DUI Checkpoints

Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
(Rant with illustrative aids, my opinion and question)

I am sure most of you have seen numerous videos going around Facebook over the last few years about people "owning cops" at check points, protecting their rights, refusing to roll down their window and holding up their signs.

Lawyer

Things of this nature are very popular on sites like Cop Block, many of which are known for giving false information, editing large chunks of dash cam footage out to make it appear like someone was tased for no apparent reason and reporting old and false stories about police brutality where they don't even bother to fact check or get the alleged victims names remotely right before distributing to the masses. I am not saying cases of police brutality do not happen or that I do not see the validity of some points made when addressing check points and individual rights. I do and I can. They have been ruled unconstitutional in a few states but the supreme court counters this. (I also agree that county/state governments have upped the number of citations officers must issue to bring in more money. Many act like this goes in the officers pocket. Haha. Check the pockets of law makers.) I am saying 99% of those sites feed crap to the masses and I still find someone holding up a sign at a CP to be an unnecessarily idiotic. This is why...

(DUI related accident videos. Hey, they show them drivers ed. Or used to, and I picked much milder ones than what they show)

http://youtu.be/5jUyZPr1q-8

http://youtu.be/dDG0qYi_MEE

http://youtu.be/PIzegVAdfAM

http://youtu.be/p0txjUHSLOA

^This one is more graphic/disturbing. Not gory but disturbing and the bellow has a language warning and is a prime example of what you should not do. Do not speed up and continue to follow a drunk driver, who you are making nervous, while wondering if you should call the police.

http://youtu.be/LjPW7pPStk8

CP's and tougher laws were started long ago after numerous families lost loved ones in accidents. MADD has been one of the strongest supporters of CP's, and increased CP's, for years. I understand where they are coming from and research shows they have helped save lives. If you have nothing to hide, roll thru and get it over with. I see no point in creating so much drama because you had to stop for moment and feel your rights were violated when that very same CP could and more than likely will stop someone from potentially killing you or your loved one.

What are your feelings on DUI Checkpoints?
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    My fiance loves to express his rights, and sometimes it's really annoying. I have no problem with checkpoints - I have my license, registration, and insurance and I'm in and out. If you have all that, why argue? There's this douche here in my town who takes videos of himself in checkpoints and people getting in accidents. Essentially, he's a cocky a-hole who wants to show the "stupidity of people". He got this cop so angry, it was kind of painful to watch. In the end, he ended up showing all his stuff and was on his way. smh...
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    My fiance loves to express his rights, and sometimes it's really annoying. I have no problem with checkpoints - I have my license, registration, and insurance and I'm in and out. If you have all that, why argue? There's this douche here in my town who takes videos of himself in checkpoints and people getting in accidents. Essentially, he's a cocky a-hole who wants to show the "stupidity of people". He got this cop so angry, it was kind of painful to watch. In the end, he ended up showing all his stuff and was on his way. smh...

That is just it. In almost every video they end up doing exactly what they could have done in 30 seconds but no!!! Have to draw it out for 10 minutes and post it on YouTube so everyone can tell you how bad ass you are, for no real reason. I honestly think it is more about pissing off the police or not liking them in general (and getting more views) than caring about protecting your rights. There are issues with illegal searches and seizures that can cross into violations of rights but pulling up at a DUI check point is in no way equal to an automatic search. Not rolling down your window however... That creates reasonable suspicion.

I watched a rather painful video with a guy who was walking down a road with a gun. Officers stopped, he started recording and automatically made a huge scene about his rights. He was in a residential community and a few people reported him. I take numerous calls of this nature. He does have every right to his gun but they also have a right to be concerned about a man walking down their street with a gun. It can and does qualify as suspicious to many. Most the time in my area, it's someone going hunting. They check them, everything is fine. That was the case with this guy but he would not shut up and let them do their job.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Can someone explain the issue?

Can someone explain the issue?

Many see check points as unconstitutional/a violation of your rights. So much so that they refuse to use roll down their window and speak to the officer as they pull up. I'm a little confused on the issue myself because driving under the influence is illegal and the number of deaths via a person under the influence is high. It is also part of a police officers duty to look for and help keep drunk drivers off the road. CP's have been proven to do so, time and time again. I can tell you from experience that people are taken in (and off the road) for drinking and driving in my town, every time they have one. Someone that was tested, found to be over the legal limit, and who could have killed half a dozen on the way home. People also take issues with searches of vehicles during stops. There is no warrant, the car is your property, etc. This is not a huge a worry for most. Rolling down your window is not a huge worry for most. Of course, the more suspicious you act, the greater the likelihood of being searched becomes. So, many have and are still trying to do away with DUI checkpoints and have them found unconstitutional in a court of law. Most of the time the largest supporters of this are people who have had more than one DUI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Who would think that a DUI Lawyer would give you good advice?? This is how they make their living. Of course they want you to refuse to roll down your window and hold up an incorrect sign. That's an automatic pull over!!

ETA: I do get several aspects of not sacrificing your rights for personal security. That is how I feel about schools monitoring kids facebook accounts. 99% of the stories you hear show it is often abused more than used to monitor for signs of someone that wants to hurt others or their self. So and so took a picture I find vulgar off school grounds... Suspended for 2 weeks!! That is over reach thay goes far above and beyond a school principals duties. It goes above and beyond the parents and is also very subjective. Also, in the grand statistical scheme of things, school shootings are rare. Most studies include shootings or suicides that happened off school grounds/but somewhere close to the school/and not even involving students in their data to jack it up. Drunk driving accidents are in the thousands upon thousands each year and teens are the majority of the victims.

I am not saying a school monitoring social media could not help some, just as I wouldn't say some officers do not over reach durimg check points, but that the growing number of court cases shows that it is more often abused. Just like the research shows check points help more than they hurt.

** This is from MADD via the Highway/Traffic Safety Admin.

In 2013, 10,076 people died in drunk driving crashes and 290,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes.

If you did not watch the second video I posted, the dash cam video of a trashed 21 year olds belligerent reaction after learning she just killed someone in 2010... Do. Sadly, most your drunk drivers who were caught and suspended end up driving anyway, which is why the interlock devices are a good idea. I can't tell you how many people I run who have 5 page driving histories, 9000 DUI's, a tons of driving on a revoked and they continue to do it. You'll even find them drunk on 4 wheelers, riding down the highway, at 3 am. You can not stop things from happening but drunk driving accidents/deaths have been cut in half since check points were started.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file