Utterly SICK of this hair, damn it!!

acarricoacarrico Registered Users Posts: 60
I have committed to staying natural this time. BUT I am so sick of this hair. Every damn day it is different. I can never just get up and have the same style. Tired of looking like a frizz patch after every lunch time run. And starting all over again. I am a "type A"/control freak personality with THIS crazy curl growing out of my head. If this isn't God's lesson to me to just "let it go" I don't know what is. And WHY can't I just let it go????

I am tired of feeling like I should crawl under a rock for 90% of my waking hours. DAMN IT!

Ok, I just had to vent to a bunch of curlies who would "get" it. I use the curly girl method, my hair has improved so much over the last few years -- but I just can never "be happy" with it. I need a freaking hair therapist! Who spends this much time worrying about their damn hair? I feel so shallow!!

Comments

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    Omg no you are not alone and you are not shallow. Personally, I feel like my hair has a big impact on my confidence level. And I find that it sometimes makes or breaks how I feel that day. I carry that frustration around all day, sometimes.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Girrlll.. I feel you! It's a tough road, and just when you figure it out it all changes. Too many factors. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and see what you've changed or if your environment has changed and go from there. Hair is my thing... so if I'm not happy with it I feel unattractive. It's a big part of a person, because it's one of the first things everyone sees. You can always get away from CG if it's not working for you. If that doesn't work either, you can always come back to CG. I alternate sometimes, it's good to have options.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Acarrico, how my hair is on any day has more of an influence on how I look then how much sleep I had, how much I weigh, what makeup I have on, what I am wearing, etc.

It's the the unpredictability factor. As you said "Every damn day it is different. I can never just get up and have the same style." I really think that's the biggest problem.

I totally get why you are frustrated and you aren't shallow. For the vast majority of us, our appearance does affect our self-esteem - it's a fact of life.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with curlypearl -- my hair is the most important thing to me about my appearance.
    it is the FIRST thing that we notice about anyone -- their hair. if i am having a good hair day, i can wear a sweatshirt and feel good. i think our hair also says a lot about who we are, it's a statement for us. and i think it sets the tone for how we look, and that effects how we feel. bottom line. shallow or not, that is how it is.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • acarricoacarrico Registered Users Posts: 60
    WOW!!! Thank you so much for the encouraging words! Nice to hear that others feels the same way. I hate that it dictates my "self esteem" for the day. I guess it is just something I will have to struggle with. Today I feel a bit better. And trying to follow the whole "less is more" approach. Because the more I mess with it, the crazier it gets!! LOL. Again, thank you for the responses. Love the kindred spirits here!
  • GlamourCurlsGlamourCurls Registered Users Posts: 194
    Preaching to the choir girlfriend!!
    Fine 3B/C curls.
    Currently growing out damage caused by straightening and coloring.
  • hookilauhookilau Registered Users Posts: 269
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Girrlll.. I feel you! It's a tough road, and just when you figure it out it all changes. Too many factors. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and see what you've changed or if your environment has changed and go from there. Hair is my thing... so if I'm not happy with it I feel unattractive. It's a big part of a person, because it's one of the first things everyone sees. You can always get away from CG if it's not working for you. If that doesn't work either, you can always come back to CG. I alternate sometimes, it's good to have options.

Totally agree with this. For me, I had to give it all up and find something else to occupy my time. There came a point where the minutia of hair care/styling/products just took over.

No one understood the lingo or the reasons behind all this stuff. As I found myself explainng the lay of the land, so that they could appreciate my glee/frustration/confusion/product discovery, I realized I sounded nuts.

So, last Spring, I got a pixie and went back to blow drying it straight. I was happy with that for a long time, then Summer & all it's precious humidity rolled around.

By the time I was due for my third cut, I'd started giving my waves the side-eye again :lovestory:

I'd not thrown out my products, so I just pulled them out and slowly started getting back to the swing of things. KCCC forgave me & it was as if we'd never been apart.

My hair is acting completely different this time around than last. Either that, or I'm able to appreciate changes and make appropriate choices. maybe we both grew up, lol.

I'm not saying chop it all off, just that I feel ya
    :hello2:
    Following CG
    fine, medium-low density :confused5:
    protein loving, porous, elasticity ?

Co-wash: Tresemme Perfectly Undone
    LI/RO: GVP Conditioning Balm, Jane Carter Solutions Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
    Stylers: KCCC, AG recoil, CurlKeeper, As I am curling pudding
    Protein treatments: Aphogee's Keratin 2 minute reconstructor, and Colorful neutral protein filler

Loves: aloe, glycerin & polyquats even in neg dews
    :happy3:
  • acarricoacarrico Registered Users Posts: 60
    I got some new product (kinky curly) and that is changing things up for me a bit. Enuf to give me hope. :). I think once I get a bit more length I will be happier. I cut out the straight bits so it is shorter than I like.
  • kalligreykalligrey Registered Users Posts: 5
    i know how you feel :( i just recently started wearing my hair curly and it's so stressful sometimes. not knowing whether it'll look good in an hour or two :( but i've just started the curly girl method so who knows, maybe i'll gain something from this. i hope you figure it out soon, being frustrated with your hair is no fun :(
    American living in Scotland
    2c/3a :tongue5:
    trying to find what works for me, any suggestions are appriciated! :sunny:
    Shampoo: (only once a week and it’s sulfate free!) Loreal EverRiche Nourishing and Flowing
    Conditioners: Cleansing - Superdrug Extracts (coconut&sweet almond, green apple&tea tree), Tresemme Vibrant Naturals
    Leave-In: Schwarzkopf Gliss Liquid Silk Express Repair Conditioner, Shea Moisture Yucca and Baobab Thickening Growth Milk.
    Styler: Boots Essentials Curl Creme
  • saradatangiralasaradatangirala Registered Users Posts: 4
    This pretty much sums up my relationship with my hair! I have sorta type 3C-- super curly/kinky. When I don't have the energy to straight iron my hair, I just wanna crawl into a hole and forget I'm part of the world. Then after I straighten, I don't want to wash it again (I know, gross!) because then the carriage turns back into a pumpkin, the horses back into mice. Makes me sad every time!
  • amy51373amy51373 SW MissouriRegistered Users Posts: 1,205 Curl Connoisseur
    This is how I ended up with a hair appointment today. Luckily I have a Deva stylist close by and she's super cheap for a deva cut. At least I know my hair will look good today...too bad the Deva products make my hair super tangled underneath so I already know I won't be able to replicate it tomorrow. :dontknow:
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • hambo02hambo02 Registered Users Posts: 480
    I had long hair down to my bra strap and I just got it cut all off. normally I hate my hair short and I freak out when it gone cos I dont feel pretty but I got an inverted boob with it really short in the back almost boylike in the back. I loove it short. My hair now takes 15 min to dry. It takes me 10 min to shower and 3 min to do my hair now. where before it was 30 min shower and 15 min of doing hair. If i wanted to defuse it use to take me 20 min, now takes 5. Hair grows back and for me right now short it way better. my hair before would always be on my neck, get caught on my seat belt and purse. I hated it around my face. I felt burried in my hair. I will probably grow it back out just because i always do but maybe not.
  • MsPMsP Registered Users Posts: 116
    You know a Brazilian Keratin Treatment is SO easy to flat iron in the hair. Afterward, you will have frizz free curls! Just go to uncurly.com and you will love your hair.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file