bees?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
Anyone have any experience keeping honey bees?

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    I co-keep bees with a friend. We are part of our local beekeeping association. I'm the current president, not that it means anything. No one else wanted to do it.
    Do you have bees or are you thinking of starting keeping them?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    lolo918 wrote: »
    I co-keep bees with a friend. We are part of our local beekeeping association. I'm the current president, not that it means anything. No one else wanted to do it.
    Do you have bees or are you thinking of starting keeping them?

I love LOVE LOVE certain kinds of raw honey. I would love to have access to my own to use and sell. My former sister-in-law has mentioned wanted to keep bees and the idea sounds intriguing. I have a bigger yard than she does. And I always see honeycombs popping up all over house, garage and porch...tho they might belong to yellow jackets. IDK I plan to return to a rural area down south and might want to restart it there. But I live in Ohio now.

How did you get involved with that? Can you explain what you do? Is it esp dangerous and/or time consuming? thnx

• lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    My friend started keeping bees first, and I went to some bee meetings at first. Then an older member offered to let us come assist with his hives. After that I got hooked. Bees aren't a ton of work but they do require quite a lot of equipment. To harvest and sell, you'd need 2 to 3 (or more) hives at which point it would start getting more time consuming. We check them regularly, to see if they've got enough honey to eat, a laying queen, and brood to keep the hive going. We feed a sugar mix in the fall, and stop going in right before it gets cold then pretty much stay away until it gets warmer.

It took me a long time but I finally got stung when I went without gloves, and another time when I wore tighter jeans. I expect if I had my own hives in the backyard I'd get stung more. Unless you have really aggressive bees walking a few yards away from the hive is usually all that's required to get out of stinging territory. Otherwise I don't consider it too dangerous. I know one book I read was from beekeepers in Vermont, so Ohio would be okay too I would think. Definitely get in contact with a local bee club or contact your state agriculture office. Our contact is in vdacs- Virginia department of agriculture and consumer services. They usually know bee clubs, and was our January guest speaker.

3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file