want to straighten my hair any more. It is falling out and so damaged. Maybe i will just wait till next weekend to see what the stylist says so i can have a better idea at what im doing. Ill just throw it in a bun till then. The curly girl book is where i started. Its a great book.
    CG since January 2015
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    we are all trying to achieve healthy hair, but our expectations and our hair are different. i.e., some want more volume, some less, some tighter curl, some looser curl, some just went shine, others want definition...

and we all have specific problems that we want solved, LOL!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Fine hair usually needs protein.

Did you do the internet tests for your hair type or did you get an actual hair analysis under the microscope? I would recommend a hair analysis. I thought my hair was fine, but turns out it's mostly coarse.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Well i have a microscope and compared it to pics on the internet. Who knows if my conclusions are right. Im keeping a list of ?s to ask the stylist next week. We will see what she thinks
    CG since January 2015
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    BomerAng wrote: »
    I thought we were all trying to achieve the same thing. Happy healthy curly hair. I dont want to straighten my hair any more. It is falling out and so damaged. Maybe i will just wait till next weekend to see what the stylist says so i can have a better idea at what im doing. Ill just throw it in a bun till then. The curly girl book is where i started. Its a great book.

Folks are trying to help you, not offend you. It's hard to know what it is that you want to know, if your question is too general. Not exactly sure what you mean by this. It's true that we all want happy, healthy, curly hair--but that means different things to all of us. I think what rbb said is true. We all have different issues that we work with at different times. Where you live can be really important--water, dewpoints, available products, etc.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    BomerAng wrote: »

Folks are trying to help you, not offend you. It's hard to know what it is that you want to know, if your question is too general. Not exactly sure what you mean by this. It's true that we all want happy, healthy, curly hair--but that means different things to all of us. I think what rbb said is true. We all have different issues that we work with at different times. Where you live can be really important--water, dewpoints, available products, etc.

Understand. I'm so frustrated with my hair right now and torn on what to do or what I'm looking for to be honest.
    CG since January 2015
    I would recommend looking around the board at signatures of people with the same hair properties as you to see what products they use. You can try some of them and see how you like them. That's where a lot of us started.
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I would recommend looking around the board at signatures of people with the same hair properties as you to see what products they use. You can try some of them and see how you like them. That's where a lot of us started.

Thats a great idea! Thank you!
    CG since January 2015
    No problem! It's really hard to know where to start. Everyone's hair reacts differently.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights